www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 11th, 2007, 16:51   #1
jmaziarz

Default How NOT to remove a coolant temp sensor plug

This afternoon I was trying to diagnose a glow plug problem (code P0673) following the instructions in the excellent Glow plugs 101 thread. I struggled to remove the coolant temp sensor (CTS) plug for several minutes. Not making any progress I turned to practicing on the MAF plug. For the life of me I could not get the CTS plug unplugged so I used a screw driver to gently pry the little tab while simultaneously wiggling and pulling.

That was a huge mistake. The little tab broke completely off of the CTS plug and it now fit loosely when plugged in. My temporary fix was to wrap a few layers of black electrical tape around the sensor socket and plug it back in. It is tight enough to not wiggle off easily but now I need to figure out how I can fix my idiot move.

Oh, and to top it off I lost one of the engine shroud washer/nuts down in the engine somewhere. What a day.

Last edited by jmaziarz; August 11th, 2007 at 16:56.
jmaziarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 18:03   #2
JayT
Veteran Member

For a minute I thought you were changing the coolant temperature sensor, and thought maybe you did what I did which was yank the bad sensor and have "all" the coolant flow out before I could get the new one back in.

Those plugs are a PITA. I still don't know how to disconnect correctly, I've just gotten lucky.

Guess you weren't so. Sorry man

2003 Golf TDI 4-door GLS, Rocketchip stage 2, Boostvalve, Scangauge, LED city lights, euroswitch, Panzer skid plate - SOLD
JayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:24   #3
paramedick

When removing those plugs, make sure that you depress the tab, push the plug TOWARD the sensor, them pull it off. Oftentimes the tab won't release until you do. MAF is the same way.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:30   #4
Brasil
Veteran Member

Unhappy Confounding connectors!

I'm glad others have trouble with these connectors, too. I feel like a doofus trying to get them off. It's the same with the connector going into the fuel tank probe. I just gave up. When you say "depress the tab" are you talking about the area in the center of one side of the plug with the small square hole?

Was: 2004 Jetta Wagon 165K, silver, OEM skid plate, RC1+ (zoom zoom!), Koni reds, Shine rear sway, SBC I clutch, F90BT nav, Polk speakers, JL tire sub, etc.
Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 13:03   #5
pghPAtdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/40/34

I found that paramedics method works. Pushing in on the plug and bit fist separates the ovelapping tabs. Then with a little flatheadrock the locking tab back.
I broke one once....not again.
Old August 19th, 2007, 14:20   #6
afarfalla
Veteran Member

you can buy the connector with a pig tail from VW, and splice it in
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 14:21   #7
kingkos
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaziarz
This afternoon I was trying to diagnose a glow plug problem (code P0673) following the instructions in the excellent Glow plugs 101 thread. I struggled to remove the coolant temp sensor (CTS) plug for several minutes. Not making any progress I turned to practicing on the MAF plug. For the life of me I could not get the CTS plug unplugged so I used a screw driver to gently pry the little tab while simultaneously wiggling and pulling.

That was a huge mistake. The little tab broke completely off of the CTS plug and it now fit loosely when plugged in. My temporary fix was to wrap a few layers of black electrical tape around the sensor socket and plug it back in. It is tight enough to not wiggle off easily but now I need to figure out how I can fix my idiot move.

Oh, and to top it off I lost one of the engine shroud washer/nuts down in the engine somewhere. What a day.
you think you had a bad day doing that?....3 days ago, I went to replace my coolant temp sensor which has been in that housing for 7 years, and broken for the past 4 months. Well i got it unplugged but the damn sensor did not wanna come out! I pryed at it with a screw driver until I heard a piece of metal break off and land on the belly pan.

I then realized I broke the stupid housing where the sensor plugs into! I ended up zap strapping the new one in there until I could go and buy a new housing for it. I think its official name is the side coolant flange. When I got home, I took the whole thing apart just to realize that the new housing I bought did not have those stupid glow plug heaters for the coolant which was fine by me, but because of that, it needed a longer bolt. I had to put everything back together (including zap straps) and drive down to the hardware store to buy those longer bolts, then went home and took everything apart again, put the new side coolant flange on including new bolts and all....

anyways, that was a crappy day. its all good now though.

Steve

kingkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 14:27   #8
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
The little tab broke completely off of the CTS plug and it now fit loosely when plugged in. My temporary fix was to wrap a few layers of black electrical tape around the sensor socket and plug it back in. It is tight enough to not wiggle off easily but now I need to figure out how I can fix my idiot move.

Don't feel bad, Volkswagen dealers do stuff like that all the time. I could show you some stuff under my hood; electrical tape, broken things, etc. Their shop labour rate is $106.95/hour. I guess they don't have time to do things like being careful or giving a damn about a car that isn't their own.
Old September 14th, 2007, 15:50   #9
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

You'd think for that rate they'd take their freakin' time....

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:55   #10
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater
You'd think for that rate they'd take their freakin' time....
Ahhh that would be correct if they actually charged you for the time it really took to fix a problem. They often charge the generous time alloted in "the book" so the actual shop rate is considerably higher and they make more money if they can do the job faster than the book. This is one of the reasons they don't like you to watch them as they work.

"There is lots of work to be done, if we are to achieve the kind of society people have the right to expect." Tommy Douglas

Having trouble with limp mode... Troubleshooting Low Power

Having trouble searching? Read this thread on advance search in forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133579
Canadian_Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 15:53   #11
B.L.T
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1100km

A handy tip for removing those type of plugs. Stick a flat head screw driver inbtween the tab and the plug and twist the screwdriver. The edges of the flat blade push the tab open to unlatch it so you can remove it. Doing it this way, im able to remove that plug in under a minute with very minimal struggle
Old September 16th, 2007, 16:28   #12
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Grizzly
Ahhh that would be correct if they actually charged you for the time it really took to fix a problem.
Almost all shops charge per job not by the hour. The hourly rate only exists to figure the cost of a job. It seems that everyone wants to pay actually time when it takes less time but not when it takes longer.

If shops charged per hour the slow and/or inexperienced techs would cost a customer more and the fast and/or experienced techs would be cost the customer less. Clearly you wouldn't want to pay more because the tech doesn't know what they are doing. Crappy work is not acceptable regardless of the hourly rate.

The auto repair industry has done a terrible job of explaining the flat rate system to customers. In just about any other business the customers are happy when the job gets done quickly, in the auto repair business they just complain they got ripped off.
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:09   #13
dloomis

Thumbs up Mod this up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.T
A handy tip for removing those type of plugs. Stick a flat head screw driver inbtween the tab and the plug and twist the screwdriver. The edges of the flat blade push the tab open to unlatch it so you can remove it. Doing it this way, im able to remove that plug in under a minute with very minimal struggle
Holy cow! This is far and away the best way to remove these plugs. After stuggling for an hour I almost gave up, then stumbled across this post. Literally 10 seconds later the plug came off with almost zero effort. Bravo!
dloomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:47   #14
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh, and to top it off I lost one of the engine shroud washer/nuts down in the engine somewhere.
If anyone on this forum tells you that they didn't spend an extra 30mins crawling under the car, removing the belly pan or skidplate to retrieve that last nut/screw or the small screwdriver that fell, is a big fat liar! For me, I generally do it when I am completely done and am collecting the tools propped somewhere on the engine. Oops! ...NO NO...DAMNIT!
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:49   #15
myke_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick
When removing those plugs, make sure that you depress the tab, push the plug TOWARD the sensor, them pull it off.
Ditto, I had a hell of a time with these until I learned that little trick, now it's cake.
myke_w is offline   Reply With Quote