who ARE these guys?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Does anyone know anything about these guys? www.vagproduct.com They're a Chinesium company. They claim to be selling a factory key AND remote with uncut keyblade for $40. Their p/n matches the worldimpex p/n except for thelast letter (Impex p/n is for remote only.)

Sounds to good to be true. Has anyone purchased from them?

Also, they sell a 2x2 adapter cable for $12; I wonder if it would work properly with my real-deal, non-pirated Vag-Com key-usb cable. I know better than to try their knock-off can-usb cable. (Mind you, I have no real need for said adapter in the first place, just curious.)

I'm mostly interested in the key; what do you guys think?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
You are asking if it's a good idea to buy stuff from people who you know are pirates? Good luck with that.

dysdera

TDI
No TDI, only a 1.8 20V B5
I purchased vagtacho from this company and although it took a week or two to get here (UK) it did arrive and worked a treat, and I would have no hesitation in using them again.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I did not mean to imply that I was ging to buy a "pirate" cable or that others should. I guess I was just coparing prices and products.

I'm mostly interested in the key.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
meetis said:
of course its cheap to sell a product you did not desighn or spend money researching.
I really should have seen this coming. All I asked was had anyone done any business with these guys, specifically, bought and used their keys.

The fact that some contrator/vendor of Volkswagen's is selling VW products $220 less (approximation) than the local dealership doesn't really send me into a moral dillema. I thought you guys all hated the dealerships; why would you care if I got over on VW; how many times have they gotten over on us?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Those keys aren't pirated or anything. They're OE keys....just OE VW China. From what I understand, the VW's and their parts for the Chinese market are made in China under license. That said, I don't think that key will work on a US car....at least not without the matching module.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
vwmikel said:
Those keys aren't pirated or anything. They're OE keys....just OE VW China. From what I understand, the VW's and their parts for the Chinese market are made in China under license. That said, I don't think that key will work on a US car....at least not without the matching module.
Thanks for that. I didn't really consider a possible difference between the controllers in the two cars (chinese and us). I had double checked only the part number and the transmit frequency, which both match the US numbers.

I guess the only way to really know is to buy one and try it. Can anyone concieve of a scenario in which the chinesium key, transmitting to my module would harm or alter my module?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I've asked around a bit and heard maybe they will work. If it doesn't work then it just won't work. I can't see how this would cause you any problems other than a slightly thinner wallet.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Remotes in the US must operate on specific frequencies, and those frequencies differ from country to country. Since these are chinese parts they may not even work. (I don't know the frequencies for chinese transmitters and such). I know the convinence modules in these euro cars I brought over have different part numbers than US convinience modules and don't have the FCC logo on them. But for the cost savings I'd say do it and see, and if they do work let us know!

You won't damage a module by using the wrong transmitter.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Scott_DeWitt said:
You won't damage a module by using the wrong transmitter.
I kind of don't think they would either; I'm sure there is not enough transmit power. According to the website, they transmit on 315mhz, which is the same frequency that worldimpex lists for it's transmitter only. (which is $66.00 and I just bought one and programmed with vag-com DOH!)

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
All of his may be a moot point. I've just returned from the stealership parts department. While there picking up a special order part (which took two whole weeks) I asked if hey would cut a key blank that they didn't sell. Wow, what a b--ching out I got. Must have touched a sore spot or something.

So I called some locksmiths who said they MAY be able to duplicate the key from one of my originals. They wanted to see my original before they committed to saying yes.

In the mean time, I've sent off an email to those guys asking some very specific questions about the key and the lack of a stated return policy on their page.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Wow, did they refuse to cut it or just *****ed at you about sugesting such a thing?

They should happly cut it, they still get paid, if it doesn't work you are just out of money unless it will not even operate the door lock.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
"I asked if hey would cut a key blank that they didn't sell. Wow, what a b--ching out I got. Must have touched a sore spot or something." That right there tells me that the person U ask was getting payed (Flat rate or parts commission) State that they would be the ones programing the Key ( more .hrs ) the reaction would have been more positive. Makes U less of a cheap A$$ :p

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JoeBleed said:
Wow, did they refuse to cut it or just *****ed at you about sugesting such a thing?

They should happly cut it, they still get paid, if it doesn't work you are just out of money unless it will not even operate the door lock.
They flat refused to cut it.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
brothersnag said:
"I asked if hey would cut a key blank that they didn't sell. Wow, what a b--ching out I got. Must have touched a sore spot or something." That right there tells me that the person U ask was getting payed (Flat rate or parts commission) State that they would be the ones programing the Key ( more .hrs ) the reaction would have been more positive. Makes U less of a cheap A$$ :p
Well, why would I pay them to program the key for $70.00 when I have a brand new Vag-Com? Besides, if you allow the dealer to plug into your car for the key programming, the first thing they are going to do is change my SKC, which will then prevent me from using Vag-Com on my car, making me even more dependent on them.

And yeah, I'm a cheap a$$. When the dealer is marking up the cost of a new key almost 800% ($40.00 vs almost $300.00) and THEN charging me another $70.00 to program it...you bet my cheap a$$ I'm going to find a way to get over on them-legal or otherwise.

To me, it's the same as the music industry. You can buy a legal music CD in India or Japan for like $3.00 USD. But that same CD in the Unites States is $13.00. It's obvious that they are overcharging us just because they can. Yet somehow or another, the lttle gu who downloads free music is the thief, not big business.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
FL2AK-tdi said:
Well, why would I pay them to program the key for $70.00 when I have a brand new Vag-Com? Besides, if you allow the dealer to plug into your car for the key programming, the first thing they are going to do is change my SKC, which will then prevent me from using Vag-Com on my car, making me even more dependent on them.
That makes no sense. Your SKC doesn't change because the dealer hooks up their scan tool. The only way your SKC would change is if they replaced your Instrument Cluster.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
To my knowlage the SKC doesn't change. not the 4/5 digate one you receve from a chip tuner and/or maybe that vag-taco program.

The 7-digat skc seems like an ever changing key, but i think it is only a algarithum based on some info in the cluster/ecu date, time, dearl code. I think. Though i have seen a thread on here titled, "can my skc change", but i haven't read it. Think i will look at it now that you mention a changing skc.

On the key cutting, is there another dealer in reasonable distance to call and ask them about cutting?

Edit: Ah, i see you ahve read and posted to the thread about a changing skc, so i will not bother posting a link to it.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JoeBleed said:
To my knowlage the SKC doesn't change. not the 4/5 digate one you receve from a chip tuner and/or maybe that vag-taco program.

The 7-digat skc seems like an ever changing key, but i think it is only a algarithum based on some info in the cluster/ecu date, time, dearl code. I think. Though i have seen a thread on here titled, "can my skc change", but i haven't read it. Think i will look at it now that you mention a changing skc.

On the key cutting, is there another dealer in reasonable distance to call and ask them about cutting?

Edit: Ah, i see you ahve read and posted to the thread about a changing skc, so i will not bother posting a link to it.
There is only one vw dealer in all of alaska. Natural serenity has its price. Later, I'll re-read the skc thread. I got the impression thatit changed both codes but I could have misinterpreted it.

I have found a locksmith who can duplicate my key cuts, as long as I have an original key. I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent to the company.

penclnck

FL2AK-tdi said:
the first thing they are going to do is change my SKC, which will then prevent me from using Vag-Com on my car, making me even more dependent on them.

And yeah, I'm a cheap a$$.
Wow. OK, SKC numbers change daily since they are a generated number based on country (importer code), dealer number and the current date it was issued. So an SKC number that was given out on a Friday would be different from a SKC number given out on a Thursday (or different SKC number from a different dealer on the same day). This is the result of GeKo, which has a funny username/password system that never changes... but the website that has torque spec for the oil filter, holly crap, time to change my password again (but this is another rant for another post)

But it really doesn't matter because dealers no longer see the SKC number, haven't for a few years... so even if you were all buddy-buddy with your dealer, they couldn't give you the SKC number if they really wanted to.

The PIN number for your Immobilizer says the same day in and day out.

And why oh why do the biggest "cheap A$$"es seem to drive TDIs? I never have understood this. I would guess the 2.0L crowd would be the "cheap A$$"es, but it seems like TDI'rs will do anything to save a buck. Of course the results can be funny at times (me airbags done blow'd up).

Lastly, the reason most dealers won't cut "ebay keys" (any key not purchased over the parts counter) is these keys have a known habbit of ruining the bits in the sidewinder key cutter. At my dealer, we were cutting aftermarket keys but when we figured out that a brand new bit in the Sidewinder was ruined by an aftermarket key (person who cut the key knows what he was doing), we stopped since these bits are not cheap. Ask how much a single 3mm bit cost... maybe if you purchase one then they will cut your cheap key.

For what it is worth, here is the tool used to cut keys:

http://www.framon.com/auto/sd1a.html

For only $2849.00 plus the correct vise and bit, you can cut all the china keys you want.

Later tater.

Last edited by a moderator:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Hmmm. It's not really saving a buck; it's saving about $260 bucks. That almost a car payment.

Why am I cheap a$$?

Probably has something to do with the thousands of dollars in maintenance costs that I've laid out for this car over the last two years.

Combined with my paltry salary. Combined with an ever increasing cost of living etc. You know, wah wah cry cry that kind of stuff.

It might have something to do with being tired of seeing corporate america get richer while I, and people around me get poorer and poorer.

If an american dealer sold a key blank for under a hundred bucks, then that would be another story.

Oh PS: I'm not looking at ebay keys. I'm looking at a website company. They're selling genuine VW parts with genuine VW part numbers. Or at least they "claim" to be.

Which was really the whole point of this thread: to inquire of others' experience with a company. Not to justify my financial habits.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
FL2AK-tdi said:
Hmmm. It's not really saving a buck; it's saving about $260 bucks. That almost a car payment.

Why am I cheap a$$?

Probably has something to do with the thousands of dollars in maintenance costs that I've laid out for this car over the last two years.

Combined with my paltry salary. Combined with an ever increasing cost of living etc. You know, wah wah cry cry that kind of stuff.

It might have something to do with being tired of seeing corporate america get richer while I, and people around me get poorer and poorer.
you really are a baby. and still 100% clueless

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
burpod said:
you really are a baby. and still 100% clueless
whatever

Clueless or not, don't any of you who are criticizing me for trying to avoid the delaership, find a little hypocrysis in yourselves? This group is riddles with remarks by almost everyone to never go to a "stealer"ship.

But when I try to avoid going to a stealership, you all cricize me and call me a cheap a$$. I don't understand any of you.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
There is only one vw dealer in all of alaska. Natural serenity has its price. Later, I'll re-read the skc thread. I got the impression thatit changed both codes but I could have misinterpreted it.
Oh yea, i keep forgetting that. :eek:

I don't blame you for trying to save money. I agree with you about the price they chage for keys and to cut them. Hell, i wouldn't mind so much paying 50-60 bucks for the parts/cutting and may 20 to 30 to program keys. Assuming they don't charge 20-30 bucks for each key.

But they don't, they want to charge 90+ to program they keys. Most do anyway. Think i have read on here some dealers aren't that expensive on programing keys. I can only imagen that being the only game in town, they wan't price priemums for everything they have at that dealership.

Good luck on thos keys. I looked on their page, and they have keys they clame to be for us and canadian cars. If you get two, try and post comparison pictures of one taken apart. :)

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JoeBleed said:
Oh yea, i keep forgetting that. :eek:

I don't blame you for trying to save money. I agree with you about the price they chage for keys and to cut them. Hell, i wouldn't mind so much paying 50-60 bucks for the parts/cutting and may 20 to 30 to program keys. Assuming they don't charge 20-30 bucks for each key.

But they don't, they want to charge 90+ to program they keys. Most do anyway. Think i have read on here some dealers aren't that expensive on programing keys. I can only imagen that being the only game in town, they wan't price priemums for everything they have at that dealership.

Good luck on thos keys. I looked on their page, and they have keys they clame to be for us and canadian cars. If you get two, try and post comparison pictures of one taken apart. :)
Will do. I've sent three emals to them with no reply thus far. Doesn't bode well. In reality, it almost doesn't matter. With them being in a foreign country, it's not like I could press them on any kind of warrnaty etc. I intend to wait at least a day or two more before I buy. I kind of see this as a $40 roll of the dice.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
OK, so first off, I wasn't getting a reply to my emails because my spam blocker was deleting them as soon as they came in. I had to add their address to my adress my book.

Below is a copy and paste of their email confirming my questions. With that, I rolled the dice on my $40 just to see what happens. Their webpage says 10-14 day deleivery. When it gets here, I'll dissect it and report back.

In regards to your 3-button remote keys with a new blade that you sell for $40.00USD:

1.) Will these work on a US Specification cars? (for example: made in Mexico with 3VW in the V.I.N.) There is some discussion that the Chinese market vehicles have totally different imobilizers and/or instrument clusters and your keys may not work with a U.S. market car.

2.) Do these keys come with the programming chip installed in them? There have been reports of foreign internet companies selling VW keys for cheap with no chips which makes them unusable. I don't wish to assume that this is the case but there is an old saying over here "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

3.)In regards to your VAG-Tacho eeprom programmer, which you list for $50.00: is the downloadable file from your downloads page all that is required to use the listed functions? Will the software work with your VAG-COM USB KKL cable? Also, is the software, when downloaded from your site, fully licensed?

4.) What is your warranty and your return policy? I found no statements of warranty nor did I find a return policy printed anywhere on your web page. Am I to assume that then that all sales are final?

hello sir

1. it will work for canada china usa mexico cars. they all use 343mhz frequent
2. the keyblades has the immo pin. if you have the ecu immo code you can programm it
3.the vagtacho is old version but full liensense. it will not work for the vagcom software
4.we support paypal so do not worry about the warranty. you can order from the website directly

thx for your inqury

best regards
vagproduct.com

In regards to number 4: are you stating that you will warrant your products and accept a return and refund purchase price if we are unsatisfied?

YES but you must send the goods back to china and pay the shipment from china to usa. it is about 10 usd.
best regards

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a worth while chance on the key.

On the Vag-tacho program, there is a newer version that someone linked to by the creators. Sounded like it was more reliable. I forget what theread it was listed in.

Edit: Here is the link what is supose to be the official creator/seller http://maltchev.com/kiti/

290 euros. Pricy. Getting into that price range i might would consider the VAGdashCom program for a couple hundered more. But i don't know. I have never seen the tacho program in person.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
JoeBleed said:
Sounds like a worth while chance on the key.

On the Vag-tacho program, there is a newer version that someone linked to by the creators. Sounded like it was more reliable. I forget what theread it was listed in.

Edit: Here is the link what is supose to be the official creator/seller http://maltchev.com/kiti/

290 euros. Pricy. Getting into that price range i might would consider the VAGdashCom program for a couple hundered more. But i don't know. I have never seen the tacho program in person.
290 Euros. Not no but h3LL no. Argh! We'll plunder the village first! Hand over ur booty ye scalawags!

290 Euros equals $411 USD. For a program that does like one thing only? And yet somehow I'm the thief?

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, i know, that is why i added i would start looking at VAGdashCom first. :)

Edit: On the other hand, seeing as you live in AK and there is only one a## of a dealer, if this key works, you might could make up the money for the legit reader soon. :)

Last edited: