www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 29th, 2007, 04:56   #1
fly_boyz

TDI(s): none - yet
Default 1999 EuroVan WINNEBAGO VR6 to TDI - Companies that will do the conversion?

Just looking for a few suggestions (Canada/US) of shops that could do the conversion (if it's even possible).

Thanks,

Lee
fly_boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:26   #2
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Half the power (200+ vs. 90), more weight (twice perhaps?), greater frontal area and a higher Cd (twice the air drag?). Don't expect to have fuel economy pay off the conversion cost any time soon.
That TDI engine will be operating at 9/10 or greater far too often to be economical.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 15:29   #3
ramdmc
Veteran Member

There are a few options available, the 2.5 TDI 5 cyl from europe, available in the T4 from 102-151HP. It's a variation of the 4 cyl TDI motors available in our North American VAG cars, with an added cylinder. I know one guy in Brighton, Ontario that's importing these motors from Poland and performing conversions at a decent price. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone #. It's not cheap, but all are low mileage <60Kkms and these are german built motors capable of 500K kms.
I'm currently exploring this option for my Transporter.
Hope this helps.
RC

Last edited by ramdmc; September 15th, 2007 at 18:48.
ramdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:30   #4
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdmc
There are a few options available, the 2.5 TDI 5 cyl from europe, available in the T4 from 102-151HP. It's a variation of the 4 cyl TDI motors available in our North American VAG cars, with an added cylinder. I know one guy in Brighton, Ontario that's importing these motors from Poland and performing conversions at a decent price. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone #. It's not cheap, in the 5-7K range, but all are low mileage <60Kkms and these are german built motors capable of 500K kms.
I'm currently exploring this option for my Transporter.
Hope this helps.
RC
That is downright cheap for a conversion complete with labor. But I suspect Lug_Nut is correct, except you will probably never recover the cost of such a conversion in fuel savings alone. I'd also explore a 3.2 or 3.6 Vr6 conversion, bigger higher horespower motors are often a bit more fuel efficient with proper right foot management.

Last edited by Scott_DeWitt; September 5th, 2007 at 06:32.
Scott_DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote