help possible dealer issues

Mowbray

TDI
jetta 2003 sedan
had some work done at a local vw dealer... took 2003 tdi in for its 10k oil chance etc... dealer calls sez hey the timing belt is looking very rough and should replace, water pump and thermostat too.. i say ok i know since they are already that deep into the car... make it so... plus the car has 101k miles on it... later that day the cars is sluggish and emmitting black smoke from the exhaust... not at all normal... sounds way off...

remember the car was fine prior to timing belt change... no problems runs like a champ now ***... what did the dealer mechanics forget to do?

help me with some suggestions... i have already paid $1600 for the work that was performed

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Please note that you have an A4 vehicle, while this forum is for the older models. When you get it moved, you may also want to post a listing of parts they replaced. That will give some indication of what they should have done. Black smoke is not good - probably disconnected the innercooler hose and didn't put it back on right. Are you getting a CEL?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Either the timing is badly wrong, or they did not get everything exactly aligned. It could be both.

Pop the TB cover off and see if there are paint marks. If so, crank/cam/IP probably misaligned.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am curious why the dealer had to call you and "upsell" you a normal required PM item that was DUE anyways at 100k?

But yes, sounds like they did the job wrong. I am not surprised. :rolleyes: