www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 9th, 2007, 04:57   #1
Jesse_Boyer
Veteran Member

Default fuel door won't pop open...

The trunk button works, but nothing happens when I hit the fuel door release. This is pretty much the last item I have to fix before this is 100%, but I'm not even sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started?

Last edited by Jesse_Boyer; October 9th, 2007 at 05:01.
Jesse_Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:09   #2
Phoenix42
Veteran Member

Do you hear a noise when you operate the button?
On mine the spring that pushes out the door was busted, adn I'd hear the selonid operate but the door would not pop open.
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:49   #3
Jesse_Boyer
Veteran Member

nope, no noise. i can hear the trunk pop, but nothing with the fuel door. Unless it's 'that' quiet compared to the trunk. Regardless, I don't hear anything
Jesse_Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 23:39   #4
dknytech

I am having this exact same issue. I can hear a noise when I pull on the trunk release switch but nothing when I try to open the fuel door. Is it the fuel door switch? If so, do I have to take the whole door apart to get at it? Does any one have the part #? Thanks in advance.
dknytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:45   #5
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Default Fuel door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer
The trunk button works, but nothing happens when I hit the fuel door release. This is pretty much the last item I have to fix before this is 100%, but I'm not even sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started?
There is a TB on this. Do a search- it has been covered in the past.Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletins
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums

Last edited by 2004STARWARSTDI; January 16th, 2009 at 02:53.
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:14   #6
dknytech

I fail to see anything regarding my issue listed here.Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletins. After searching for some time I managed to find that the door does have to been taken apart, but I still cannot find a part # for the OEM replacement fuel door switch.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:36   #7
puter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg

Ahh, search **** strikes again!
puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:48   #8
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknytech
I fail to see anything regarding my issue listed here.Volkswagen Technical Service Bulletins. After searching for some time I managed to find that the door does have to been taken apart, but I still cannot find a part # for the OEM replacement fuel door switch.
__. DK, it may not be the switch in the driver's door (in fact, I'm pretty sure that it usually is not). The system has the driver's door switch, wiring, and the operating mechanism at the fuel filler. You could have a disconnected connector at the driver's door button or at the operating mechanism. And, as noted, the filler flap won't open if the spring doesn't work properly -- in that case, the mechanism will retract just fine but then it relocks when you release the button and the filler flap stays closed.

__. The only way to handle this is to get some help. Put your ear to the filler flap and have your helper pull the button on the driver's door. If the mechanism is working, you will hear it. If you hear it working, then the problem is the spring -- you deal with that by getting something soft and smooth (a rubber or soft plastic strip, for instance, so you don't scratch the paint) and lever the flap open while your helper pulls the switch; that will work fine.

__. I've never actually dealt with this situation before, but listening to people talk on this forum, it appears that here's the order of priority:

1) Bad spring
2) Bad mechanism at filler flap
3) Loose connector at switch in driver's door
4) Bad switch in driver's door

__. Perhaps someone who's done it recently will comment on whether there's a combined connector at the switch for the trunk latch and the filler. If so, then the fact that the trunk latch works means the connector is in place -- but you need to confirm that there is a combined connector.

__. Since this is a "non TDI specific" problem, I'd do a search at VWVortex, too. There's often good info there.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:55   #9
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Default TSB for fuel door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknytech
Look here, it is in 2006 section:2006 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TSB 0501 Details
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 22:38   #10
dknytech

Update:
Took the door apart today to clean and check the harness connections. No luck. Went to the dealership and purchased new switch $41, ouch. FYI Part # 1J0 959 833 A. Installed new switch and tested about 20 times, works great. I was about to throw the old switch away when I decided to take it apart. Very easy to do just be careful. Upon inspecting the inside of the switch the contact points that touch when the switch is pulled seemed to be dirty, cleaned them with contact cleaner and wiped with a Q-tip, looks like new again. Seeing as it only takes 5 minutes to remove door panel I decided to install the newly cleaned switch and wouldn't you know it, it works. Wish I would have thought of trying this first. I ended up installing the new switch that I bought today because I cannot return it, but I will keep the old just in case. So I recommend to anyone having this same problem to try this first, it might save a guy a few bucks.
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:24   #11
MCathcart
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Exclamation

Yep you are Correct... Most all VW switches are Repairable. After owning 8 VW's since 1998 I repair window switches when the Pivot breaks off. I've said before I'd do a HOW TO on them but just never took time.
MCathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:17   #12
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Anyone know of a way to get a new spring for the fuel door? I actually lost mine when doing the vent mod. Now I have to stick a credit card in the fuel door then go and pull the switch. My door is starting to get chingered up from the card sliding in and out.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:34   #13
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004STARWARSTDI
Look here, it is in 2006 section:2006 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TSB 0501 Details
The original poster has a 2001, so why would you direct him to a TSB for a 2006?

Also, this is the only information I found there:

Quote:
Fuel tank lid does not close, unlock motor -v155 - does not return properly. *tt
Not real helpful in fixing the problem. Maybe I'm missing a step in finding what this TSB has to say?
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote