Pela 650 vs. MityVac 7400?

Top Side Oil Sucker ;)

• Total voters

john-e-deer

TDI
Pela vs. MityVac?

Bang for the buck.. which one should I consider going with? ..& why?

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I've seen the Pela in action and used one. It often takes 3 hands to use - one to pump, one to hold the pump onto the reservior and one to move the oil suction tube around.

I have a Mityvac 7400 and it works great for extracting the oil out of the oil pan thru the dipstick tube and from the oil heat exchanger housing and only necessitates 2 hands and one foot at most. It also seems to build more vacuum with fewer strokes, so you don't have to pump as often, but I have not done a side-by-side comparison.

scurvy

john-e-deer

TDI
..pela pump?

scurvy said:
I've seen the Pela in action and used one. It often takes 3 hands to use - one to pump, one to hold the pump onto the reservior and one to move the oil suction tube around..
..was this the little ball 6000 or the stand up cyclinder 650?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have the little ball 6000 and have the three handed problem when using it. I saw a stand up cyclinder 650 used on my car and didn't seem to experience this problem. Mine was free so I deal with it.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
john-e-deer said:
..was this the little ball 6000 or the stand up cyclinder 650?
The little ball Pela 6000. I have not used the stand-up cylinder 650, although it looks to be nearly the same as the Mityvac 7400 but with a smaller capacity. I got my Mityvac 7400 at a local Farm & Fleet (or was it Fleet Farm...) for about $45 on sale.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I had a little ball Pela but I forgot and left it in the apartment parking lot and now somebody else has it. But yes it was a three handed affair. So now I have the stand up Pela 650 and I love it. I also made a tube holder out of a piece of 1'' PVC so I wipe off the intake tube and put it in the holder and back into my apartment it goes with no oil anywhere but inside the tube holder.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I never had a Pela, but the MityVac I had was kind of clumsly. I think it was called the 7200 back then. The rigid hoses had a tendency to pop out of the top of the pump and did not seem to reach the deepest, rear most part of the sump. When I went to use it for the 2nd time, it would not hold a vacuum, which I was able to correct. After I gave it away, I bought a very expensive Surflow 12V pump from Western Marine, but that did not work. Long story short, I have installed a Fumoto valve, and will just drain the oil from underneath into a milk carton. I hope you have better luck with yours.
CC, nice idea with the PVC holder. Storing these oily tools without a garage was another problem.

Last edited:

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Moeller 33330

I have a MOELLER 33330 from West Marine that's essentially the same as the MityVac unit. Does a good job. But I've found that it's best to disassemble it every so often and clean out the 'gook' to avoid any suction problems.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
visionlogic said:
...I've found that it's best to disassemble it every so often and clean out the 'gook' to avoid any suction problems.
I give mine a shot of brake cleaner once in a while through the suction hole with the rubber stopper/evacuation tube removed. Seems to work just fine and no disassembly necessary.

damnyankee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
visionlogic said:
I have a MOELLER 33330 from West Marine that's essentially the same as the MityVac unit. Does a good job. But I've found that it's best to disassemble it every so often and clean out the 'gook' to avoid any suction problems.
Ditto!

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Pela 6000 SUCKS. Mine collapsed after 3 uses. I was told by Pela that it was caused by the hot oil during extraction. Funny since the Pela and VW oil change instructions indicate that the engine should be warmed up to running temp. What a waste of money and BS customer service.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I know I'm resurecting a dead thread, but a more recent poll referred to this one.

I started out with the Pela 6000, and it died too soon, IMO. First the hose developed leaks (I emailed Pela about a new hose, but they couldn't be bothered to respond). Then the rubber deal the pump attaches to started to leak, too. Initial quality was fine, but within six or seven uses, it had problems. I just ordered a Mityvac 7201.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Dante said:
I know I'm resurecting a dead thread, but a more recent poll referred to this one.

I started out with the Pela 6000, and it died too soon, IMO. First the hose developed leaks (I emailed Pela about a new hose, but they couldn't be bothered to respond). Then the rubber deal the pump attaches to started to leak, too. Initial quality was fine, but within six or seven uses, it had problems. I just ordered a Mityvac 7201.
I have this one, works really well'
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1176____SearchResults

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
My Pela suction tube separated from the flexible plastic. I've emailed Pela 3 times over the past 3 months about a replacement and have yet to get a response. I'll try a different make in hopes of better support.

pearse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf BEW engine
I started with the pela but grew tired of all the two-handed pumping and trying to hold the hose in the right place with my other non-existant hand.

I broke down and got the HF unit that hooks up to an air compressor for suction power. It has larger diameter hoses so can suck more in less time. You can use both hands on getting the right suction hose position. It wasn't very expensive.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
In an earlier post I mentioned a 12v pump that did not work. Since then I have exchanged it and have the same SurFlo and so far have had no problems with it. It pumps fast and did not require any priming, plus it only takes two hands to operate. I have found more flexible hoses at the local Ace Hardware store, one is the clear vinyl (3/8 ID) connected to a poly hose that fits nicely into the dip stick tube.

Brasil

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon silver-Sold, now MINI Cooper S Clubman
I have one that is similar to the Mityvac but smaller, from Griots Garage.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...yword=oil+extractor&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

A bit pricey, but it works reasonable well, and I bought it long ago before these were easy to find. The tubes on mine are just a few inches too short, so I use a box or phone book to set it on.

I also made a tube holder out of PVC to store the stiff tubes. I still manage to get oil on something, so I have my "oil change" clothes, but far easier and cleaner than going under the car.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ok, haven't seen anyone mention this one-a Liqui-Vac one.I bought it today at Tractor Supply for $39.99+tax.Holds 8 quarts-looks simple enough,I'll see how it works this weekend.

TDI
2004 golf
I have one like ajas, I think it was a mityvac 7201 plus. Only 35 dollars from pep boys! It is frickin 70 dollars from amazon and sometimes more on ebay!

It is sometimes a bear to keep the oil tube in a location that sucks oil, but I think thats the VW baffles/design. But those ones you hook up to air compressors rock.