PD Glow Plug Fiasco

Schwrtz27

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Pd
Hello all. I also have a 04 PD and my 1,2, and 3 glow plugs are all shot. Anybody have an idea of where to buy them? Which are best?

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
On a related note, a friend come over yesterday with a CEL on his 2002 TDI beetle. One of the glow plugs was dead. I called a dealership in Indianapolis to find out the price of a glow plug. $52.95!!!! That is not for 4 plugs - just one plug. Needless to say I made an order online. Four plugs for $60.
Point: How can the dealers overcharge to this degree??

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
for the BEW engine in an '04 Jetta a quick check showed

world impex 32.00
1stvwparts 26.36
tdiparts 24.95
autohausaz 21.65

Bosch is the only brand.

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Schwrtz27 said:
Hello all. I also have a 04 PD and my 1,2, and 3 glow plugs are all shot. Anybody have an idea of where to buy them? Which are best?
Schwrtz27,

If those GP's really are shot and its not the GP harness that is kicking out the codes, please (If you don't mind....) post some photo's of the dead ceramic GP's and perhaps do a ohms test comparing the "Dead" GP's to a new one.

Thanks

Martin

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
im having some problems with my glow plugs too.
my check engine light came on at 10000 miles, bad glow plug, still under warranty they replaced it, it came on every week the next 4 weeks and every time a different glow plug went bad, but the dealership kept replacing them, then it stopped.
at 30000 i had the same issues, the dealership worked with the vw headquarter and they both were troubleshooting, not finding the problem but replacing glow plugs, after the third glow plug they replaced the harness, and it was good to do, till i hit 57000 miles and the cel is back on, same problem, no warranty they are trying to rip me off, but they found a lose wire and repaired it.
we talked to the general manager and we are getting out money back, problem still not fixed, thats where im at right now!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I would suspect the glow plug controler, if new plugs keep blowing. Also, is the controler the correct one for the glow plugs? Sometime in early 2005 there was an update for both and if somehow you are getting the newer PD plugs instead of the older PD plugs, that may be your problem. First verify the parts are correct (plugs and controller) then consider replacing the GP controller. If that's the problem, VW should pay for it, since they missed it while under warranty.

--Nate

ComradeXavier

TDI
2005 New Beetle
PDJetta said:
Someone here posted that not long after they bought their new PD, the engine went out with a loud noise. The ENTIRE engine was warrantied. It was concluded that one of the ceramic GPs broke off and trashed a cylinder! Could well have been a GP crack that occurred in the factory.
Something similar happened to me. At about 16k miles, I had a glow plug replaced under warranty. The replacement plug failed (whether due to a defect or mishandling, I don't know) before I even got the keys back. It did enough damage that they had to get me a new engine.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
ComradeXavier said:
Something similar happened to me. At about 16k miles, I had a glow plug replaced under warranty. The replacement plug failed (whether due to a defect or mishandling, I don't know) before I even got the keys back. It did enough damage that they had to get me a new engine.
Maybe it was you I was mentioning that had this problem. I hope everthing is working correctly now, with your car.

I consider myself pretty lucky. Although I complained vehemently that it took the dealer over a month to replace all 4 CORRECTLYafter one failed at 9,000 miles, I consider myself VERY lucky. None have broken, and if they have gone this far, I am probally OK. At the time, I had no idea these were ceramic and fragile. I even removed one that was replaced to get a good look at it and put it back in the head!

--Nate

ComradeXavier

TDI
2005 New Beetle
PDJetta said:
Maybe it was you I was mentioning that had this problem. I hope everthing is working correctly now, with your car.
Could be; I've posted a grand total of about three times, though, so I didn't want to assume. I'm 16k miles into the new engine now, and everything's working okay so far.