VAG-COM only way to turn off DRLs?

Fulton

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have an '06+ TDI Jetta.

I work on a military base, and the MPs hate that I can't turn off my lights ("day running lights") when I pull up in the dark.

My research in these forums and elsewhere makes me think that VAG-COM is my best bet for turning off the DRLs.

Is that correct? Is it a pretty safe process?

Is VAG-COM as easy-to-use, cool and useful as it looks on the Ross-Tech website?

I'd appreciate any advice.

--Fulton

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
You'll have to be a little more specific about your location in VA. If you are in the Military District of Washington, then I can help you.

The easiest solution is to get the appropriate European headlight switch (depends if you have auto headlights or not) and then use VAG-COM (which I have) to turn off the DRLs. The Euro switch adds back a "parking" lights function.

I just turned off the DRLs on my Eos for the same reason you need to...

Eck

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 2003 reflex silver 2dr, 5 speed
Pull the switch out, disconnect from the socket and tape up the terminal "tfl" That's all. No more DRL. If you buy a Euro switch, you still have to tape it at the same pin. The only difference is, that you can drive around with your parking lights on.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That doesn't work for an A5 car. The lights are run by computer.

You can pull the handbrake up one click. But to shut them off totally you need vag-com.

-Jason

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I suggest using the hand brake technique. As you pull up pull the handbrake on, just slightly. The DLR's will turn off. If you are going over 11 mph an alert will sound shortly.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I would write the base commander, provost marshal and tell them to have their MPs get with the times. DRL save lives and are a fact of life. I have worked on Army and Air Force bases since I first bought my 2000 NB and still do and I have NEVER had anyone on the gate comment on my DRLs!

Fulton said:
I have an '06+ TDI Jetta.

I work on a military base, and the MPs hate that I can't turn off my lights ("day running lights") when I pull up in the dark.

My research in these forums and elsewhere makes me think that VAG-COM is my best bet for turning off the DRLs.

Is that correct? Is it a pretty safe process?

Is VAG-COM as easy-to-use, cool and useful as it looks on the Ross-Tech website?

I'd appreciate any advice.

--Fulton

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm with you Jibeho. So many cars have DRLs that they just need to deal with it. My work takes me on and off military bases of all four services and the only ones that ever whine are the Air Force. Most Army and Navy bases are now guarded by contractors and only Marine and Air Force still put their MPs/SPs at the gate. The Marines are respectful and able to deal with the situation, while the flyboys like to make much adieu about nothing. I guess that's what a 6-week low-impact basic training does for you.:rolleyes:

Semper Fi

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
I'm with you Jibeho. So many cars have DRLs that they just need to deal with it. My work takes me on and off military bases of all four services and the only ones that ever whine are the Air Force. Most Army and Navy bases are now guarded by contractors and only Marine and Air Force still put their MPs/SPs at the gate. The Marines are respectful and able to deal with the situation, while the flyboys like to make much adieu about nothing. I guess that's what a 6-week low-impact basic training does for you.:rolleyes:

Semper Fi
Some Air Force installations are guarded by contractors now ("cost savings" and such).

Flyboys? Pilots don't do guard duty. Now then. Prospective SPs go through additional training after BMT that is specific to their career field. You wouldn't make an admin clerk do the same training as an SP would you?

Even Army Infantry have been impressed by Air Force SPs in combat.:eek:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
great! a marine v chairforce argument!!!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hey Bob, I will say that I worked closely with and made great friendships with the SPs at Dover AFB when I was contracting officer on their multi-million dollar AT/FP entry gates construction project. They are truly first rate. Of course, I also was active duty USMC, most of it with the Magnificent 7th Marines, and there is no finer fighting organization in the world.

I won't knock any branch.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Every service razzes the others :) Part of being a family.

Fulton

TDI
2006 Jetta
THANKS for the comments.

I should have noted that, although my home is Virignia (Arlington), I'm posted at a NATO base in Belgium. We've got MPs from more than a dozen countries.

The advice to pull up the handbrake one click is awesome. It works! Thanks for very much for that.

But I'm still wondering -- for the DRL issue as well as others -- whether you guys have any experience, or heard of any experience, using the VAG-COM equipment to change this sort of thing. I understand the automatic doorlocks can be adjusted as well.

By the way, as an Army civilian working in a purple posting, I ain't getting involved in interservice competitions!! I love working with 'em all!!

Thanks.
--Fulton

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
As a former Army paratrooper, we used to call all NAPs (non airborne personel), legs. Dirty, stinking, nasty, legs. Although that was mostly Army, though. Didn't see too many other members of other branches unless we went to the AFB next door to do some jumping. Since many Marines are jump qualified, we usually didn't mess with them too much. As a former serviceman, I tend to thank all the others for their service. It kind of make me feel proud to see the military tradition carry on to the next generations.