www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old October 9th, 2007, 09:52   #1
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

Default Is a transmission service and flush recommened for V.W. Jetta?

Hey, guys
lately, my transmission has been acting weird, its shifting weird mostly after 60km where it would rev high then sudenly drop down while i am acclerating while I am driving going past 60km/h to almost 89km/h. Plus When I am going uphill the car starts reving slightly by itself (sometimes), lets from 1500rpm to 1800-2000rpm. So, What I am thinking about is getting a transmission service/flush at Active Green + Ross done, they say they use the same specfication as volkswagen recommends, is it a good idea to get it done? Also I am going to a get a oil change and filter done there too with oil 5w40 full synthetic. The car is a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with Automatic Transmission with 185,000km.

Last edited by VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI; October 9th, 2007 at 10:04.
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:25   #2
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I am not all excited about the "Flush" idea on any car. Far too often it is used as a wallet flush when there is no need for anything.

That said, I would go for a fluid and filter change. This should get anything now in the filter cleaned out and bring the overall quality of the fluid up. If that works, I might even consider a flush, if I really trusted the guys selling it. That should bring the fluid to like new standards.

In any case you want to make sure you are getting the fluid specified by VW. Also remember that you are now having problems. Fluids are not always the cause of transmission problems and new fluid can not fix mechanical issues. Often fluid is changed or flushed and the transmission fails shortly after. This is NOT the result of the transmission service, but rather it is the fact that the transmission was already good as dead and the transfusion could not change that.
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:28   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Please read:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189029

In particular the part about the 01M transmission, which is what your car is equipped with.
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:43   #4
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI
Veteran Member

I don't to look at that OilHammer to scared ! I love this car to death, but now I am kicking myself for not buying a BMW. I will get the the fluid change done and hope all is well. I hope I don't have a transmission problem, one time my dad had a few problems with our spare car Subaru Loyal, we took it in for a check up from a transmission expert and the they found out no tranny fluid and after that the car ran good. I just hope worst comes to wrost I have the same problem.
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote