www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old June 24th, 2007, 12:34   #1
clyde
Veteran Member

Question Relay, position 16, 1997 Jetta TDi

Installing TDi engine from 1997 Jetta in 1990 Jetta.

The Bentley manual (1993–early1999 Golf, Jetta, TDi) shows relay position 12 (bottom right of panel) as glow plug relay. The relay in that socket has the large terminals found on a glow plug relay.

However, the relay in position 16—fourth from the left above the relay panel—is piggybacked on a large (50 Amp) fuse. The wire colors (red, red-white) connected to this fuse show it to be the glow plug fuse.

The Bentley manual gives no description of relays 13–24. It dismisses their function as for "optional equipment."

What is the function of the relay in position 16, just above the glow plug fuse?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 15:03   #2
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Installing TDi engine from 1997 Jetta in 1990 Jetta.

The Bentley manual (1993–early1999 Golf, Jetta, TDi) shows relay position 12 (bottom right of panel) as glow plug relay. The relay in that socket has the large terminals found on a glow plug relay.

However, the relay in position 16—fourth from the left above the relay panel—is piggybacked on a large (50 Amp) fuse. The wire colors (red, red-white) connected to this fuse show it to be the glow plug fuse.

The Bentley manual gives no description of relays 13–24. It dismisses their function as for "optional equipment."

What is the function of the relay in position 16, just above the glow plug fuse?
IIRC Position 12 is the fuel pump relay on gas cars. I'm still using it as the fuel pump relay for the in-tank pump on my Golf. That extra relay in the carrier with the large fuse is in fact the glow plug relay regardless of what the Bentley tells you.

vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 18:27   #3
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

The 1996 Passat TDI has a glow plug relay in position 12.
The 1997 Passat TDI has a jumper in position 12. The jumper feeds the power to the remotely mounted glow plug relay. I suspect that you'll find the 1997 Jetta similar to the 1997 Passat.
I removed the position 12 fuel pump relay from my 1997 Passat and installed the position 12 glow plug relay from my 1996 TDI engine donor.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 23:37   #4
sdturbo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

The big red/white 8gauge wire with the 50amp inline fuse goes to the glow plug relay.
PM me for fab or mechanic work.
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:33   #5
clyde
Veteran Member

VW Mikel, the socket in position 16 cannot accept the glow plug relay—its connectors are standard size, too small for the current carrying terminals on the glow plug (GP) relay. The GP relay on the donor 97 Jetta was in position 12 (the only socket that will accept the large prongs on the GP relay), and the glow plug fuse (with the 8 gage red-white wire) is underneath the still-anonymous position 16 relay.

I'll use a meter to trace the origin and destination of the two red wires on #16 relay. The wires on relay 16, by the way, are much too small to carry 50 amps without roasting the insulation.

Relay 16 may furnish +12 to the ECU…
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:05   #6
vwmikel

I don't recall which relay position is what off hand but I can tell you that my relay carrier for the glow plugs was seperate from the fuse block with it's own large fuse. Yours may very well be different if it is from a different model or build date.

vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote