www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 28th, 2007, 14:48   #1
CFM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All-time best of 73.2 mpg so far...
Default Saturn TDI Conversion

This is eventually going to be swapped into my '95 SW2 (the blue wagon seen in the background), but first I'm putting it in a '95 SL2 beater/R&D test mule to work it all out. The swap has gone very well so far; the '97 AHU drivetrain fits really nice in the Saturn engine bay and actually turned out to be a physically smaller package than the origional Saturn twin cam motor, although I had to modify the engine cradle to make it fit properly. I've done more than is shown here, just wanted to post some pictures to get the thread started.

CFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 18:53   #2
dbywaters

TDI(s): 99 NB Yellow
Smile Great looking job

As a owner of several SL2 and SL1 coups in the past few years I believe you will have one super high economy car when done. My 96 SL2 averages around 35mpg, and I have seen 40 mpg on a couple occasions. The TDI should really do well!

My hat is off to you for making this work!
Great photos too!

Doug

99 Passat TDI (to be completed some day soon, I hope)
dbywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 21:09   #3
named tintin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf tdi

That it's a kind of work which I like to see, It's a beautiful work.
Which is the plan for the Axle?
named tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 22:31   #4
Beta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 24-30

wow- tools to make tools! The logic escapes me but you have some incredible work there. I look forward to your progress.
07 640 adventure
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:03   #5
CFM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great feedback! The axles are going to be a hybrid, using a pair of VW passenger-side axles (because they are made with thick-wall tubing) with a bushing to accept the outer half of the Saturn axle. I've got the bushings out being machined, and I'll post some pictures of them when I get them back.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:54   #6
sdturbo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

What did you use to cut this?

PM me for fab or mechanic work.
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:03   #7
CFM
Veteran Member

I work in a sheetmetal shop with some very talented people...I designed the pieces and had them drawn up by our programmer. These were run through a CNC punch press and bent on a CNC brake. I do a lot of TIG welding, so I welded the crossmember myself (it's shown in the picture tack-welded together to test for fitment before final welding).
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:13   #8
sdturbo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM
I work in a sheetmetal shop with some very talented people...I designed the pieces and had them drawn up by our programmer. These were run through a CNC punch press and bent on a CNC brake. I do a lot of TIG welding, so I welded the crossmember myself (it's shown in the picture tack-welded together to test for fitment before final welding).
Damn. I guess ill stick with the plasma cutter :-/
PM me for fab or mechanic work.
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 15:15   #9
G60ING
Veteran Member

I was a big naysayer and probaly one of the larger ***** when you first poised the saturn idea. Your work is impressive. I don't see you having any issues in getting the rest sorted. Just holler if you do and I'm certain you get the answers to get the job done
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:17   #10
CFM
Veteran Member

Smile

Thanks! I have this thing for fit, finish, and function, so I like to make nice stuff. All the TDI swaps I've seen on this forum have all been thought through and well executed, and it's great to have the support of so many talented and knowlegable people here.
Old November 1st, 2007, 19:21   #11
tdIraddo

wow. great project.
any idea how similar the SL2 is to a Vue? i've been contemplating a swap for the space/offroad 'ability' of a small SUV, and i really like the Vue.

great work :thumbup:
tdIraddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 23:27   #12
vwmikel

I still think this is a rather strange swap....and I can't say it's anything I would do. It's sort of like turbocharging a Ford Taurus....I'd still have a Taurus. But, you actually have skill....something that is unexpected in this day and age. This is going to be the nicest damn Saturn TDI anywhere

It will be interesting to see how you solve some of the fitment and electrical issues.

vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:21   #13
iamwardicus

TDI(s): none yet...

you will definitly get incredible fuel economey out of that test saturn. My parents have a SL2 gasser and it gets 35-44mpg depending on who's driving it. nice work so far!
iamwardicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:43   #14
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

Nice fab work! Very nice.

wanna come to Georgia and help me plant a tdi in a 1995 toyota 4runner?
RoundHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 15:21   #15
CFM
Veteran Member

Here's a couple more progress shots: In order to use the Saturn clutch master cylinder with the VW clutch slave cylinder, I had to make a couple of adapters. I machined a new fitting out of T304 with an AN-4 fitting TIG-welded on to allow using the Saturn cmc with an AN-4 teflon hose. On the other end, I just got a piece of T304 3/16" bubble flared line to use the VW threaded fitting on one end, and TIG-welded a T304 AN-4 fitting on the other.

I designed a sheetmetal box arrangement that uses the VW throttle pedal and potentiometer, allowing it to bolt to the Saturn firewall. Not shown is a second bracket that supports it on the other end and bolts to a factory crossbrace under the dash.

Still sorting through the wiring harness; I have most of it figured out, although there are still a few things I'm still working through and will be asking some questions about it soon. I also test-fit the Saturn radiator and fan shroud today...I discovered that it fits fine but doesn't allow any room for changing the oil filter, so I'll likely remote-mount the filter next to the starter.

Thanks again for all the great input and remarks on this project!