PD TDi injector settings

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
TheoSweden said:
This is a pretty good picture of my PD head. There is no problems at all putting everything togeather.

Theo
Ummm, where is it? :D EDIT: I found these two pics from my first splitting. But I don't think they help me here

Last edited:

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
You have to use a dial indicator and rotate the camshaft so that the injector arm has pushed the plunger to its lowest point. Once it is a the lowest point you need to loosen the lock nut on the arm and screw in the adjustment screw until it stops. At that point just turn it back 225 degrees or whatever the spec is for your engine and tighten the lock nut. The screw is at the end of the injector arm directly above the injector. They are the ones with a hex slot in the top and a jam nut that locks them down.

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Make sure you get new injector hold down bolts and rocker shaft bolts. Here is an injector hold down bolt that was reused once.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Useful info, thanks. :) I will check the state of the hold-down bolts when refitting the new head. No-one else has mentioned needing new ones on here, so assume it's a little like "VW say you should" but in reality you can get away with it. I have some spare ones from a very low mileage TDI engine that was flooded, in case my 60k ones are more worn out.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Matthew_S said:
Make sure you get new injector hold down bolts and rocker shaft bolts. Here is an injector hold down bolt that was reused once.

Good picture of a stretched bolt.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
devonutopia said:
Useful info, thanks. :) I will check the state of the hold-down bolts when refitting the new head. No-one else has mentioned needing new ones on here, so assume it's a little like "VW say you should" but in reality you can get away with it. I have some spare ones from a very low mileage TDI engine that was flooded, in case my 60k ones are more worn out.
The bolt condition has nothing to do with how much mileage is on the head. Its the initial tightening that permanently stretches and weakens the bolt, making it unfit for another removal and reinstallation of the same bolt. If it does not break on installation again, it will stretch further, preventing proper clamping of whatever its holding. Then, the part(s) could come loose. Same goes for the engine mount bolts and several other one-time use fasteners.

The Bentley manual states to use new injector and rocker bolts.

--Nate

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
MatthewS is correct. The dial guage and it's support is only used to determine the lowest point of rocker at adjustment screw end and then the back-off is 180 degrees (1/2 turn) for the BRM. This is right out of the Bentley paper manual. Could be different for BEW and/or other Euro spec. engines. I also read somewhere here that by halving the back-off, you will get better throttle response. I have not tried this as of yet so, I really don't know. Later!

Last edited:

oldfudger

TDI
passat
I have removed injectors (passat tdi pd engine) and want to replace,
have put injectors back in and want to set rockers/adjustment screws,

what you are all talking about makes a little sence but how far do you wind screw down before backing off (when rocker roller on highest point of cam)
having backed screws right off
when i bolted rocker arm (x2) back on i had to wind engine so rollers were not on highest point cam as the arm wouldnt quite sit flat (in curved location) to be bolted down as it seemed bottom of arms were catching to of injector springs/washer

should this be the case

could someone please give me a idiot guide of how to put back in and set up please?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
oldfudger said:
I have removed injectors (passat tdi pd engine) and want to replace,
have put injectors back in and want to set rockers/adjustment screws,

what you are all talking about makes a little sence but how far do you wind screw down before backing off (when rocker roller on highest point of cam)
having backed screws right off
when i bolted rocker arm (x2) back on i had to wind engine so rollers were not on highest point cam as the arm wouldnt quite sit flat (in curved location) to be bolted down as it seemed bottom of arms were catching to of injector springs/washer

should this be the case

could someone please give me a idiot guide of how to put back in and set up please?
Do you want to be emailed the same manual I've just emailed someone else? :D PM me an address if so.

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
devonutopia said:
F***in' hell, I am Mr charitable today aren't I!? I paid good money for those manuals you know! ;)
Ha Ha, Cheers mate, much appreciated!

I've just remember that the wife bought me a Bently manual last christmas, its probably in there! Doh!

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
The Derv Doctor said:
We do alot of work on Volvo trucks as well and they have a similar type of unit injector to the PD. The adjustment of the injectors does affect the power and MPG quite alot. We recomend that Volvo trucks have a top end set up at least every 2 years, which is about every 200,000 km's ;)
this makes me wonder, would it be beneficial to check the adjustment on PD's every so often?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Copies sent to FOUR more people today! :D

Donations of alcohol can be sent to "Jason, Devon, UK" in the post. It'll get to me! :D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Might have to start charging 50p a copy for my "2260vk" fund soon. :D

One's gone in South Wales' direction.