www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:58   #1
rs_us999

Fuel Economy: 38 - 40 normal suburban driving
Default Scary brake problem

I have an '02 Jetta auto with 75k miles that has just developed a brake problem. I'm very easy on this car and still have the original brake pads. I had a bad brake switch replaced under warranty a few months ago and at that time had the brake fluid changed and brakes bled. Brakes felt and worked fine.

Yesterday I was sitting at a light with my foot lightly on the brake when the pedal suddenly moved away from my foot towards the floor. It then popped back with a hissing sound. This happened a few more times during the day. The last time it happened I was slowing down to a stop light at about 20mph. The pedal pulled away from my foot towards the floor and almost locked the brakes for a split second before popping back with the hissing noise. If anyone was too close behind me I would have been rear ended.

Any thoughts on what this may be caused by? Booster problem? MC? Anyone have a similar experience?
rs_us999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:07   #2
chrisfiat
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

bad booster
1976 Fiat 124(you know the top goes down)
chrisfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 15:31   #3
neildeshpande

rs_us999:

I have the exact same symptoms on my 2002 TDI. I suspect either the booster or the master (obviously!). The only reason I kind of wonder about it being the master is that the pedal is mushy.

Any ideas from the group?

Neil Deshpande
neildeshpande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 20:36   #4
rs_us999

neil

yeah, my pedal feels a littly mushy too now. I spoke with the stealership today. The mechanic said it could be the master or the booster or both. I'm bringing it in on Wed. I think its going to be expensive. Anyone have any idea on the cost of a MC and/or booster change?
Old September 1st, 2007, 21:02   #5
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Listen carefully cause it will save you a bunch of money... your master is fine... these are classic symptoms of a bad brake booster. Replace the brake booster and everything will be fine, I know because this happened to me. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=104656 That was almost 200,000km ago and master is still going great!

"There is lots of work to be done, if we are to achieve the kind of society people have the right to expect." Tommy Douglas

Having trouble with limp mode... Troubleshooting Low Power

Having trouble searching? Read this thread on advance search in forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133579

Last edited by Canadian_Grizzly; September 1st, 2007 at 21:05.
Canadian_Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:02   #6
rs_us999

Thanks Grizz and Chris

How hard was the booster swap? Is it pretty involved? It looks like you have to remove the MC to get at it? I'm pretty handy, but I won't be doing anything as complicated as a TB change. Did you buy the parts from the dealer?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:29   #7
rs_us999

Sounds like another booster problem.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=188741
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:44   #8
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

Its a pain and you need a special tool to do it... this is in the How-To's http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87039 Hope it helps.

"There is lots of work to be done, if we are to achieve the kind of society people have the right to expect." Tommy Douglas

Having trouble searching? Read this thread on advance search in forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133579
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:52   #9
Yelram
Veteran Member

Dont change the booster until you try lubricating up under the brake pedal. Pull back the white plastic cover and spray some lithium grease in there. It will fix it right up.
Yelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:43   #10
rs_us999

Yelram
Thanks!!!!!!!
I did what you said and I have not had the problem in 2 days. I can't believe this is a permanent fix, though.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:46   #11
Yelram
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_us999
Yelram
Thanks!!!!!!!
I did what you said and I have not had the problem in 2 days. I can't believe this is a permanent fix, though.
It totally is, i've put like 7000 on since it happened on mine. I guess its called something like an "atmospheric switch" or something that gets jammed without lubrication. I took it to the dealership and they were ready to change the booster. I also had a problem with my instrument cluster not reading the PRD123 or the odometer. The dealership said new cluster. I said contact cleaner. Its worked fine ever since.
Yelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:06   #12
rs_us999

Thanks again. I'll run with the lubrication fix for now. It's saving me a ton of money. I'll let you know if I have any more problems with it. I agree with you on the dealer's eagerness to replace your cluster. These guys don't fix anything - they just replace parts. They actually don't have the financial incentive to fix things - they make more money on the part and charge you the labor time anyway.
Old September 4th, 2007, 20:42   #13
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

Keep us posted... I have heard of this and tried it myself to no avail but if it works thats great!

Old September 4th, 2007, 22:03   #14
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

I had a vacuum hose leak that affected the brake booster. In my case the effect was a hard pedal that resulted in very poor braking power.

I do not know the symptoms of a bad brake booster, but it seems to me that it should be increased brake effort and much longer stopping distance. A pedal that sinks to the floor just doesn't seem like the result of a failed brake booster. Am I completely wrong?
'03 Golf with 755k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 22:11   #15
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

Quote:
A pedal that sinks to the floor just doesn't seem like the result of a failed brake booster. Am I completely wrong?
Sometimes the booster goes bad in a way that causes it to actually pull the pedal down with out anyone actually pushing on it. It won't actually go to the floor but it will move down on its own. It sounds like that is what was happening to rs_us999.
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote