www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 18th, 2007, 06:28   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Tires: Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Energy MXV4 S8?

First off Costco is offering $60 off a set of Michelin tires WITHOUT their coupon, until early November. Its right on their home page. This may be a good time to get a membership (its free) if you want Michelins and if Costco is in your locale:

http://www.costco.com/HOME.aspx

I plan to take advantage of this, since I need new tires.

I plan on getting either the Primacy MXV4 or the Energy MXV4 S8. I am leaning towards the Primacy. Both are within a dollar, pricewise. $119 vs. $120 each, plus $10 mounting/balancling fee.

I figure the Primacy will be about $100 less, over the life of the tires. I also think the Primacy will handle at least as good, and probally better, than the Energy tire.

A visit to the Michelin web site reveals that the Primacy has a tread life of 620 and the Energy tread life is 440. Both tires cary an "A" for traction and temperature. To me this indicates the Primacy will have a 40% longer tread life. I assume this to be about 80,000 - 90,000 miles AT LEAST (since I have 75,000 miles on the Energys that are on the car now and they are almost to the wear bars). A also am assuming that the Energys will save at most 2% in fuel, due to slightly lower rolling resistance. If I calculate the numbers, I get a savings of about $100 going with the Primacys. I used $3.10 per gallon for diesel fuel and get about 32 gallons of fuel saved over the life of the tires, if Energys are bought. That's not a whole lot. Compare this to the cost savings of the longer life Primacys and you get about $500 tire cost (40% more life) = $200 - fuel savings of 32 gal. X $3.10/gallon = $101

Any thoughts? Which tire would you buy?

Tx.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; October 18th, 2007 at 06:38.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 18:17   #2
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

__. Hi, Nate. I just bought a set of Energie's. I tried to get tricky and go to the 20/65/15's, thinking that the slightly larger rolling radius (~2.5%) would help fuel economy. The ride and steering response is *wonderful* but the fuel econ hasn't been good. They're about .6" wider than the 195's and I think that this increased the friction.

__. I was driving MzLauraLee's waggin this past weekend (she has stock OEM Michelin's). Pulling up to a stopsign, I was wondering if the clutch has stuck or something ... man, that car just kept moving until I hit the brake. *Much* more coast than my car.

__. I got ~87K miles out of the OEM Engerie's on my first TDI (and they weren't all the way worn out). I really like them. But I sure wish that I'd put the 195's on my car.
Old October 18th, 2007, 18:53   #3
Rod Bearing
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Several

I just put a set of KUMHO 716 Solus P205/55R-16 89H BSW tires on my 06 TDI Jetta and love them. Discount Tire has em @98.00 ea. Very quiet solid feel tire.

The Bridgestone Turanza EL400's were ok till they wore down. They got noisy as all heck, but went 35,000 miles no problem.
Rod Bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 20:42   #4
MEIN_VW

Fuel Economy: 4.9 L/100 KM combined

I replaced the Energy MXV4's on the Passat with MXV4 S8's and I'm not really happy with them. They're noisy, they squeal even when cornering lightly and they have poor grip in the rain.
Old October 18th, 2007, 21:25   #5
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta
First off Costco is offering $60 off a set of Michelin tires WITHOUT their coupon, until early November. Its right on their home page. This may be a good time to get a membership (its free) if you want Michelins and if Costco is in your locale:

http://www.costco.com/HOME.aspx

I plan to take advantage of this, since I need new tires.

I plan on getting either the Primacy MXV4 or the Energy MXV4 S8. I am leaning towards the Primacy. Both are within a dollar, pricewise. $119 vs. $120 each, plus $10 mounting/balancling fee.

I figure the Primacy will be about $100 less, over the life of the tires. I also think the Primacy will handle at least as good, and probally better, than the Energy tire.

A visit to the Michelin web site reveals that the Primacy has a tread life of 620 and the Energy tread life is 440. Both tires cary an "A" for traction and temperature. To me this indicates the Primacy will have a 40% longer tread life. I assume this to be about 80,000 - 90,000 miles AT LEAST (since I have 75,000 miles on the Energys that are on the car now and they are almost to the wear bars). A also am assuming that the Energys will save at most 2% in fuel, due to slightly lower rolling resistance. If I calculate the numbers, I get a savings of about $100 going with the Primacys. I used $3.10 per gallon for diesel fuel and get about 32 gallons of fuel saved over the life of the tires, if Energys are bought. That's not a whole lot. Compare this to the cost savings of the longer life Primacys and you get about $500 tire cost (40% more life) = $200 - fuel savings of 32 gal. X $3.10/gallon = $101

Any thoughts? Which tire would you buy?

Tx.

--Nate
I'd be inclined to try the Primacy MXV4. While I think the original oem Michelin is very long lasting, the Primacy is the lastest offering and has a miles warranty where the oem's did not and still do not. Since you got 75,000 on your oem Energies with probably tread and miles left, I am inclined to believe you will probably do as well or better with the Primacy's.

As another data point, I got the oem GY LS-H's and was disappointed. But at 100,000 miles it looks good for the next tire rotation for a min of 110,000 miles. I will apply the tire tread measuring tool at that time. You do not say what psi you run, but I run 38F/36R max sidewall pressure of 44 psi. The car is on its first alignment. The range mpg on a plain jane commute is between 48-52 mpg. The range has been from a 44-62 mpg.

Last edited by ruking; March 28th, 2008 at 07:48.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 14:53   #6
technocrat

Fuel Economy: 45/42/39

www discounttiredirect com
Buy any 4 wheels or tires and get $100 off.
Only until 10/20/07
Michelin Primacy MXV4 /65R-15 91H RRBL $116.00.
(4)Valve Stems$3.00 = $12.00
$100 Online Discount.
FREE UPS Ground Shipping $0.00
Total Price Shipped = $376.00

Just find a local shop to mount and balance them. Check TireRack for preferred installers.
technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 15:24   #7
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Yes, I have ordered two sets from discounttire in the past and there wer no problems.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 18:19   #8
Sooch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44-45

And for $308 total out the door, at discount tire, you could have the Pilot Exalto A/S. I am very picky when it comes to tires, and I love these. The only tire that I liked even close to as much were the old Yokohama A509's.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #2
John Deere Telematics
05 Golf TDI - Modified
03 Passat 1.8T - Stock (Her's)...Yawn
Sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 18:06   #9
eyeguy
Veteran Member

Guys, I have the Primacy's in 225/45/17 and I really like them. I had some Dunlop's with a UTQG of like 220. They roared at anything above 20 mph and the faster I went, the higher the pitch. They lasted no time at all too! These Primacy's are night and day in comparison! My mpg's went up around 2-3 to around 44-45 at 73-75 mph. They are very quiet, handle pretty good, and look to be wearing very well although I haven't really racked up the mileage on them yet. My wet driving experience has been pretty good too. No heavy rains, but they did seem to do good in standing water. Anyway, great tires and though expensive, they are worth the price. Don't hesitate.
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:01   #10
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

THE BEST TIRES FOR YOUR CAR, ARE THE Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S !
These Tires are by far the best tires you can buy, they cost pennies more than the MXV4's but better overall charcteristics, compared to the competitiors. I have these on my Car, and they feel GREAT ! Take a look at these links for more info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...speed_rating=H

These best tires for the Jetta in the market !

Last edited by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI; October 21st, 2007 at 01:03.
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:38   #11
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

you mean there are ather tire manufacture's other than Nokian?

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 13:52   #12
technocrat

Fuel Economy: 45/42/39

I would definately consider the Pilot Exalto A/S as a top contender but the topic question was specific to two tires, A or B.

My experience with the MXV4-plus has been good. I got 40,000 miles on the original tires and they are down to 3/32". The wear has been extremely even, the ride is comfortable, no noise to speak of, and they served me well for the three seasons of eastern PA. The only complaint I have is that they sometimes slip on wet and snowy roads, especially during first gear acceleration (Stage II RC). Otherwise, I have never had a flat and never got stuck.

After giving it lots of thought, I'm following my own recommendation and ordering the Primacy MXV4's. I like the deeper tred depth of the new tire and feel that it will be at least as good as the previous versions. Time will tell.
technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 15:19   #13
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

First gear slip in the rain/snow isn't the tire's fault. Look under the hood
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:25   #14
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Pilot Exalto A/S are above the MXV4's, and the S8 and cost a couple dollars more. Offers all the characteristics of the MXV4 but more traction, more sportiness. I had MXV4's on my Jetta before and when I got these HUGE DIFFERENCE, the car cornors better, handles like its on rails, totally brings out the Jetta. The MXV4 is a old tire, the Exalto is fairly newer and far superior. Do yourself PDJetta, forget the Primacy MXV4 and the Energy MXV4 S8, and get the exalto's. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT !
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:20   #15
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Pilot Exalto A/S (snip) more traction, more sportiness. , the car cornors better, handles like its on rails, totally brings out the Jetta.
__. Yeah but what about fuel economy?