new acronym/abbreviation list

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thought I'd post this to clarify some of those pesky acronyms we see here all the time. This has been done before, but it has been a LONG time.

First, for any that do not know, an "acronym" is the term used for a group of letters that stand for something, and are often made into a word themselves. Some of my list contains true acronyms, some are merely abbreviations, but both are used frequently.

Automotive electronics:

OBD: On-Board Diagnostics. This is a vehicle's self-contained ability to monitor, store, and display what is not going correctly in the form of some sort of code (see below). OBD2 is the second generation of OBD that was mandated by congress and adopted globally. Most 1996 and newer cars are OBD2 compliant. The 1996 Passat TDI is OBD-D compliant, which is very similar to OBD2.

DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code. This is the OBD systems way of informing the technician of what has gone outside tolerable limits. These can be displayed in forms like blinking lights or as alpha-numeric text via a scantool. There are MANY DTCs. Generic DTCs are displayed the same for all OBD2 compliant vehicles. If the DTC starts with P it for Powertrain, C is for Chassis, B is for Body, etc. Volkswagen however also uses a 5 digit proprietary DTC, which is all numbers. An OBD2 compliant Volkswagen will store both, but a generic scan tool will only display the generic ones, and often do not give you the full story.

EDC: Electronic Diesel Control. Sometimes used in conjunction with a number, indicating Bosch's series of EDC. For instance, EDC15 was used in TDIs with rotary pumps, and EDC16 is used in TDIs with unit pumps (PDs). The new-for-2009 Common Rail TDI will employ Bosch's new EDC17 system.

SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers. Organization set in place to set standards for a wide range of automotive protocols, including those of OBD2. A generic Pxxxx DTC is an SAE numbered code. SAE also sets the weights of lubricants, as well as little things like light bulb fitment, automatic transmission gear selector sequence, etc.

CAN: Controller Area Network. This is essentially a Bosch term. As is usually the case, the Germans set many standards for cars, and the network by which the various computers communicate within the car is one of them. The CAN is simply the network that the computers use to talk to one another, via a dedicated CAN wire, or "bus". Volkwagen has had CAN for a long time, but on US cars the system was "dumbed down" through the CAN-gateway so the scan tools could talk to the car. Most 2004-up cars now have full CAN communication protocols even for diagnostics. CAN allows for a much faster communication baud rate with the scan tool.

DLC: Data Link Connector. Usually located in the driver's footwell area, this 16 pin connector is what allows you to attach a scan tool to the car's various computer systems for diagnostic and modification purposes. If the car is full CAN-enabled, you will need a CAN capable scan tool to connect. Most 2004-up cars are like this. The size, shape, and design of the connector is an SAE standardized one, but some cars have a harder time fitting some OBD2 cables that others.

ECU: Electronic Control Unit. Also sometimes called an Engine Control Unit, but ECU can mean anything that is electronic and controls something else. Any modern Volkswagen has oodles of these. Even the glow plug "relay" is really an ECU. Same for the turn signal flasher.

ECM: Engine Control Module. Sometimes called ECU or engine ECU. This is the computer that controls the engine functions. In the TDI and many other drive-by-wire cars it also controls the cruise control.

TCM: Transmission Control Module. The computer that controls the automatic transmissions. Any Volkswagen built in the last 15+ years has an electronic controlled automatic transmission. Manual cars do not have this, obviously. Yes, the DSG is STILL an automatic transmission.

MIL: Malfuntion Indicator Lamp. Sometimes called the "Check Engine Light" ( CEL ) this is the little orange light that comes on when a fault is detected by the engine ECU worthy of alerting the driver. This merely lets the driver know a DTC has been stored, and a scan tool connected to the DLC is the only way* to retrieve it and diagnose the problem. MANY things can cause the MIL to illuminate.

* if you still have an early 1996 Passat with the BK suffix ECU running OBD-D, there is an option for blink codes by jumping two terminals in the DLC. These are mostly no longer in service due to a recall to replace them, but there may still be a few out there. However the scan tool will still also work on these.

ABS: Anti-Lock Braking System. Been around a while, I think we all know what this is. The "ABS" light will come on and stay on of the ABS ECU has detected a fault. This too can be diagnosed with a scan tool via the DLC.

SRS: Supplemental Restraint System. More than just "airbags", this is a complex system of sensors, switches, pyrotechnics that help to keep people safe in the event of a collision. Like the other systems, the SRS can be diagnosed via the DLC if the light comes on and does not go out.

CCM: Comfort Convenience Module. This is the ECU that Volkswagens (newer ones, anyways) use to control some onboard funtions like keyless entry, power windows, power locks, etc. Communication via the DLC is the same as many other ECUs.

ESP: Electronic Stability Control. This (if equipped) allows the car to be corrected via the engine and ABS systems if you go into a skid, or the wheels slip going around a turn, etc. Safety device, some carmakers call it VSC (vehicle skid control).

EDL: Electronic Differential Lock. Uses the drive wheels' calipers by means of the ABS to squeeze a wheel that is slipping under poor traction conditions to force applied torque to the other drive wheel.

ASR: Anti-Slip Regulation. Uses the engine's management to limit output to prevent wheelspin in poor traction conditions.

MAF: Mass Air Flow. This is a sensor that uses either a hot wire or hot film that gets "cooled" by the incoming air to the engine to cause a change in electrical current which the ECU "reads" to determine just how much air is coming into the engine.

MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure. This sensor generates a voltage based on positive pressure OR vacuum in the intake system and allows the ECU to calculate the boost level in the engine in order to control the turbocharger. Many non-turbo cars use these as well for fuel calculations. Volkswagen often refers to these as a 'thrust sensor'.

VNT: Variable Nozzle Turbo. This is a type of turbocharger that some engines use that differs from the older wastegated variety. These use numerous vanes to duct the exhaust gasses past the turbocharger's compressor wheel to generate positive pressure (boost). These vanes' pitch can be varied by means of the VNT actuator which is usually vacuum controlled but sometimes electric servo controlled.

DMF: Dual Mass Flywheel. A type of flywheel that utilizes two main parts dampened internally from one another with a series of springs and gears.

Other info:

GFF: Guided Fault Finding, which means VAG's way of hand holding moron techs through a useless and convoluted diagnostic procedure insuring that they cannot think outside the box, nor draw on any real world experience with anything. It's disgusting. It turns good techs to mushroom-brained robots, and draws in bad techs to stay forever.

VAG: Volkswagen, AG. The parent company of Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley car lines, as well as some other smaller companies like Volkswagen Marine and Industrial engines, etc. VAG recently purchased a controlling interest in the Scania truck maker (formerly part of Saab). VAG is now majority owned by Porsche, AG.

VAG-COM: This is a PC-based software provided by www.ross-tech.com and is made exclusively for use on VAG products. Now known as 'VCDS', or Vag Com Diagnostic Software.

VCDS: see above

Mechanical terms:

CV joint: Constant Velocity joint. These are used at each end of each axle to allow the wheels to go up and down and pivot while power is transfered from the powertrain. They have boots that sometimes need servicing.

DSG: Direct Shift Gearbox. Volkswagen's fancy name for their automated manual transmission. The unit is sometimes called the 02E.

TTY: Torque To Yield. Refers to fasteners (typically bolts) that are tightened in a manner that is not measured by the actual force on them but rather done by means of measuring the rotational angle in degrees.

EGT: Exhaust Gas Temperature. This is the tempurature of the exhaust gas as it exits the cylinder head, BEFORE the turbocharger. Useful to know for modding as well as for catalyst regeneration and closed loop fuel control (PD).

IAT: Intake Air Temperature. Some cars use a sensor to read the air coming into the engine to modify fuel delivery strategies, and it can also be used as a back-up or check for the MAF sensor.

EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation, a mechanism to lower a specific pollutant, NOx (see below)

NOx: Nitrides of Oxygen, a pollutant formed from high temps and pressure (as inside a combustion chamber) forcing Nitrogen to bond with Oxygen.

SCR: Selective Catalyst Reduction, a mechanism to lower NOx, post combustion, using a urea (DEF, see below) injection system to release the nitrogen-oxygen bond and turn it into water, oxygen, nitrogen

DEF: Diesel Exhaust Fluid

DPF: Diesel Particulate Filter

TDI: Turbo Direct Injection. VAG's name for their newer diesel engines.

SDI: Sauger Direct Injection (may be mispelled). The non-turbo version of the TDI not sold in North America. Sauger means "suck" in German I think.

IDI: InDirect Injection. Refers to VAG's older diesels, pre-TDI (as well as many other makes of diesels before direct injection became commonplace in light duty diesels).

TD: Turbo Diesel.

US-spec TDI Engines:

VE: Vertielerpumpen, denotes style of Bosch diesel injection pump used on all IDI VAG diesels and TDIs through 2003 US cars.

PD: Pumpe Duese, denotes the unit injector diesel injection system used on 2004 through 2006 model year US cars.

CR: Common Rail, denotes the type of diesel injection system used on 2009+ US cars.

1Z: 90hp 1.9L early style used in the 1996 and 1997 Passat Bosch VE equipped

AHU: virtually identical to the 1Z, used in 1997 through early 1999 Jetta Bosch VE equipped

ALH: 90hp 1.9L late style engine, with VNT and Bosch VE injection pump, used in 1998 through 2003 New Beetle, late 1999 through 2003 Golf and Jetta

BEW: 100hp 1.9L "Pumpe Deuse" unit injector engine used in 2004+ New Beetle, 2004+ A4 chassis Golf, 2004 to early 2005 A4 chassis Jetta sedan, 2004 to 2005 Jetta Wagon

BHW: 134/136hp 2.0L PD engine used in 2004 and 2005 Passat

BRM: 100hp 1.9L PD engine used in late 2005 and 2006 Jetta sedan

BKW: 310hp 5.0L PD V10 used in various years of Touareg

CBEA: 140hp 2.0L "Common Rail" engine used in 2009+ Jetta sedan/wagon

CJAA: 140hp 2.0L "Common Rail" engine very similar to the CBEA

CKRA: 140hp 2.0L "Common Rail" engine used on the 2012+ Passat NMS (often inaccurately referred to as the B7, which uses the CFFN engine). Changes made include an air-to-water intercooler and a Borg-Warner BV40 turbo.

CRUA: 150hp CR engine used in 2015 Golf, Golf Sportwagon, Audi A3

CVCA: same as above, used in 2015 Beetle, Jetta sedan, and Passat

Last edited:

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
Great start, OH. Thanks for the post. I'm trying to get a concise dictionary to email to clients...

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
If we are going to define things from the owners manual such as ESP.... we may as well also mention these also.

EDL (Electronic Differential Lock).... While accellerating, if one of the drive-wheels starts to spin due to slippery conditions, the brake on the that wheel is tactfully applied by the computer to send the torque to the other drivewheel.

ASR - (Anti Slip Regulation) - While accellerating, if BOTH drive wheel start to spin, the computer takes over and cuts engine power. (reguardless of throttle position)

I can attest that I can mash the throttle in 1st gear in the snow and the above 2 systems kick in to provide smooth-even accelleration with minimal wheelspin.

Last edited:

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Here it is....

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1865881#post1865881

twigless said:
a couple other forums:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=66465
(but this one has a lot of non car-related terms)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=57924

I thought I remember finding a great site here on tdiclub, but I can't locate it anymore. It was a good couple hundred acros.

It's been mentioned before to make it a sticky, but I think it should be a sticky along with a post to the FAQ forum.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
TIT - Turbine Inlet Temperature
EDL - Electronic Differential Lock
EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature (post Turbine)
CRI - Common Rail Injection

Do you guys want a list of CRI accronyms coming for 2008?

DB

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a Word document ... some 11 pages with 2 columns on the pages. To access it, all you need to do is sign into the Photos section of TDIClub, and click on the graphic labeled, as I recall, acronymns. Pops right up. Just checked.

I requested from the moderator to have it posted as a sticky ... but this was the best they offered. Wish it were more visible so that others, like the posters herein, could email me with suggestions to be added ... which is simple as heck.
doon

twigless said:
I've seen your post before, and either I'm blind, or it just doesn't have very many acros. I clicked the link, and it's just a few photos...
I remember seeing a site with 100-200 acros and their meanings, but not definitions like OH is working here.

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
Drivbiwire said:
Do you guys want a list of CRI accronyms coming for 2008?

DB
Yes, I think that will be useful! I hope, OH, that you're ready for some work! I really like the glossary format (with defs and all), though you'll probably soon have to alphabetize it for ease of use.
Thanks again, everybody!

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I was trying to break it down by classification of sorts, but by alphabet is probably a better bet.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
how about including abbreviations like imo (in my opinion) imho (in my honest opinion) lol`s (lots of laughs) I find some of these that I have no clue what they mean!? Stll learning, Thanx

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I always thought that imho was "in my humble opinion" - lol - "laugh out loud", so I guess these things mean different things to different people.

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
doonboggle said:
It's a Word document
...aaahhh, thanks. Yeah, that is a great list. This would be a good website addition, rather than just a document or forum page. I'm thinking on the TDIwiki, have the full acro list with just the word meaning, and if there's a definition to be attached, have a floating window or a hotlink to the def. That way it doesn't get ridiculously cluttered. Your 11 pages are great, but sometimes it would be good to have more than just an index.
Thanks all for the work.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I'd go ahead and add "CEL" next to the words Check engine Light just to help the search function.

TTY bolts

Do you want to add oil information? 0w-40, 505.01 etc?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
oilhammer said:
MIL: Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Sometimes called the "Check Engine Light" this is the little orange light that comes on when a fault is detected by the engine ECU worthy of alerting the driver. This merely lets the driver know a DTC has been stored, and a scan tool connected to the DLC is the only way to retrieve it and diagnose the problem. MANY things can cause the MIL to illuminate.
Please revise the bolded words to something to account for the fact that the OBD-D (1996 original BK series ECU) has provisions for a MIL blink code output without the need for a scan tool or other code retrieval device connected to the DLC port.
The OBD-II ECUs require a scan tool, but the OBD-D ECU additionally supports blink code output, so "only" way as identified in your post is not correct for all ECU.

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the kind words. Now if only I could figure out how to have the moderators to post in an open format, so that one does not have to sign-in to the photo section, it'd be great.

Or even if I could, myself, figure out how to post it into one post ... open of course.
doon

twigless said:
...aaahhh, thanks. Yeah, that is a great list. This would be a good website addition, rather than just a document or forum page. I'm thinking on the TDIwiki, have the full acro list with just the word meaning, and if there's a definition to be attached, have a floating window or a hotlink to the def. That way it doesn't get ridiculously cluttered. Your 11 pages are great, but sometimes it would be good to have more than just an index.
Thanks all for the work.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Lug_Nut said:
Please revise the bolded words to something to account for the fact that the OBD-D (1996 original BK series ECU) has provisions for a MIL blink code output without the need for a scan tool or other code retrieval device connected to the DLC port.
The OBD-II ECUs require a scan tool, but the OBD-D ECU additionally supports blink code output, so "only" way as identified in your post is not correct for all ECU.
Oh the dredded BK ECU, Why people didn't get the free upgrade to the FA to facilitate batter OBD diagnostics and tweaking of the EGR duty cycles not to mention updated injectors is beyond me :D

DB

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, not too many BK ECUs in service anymore, but Lug Nut does have a valid point nonetheless.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Here's One that got e-mailed to me:

> Special High Intensity Training

> In order to assure the highest level of quality work and productivity
> from employees, it will be our policy to keep all employees well
> trained through our program of Special High Intensity Training
> (S.H.I.T.). We are trying to give our employees more S.H.I.T. than any
> other company.

> Since your managers took S.H.I.T. before they were promoted, they do
> not have to do S.H.I.T. anymore, because they are full of S.H.I.T.
> already.
>
> If you feel that you do not receive your fair share of S.H.I.T. on the
> job, please see your supervisor. You will be immediately placed at the
> top of the S.H.I.T. list, and our managers are especially skilled at
> seeing that you get all the S.H.I.T. that you can handle. Employees
> who do not take the S.H.I.T. will be put in the Departmental Employee
> Evaluation Program (D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T.). Those who fail to take
> D.E.E.P. S.H.I.T. seriously will be forced into Employee Attitude Training
> (E.A.T. S.H.I.T.).
>
> If you are full of S.H.I.T., you may be interested in a job training
> others. We can add your name to the Basic Understanding Lecture List
> (B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T.). Those who are full of B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T. will get
> S.H.I.T. jobs, and can apply for promotion to Director of Intensity
> Policy (D.I.P. S.H.I.T.). If you have any questions, please direct
> them to the Head Of Training, Special High Intensity Training (H.O.T.
> S.H.I.T.).

Not mine, I'm just the messenger.

--Nate

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Drivbiwire said:
Oh the dreaded BK ECU, Why people didn't get the free upgrade to the FA to facilitate better OBD diagnostics and tweaking of the EGR duty cycles, not to mention updated injectors, is beyond me. :DDB
We're too cheap.;)
My first B4 had the exchange to GQ (I refuse to call less power, lower fuel economy an "upgrade".) becuse it was covered under the CARB emissions warranty (one advantage to being in one of the five other CARB states). My others have had too many miles to be eligible for VW to foot the bill and I'm certainly not about to. The FA was for the 97 with water cooled EGR. The GQ was for the 96 which wasn't water cooled and it didn't (like the BK) provide for EGR duty cycle modification.
If it weren't for the OBD II (no blink) JB ECU in my recently purchased 98 Jetta, I'd not have had to buy a VAG-COM of my own.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
If it weren't for the OBD II (no blink) JB ECU in my recently purchased 98 Jetta, I'd not have had to buy a VAG-COM of my own.
LOL! How exactly do you read datastreams with a blinking light? Imean Morse code is only so fast! :D

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
DMF: dual mass flywheel

(you used it in your some new problems to watch out for thread, that's where I found it)(and I'm not lurking around looking for these, just happened across this while researching auto trannys for my brother).

Thanks.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Very informative thread.
Two more we can't forget:
LSD(low sulphur diesel)
ULSD(ultra low sulphur diesel)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm guilty of using CEL instead of MIL, but this is wrong. The Check Engine Light rarely if ever indicates an engine problem. I resolve to use MIL in the future.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
AGR, AFN, a couple more engine codes but what about pita? I didn't see that in the list.:D

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
What does R&P stand for? I know it is a swap of some kind regarding manual gear boxes.
TIA

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Bump for 2013. Check out post #1, newbies - all of the TDI-related acronyms you've always wondered about. :cool: