www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 10th, 2012, 06:10   #6271
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

It depends on whether you work off of parts prefixes or VINs.

By US VINs, the current Golf and Jetta are both Typ AJ, IIRC.

And, looks like 9B is only for Brazilian-production Mk4 Golfs.

Typ 16 is actually the type code used by the Mk1 Jetta.

Also, the A through E designations actually don't fit into the old (pre-early 2000s) VW platform numbering system - the Up! is A-class, Polo is B-class, Golf is C-class, Passat is D-class, and Phaeton probably skips to F-class (it's comparable to the Audi A8, and the A6 is the E-class car).

Then again, the outgoing system actually did work fairly well there - it assigned the classes to a number. Current Polo is PQ25 (passenger car, transverse, B-class, 5th-gen), current Golf/Jetta (given that Mk6 is a facelift on the Golf, and the Jetta's derived from it still) is PQ35 (C-class), current Euro Passat is PQ46 (D-class), previous Audi A4 is PL47 (longitudinal, D-class), previous Audi A6 is PL56 (E-class), Phaeton is PL62 (F-class), previous Audi A8 is PL63, and the Touareg family is PL72 now.

Edit: And looks like the P designations may still being used internally somewhat, even though all the longi cars are moving to MLB - so the current A4, A5, and Q5 are PL48, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; May 10th, 2012 at 06:19.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:17   #6272
VWWV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48hw/36town

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

WV - where relativity is more than just a theory.

TERM LIMITS NOW
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:57   #6273
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Yeah, really. I'll have to remember the chassis designations for the next time I get a funny look while pumping diesel into my Golf.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:00   #6274
fenderod

This looked like the right place to tell the story of my first official US diesel fill-up earlier this week (had filled many a rental tank in Europe on trips with my French wife, but it just felt different now that it was MY car). Found the cheapest diesel in the area via gasbuddy, about 5 miles away. I approached the station and saw a long line of cars, but no apparent diesel signs. I pulled up to an unused gas pump (everyone in line had their fuel door on the left, opposite of my Passat) and asked a guy in front filling his pickup where the diesel was - he educated me that it was around the other side of the station. Made me feel better it was at a dedicated pump in a separate area! Before I moved my car, he asked me how l liked it, how the mileage was, and told me he'd considered "not the Jetta, but that smaller one".."Oh, the Golf" I said, "loved the test drive but needed more trunk space."

I have to add - yesterday I was getting my windows tinted and midway through the guy asked "does this come in a diesel?" I laughed.
fenderod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:22   #6275
CrazyWJ242
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 11-40 MPG

The last time i was at the station, it was to get Gasoline for the cans on my Jeep... anyways i drove the wife's Jetta.... I had seporate people come over and be like your not going to pour that into your car right...

everyone asks about the mileage on it, (well obviously im not filling the car so it must be good right) people that know me and wonder why im not out in my Jeep and ask me what i think about it...
I really havn't spent any SERIOUS time behind the wheel of a CAR, other than my Mk4 Jetta, Everything else felt either too small, slow, or unsafe... and i've driven +400HP Mustangs, Crap like a Hyundai, and Grand Ams... most of them were rentals or borrowed cars to make a quick trip... (really quick in the stangs)

But yeah the fact that i don't let my wife drive her own car when were out together isn't because of how she drives, i actually enjoy driving her car... (especially after the mods) and have entertained the thought of getting my own now... so i can keep the KM's off my jeep... i was spoiled only paying $700 for Her TDI with a "dead turbo" i cant justify paying the price they want for one, even with the high miles...

CrazyWJ242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:40   #6276
okiebug2006

TDI(s): 2006 NB TDI

I don't have a humorous story yet but I'm already feeling the aggravation at waiting on nondiesel cars occupying the diesel pumps (unleaded and diesel on same island) when there is more than half a dozen empty unleaded pumps.
okiebug2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:00   #6277
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Last week, there was a combo pump at the local station, that was out of order on the RUG side. As I'm pulling up, this mini van pulls in. Quickly realizing that the RUG was out of order, she waited patiently for the customer at the pump in front to finish. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for her to move, so I can fill up. She even point at the pump, asking if I'm waiting for it. Of course, I nod, yes. So, she continues to wait, blocking the pump. She finally pulls forward to the pump, so I can pull into the combo pump.

Yet another case of rude gassers!

If the station wasn't so busy at the time, I would have gone to one of the other 3 combo pumps.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 16:35   #6278
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 78 MPG Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebug2006 View Post
I don't have a humorous story yet but I'm already feeling the aggravation at waiting on nondiesel cars occupying the diesel pumps (unleaded and diesel on same island) when there is more than half a dozen empty unleaded pumps.
Wait'll you get some guy with a Powerstroke rushing you to finish because he thinks he owns the pump.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 18:48   #6279
okiebug2006

TDI(s): 2006 NB TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Wait'll you get some guy with a Powerstroke rushing you to finish because he thinks he owns the pump.
LOL that's okay, I'll give the ford peeps a break since there is a powerstroke in the family (which I love to accelerate....I mean drive). It's the cummins and duramax that I'll give a cold shoulder.
okiebug2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 20:27   #6280
LA_VW

Fuel Economy: 30-35 mostly city

Quote:
Every time I fill up some mook pulls in behind me in a truck that they leave idling the whole time I'm pumping, I find it very annoying.
LA_VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 00:19   #6281
MKT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.9 MPG average in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_VW View Post
Every time I fill up some mook pulls in behind me in a truck that they leave idling the whole time I'm pumping, I find it very annoying.
Especially when you're trying to listen for the rising fuel to be ready in case the pump doesn't shut off automatically!
MKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:48   #6282
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
.......and thinks you are at the wrong pump and just made a huge mistake by pumping diesel into your "gasoline" car.

No new fillup stories to report lately. *SIGHE*

Last edited by n1das; May 16th, 2012 at 07:49.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 13:21   #6283
thebigtman
Veteran Member

A couple weeks ago I was filling up at a Murphy USA during their grand opening. Diesel was $3.43/gal, RUG was cheap and they had a full circus going on - DJ, bounce houses, games for kids and free food and drink. It was a small town USA big time event. They had a single file line for everyone regardless of gas or diesel and it was packed. They tried to guide me to RUG and everyone was shocked that my little wagon required diesel. They had never heard of a car needing diesel. The early 20's young man, who was cleaning the windshield for me, saw that I was pumping diesel and he said, "you know your pumping diesel into your car?" I said, "yeah i heard i can get better mileage with this stuff." He realized that i was joking with him and then he asked a lot of questions and seemed genuinely interested in TDIs especially after he heard about 700mi's or more to a tank. I told him about Fred's so maybe we'll see him here one day. The diesel pumps were slow and the fillup took three times as long. There was a farmer filling up two 50 gallon drums since this was cheaper than Offroad Diesel. There was even a semi truck filling up because he was saving .40-.50cents per gallon. He had both hoses going at once. I don't want to know how long it took them to fillup.
thebigtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 13:26   #6284
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I'm sure that if they are pumping fuel for very close to cost, they don't want the pumps to be running quickly - all that would do is empty their tanks and leave them with nothing to sell.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 17:27   #6285
ReadyKilowatt

TDI(s): 2012 A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
@eric.mathison, @ReadyKilowatt, et al: be aware that THERE IS NO LEGAL OR OTHER REQUIRED COLOR SCHEME FOR PUMP HANDLES IN THE US. Look around a bit, even just in this very thread, and you will find plenty of horror stories from folks who misfueled their vehicle because they were going by handle color rather than reading the signs on the pump.
True, but in the case of the story I posted, green meant diesel at the station I was at at that time.

geesh!
ReadyKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote