www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 19th, 2007, 20:48   #1
iceman31

TDI(s): 2006 TDI
Default Does my Jetta have a block heater?

How could I tell if my Jetta has a block heater. I can not find a cord anywhere. It is a Canadian car so you would think it would have a block heater as standard issue. If it does not have one any idea ho much it will cost me to get one installed?
iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:24   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

From my understanding you don't really want a block heater. Search here for a Frost heater. There is a company listed here that will sell you a very nice little kit and it does an excellent job from what I have read.

Here it is. This is the one you want:

http://www.frostheater.com/
Old June 22nd, 2007, 23:41   #3
CAATS_Man
Veteran Member

"Does my Jetta have a block heater?"

My didn't and I don't believe it's even an option. Why don't you complete profile so we know where you live. The best bet is to check with members who live in your area to find out if it's worth worrying about.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 18:49   #4
Strider
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

At least here on the Wet Coast, they're not offered as features. :P Typically, from what I understand is unless you live in Sioux Lookout or Tuktoyuktuk, you don't really "need" one. However, on the other hand, a coolant heater (such as the aformentioned "Frost Heater" I believe) will make your car put out warm air even faster than the onboard electric air heater.

On the other hand, I don't know how much good it will do you. Even this past winter, on the few days when it hit -15 or so, I watched the temperature needle drop visibly while I sat at stop lights. The engine just doesn't put out much heat at all when idling.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 19:41   #5
CADtechTDi
Veteran Member

The Frost Heater is a "must have" mod for anyone in the snowbelt, IMHO. This tank heater will circulate warm coolant throughout the block by convection, including inside the cabin. I plug mine in for a few hours (using a timer) each morning during the winter.

While the modern diesel glowplugs do a bang-up job no matter what the temp, using a frost heater like this makes it easier on the engine during ultra cold weather starts. The engine turns over much easier, runs much smoother after initial start-up, and having a warm cabin first thing in the morning is an added bonus.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 21:31   #6
2footbraker
Veteran Member

Mine came with a heater but not a block heater, it's an oil pan heater. It came as standard equipment.

Mk1 Rabbit PD TDI project - BEW

2footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 21:36   #7
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Standard dealer installed aftermarket equipment

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 19:54   #8
odezification

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Hmmm I have a cord coming from the bottom of my car, I initially thought it was a block heater cord, but from what I have read, VW TDi's do not have frost plugs in the engine block. I would be very lucky if it was a fost heater,I sure hope it's that, but I some how doubt that. I live near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada so one would assume that every car purchased would have a block heater.
odezification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:25   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26 - 53 mpg

Newer TDIs don't have an accessible soft plug to put a heater. But they do sell a heater that appears to function very much like the Frost Heater everyone is familiar with. It goes in line and replaces one of the small hoses from the oil cooler. The last time I looked there was also a small ECM update when you installed it - but I have no idea what the update changed.

I believe I read something about the heater was either standard or only available on Canadian cars. And VW is very proud of the fact that their TDIs don't need a heater to start at -40C.

Jason
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:02   #10
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

OEM heater is more than twice the cost of a FrostHeater, with 1/2 the wattage, IIRC.
They don't NEED a heater, but will benefit from one in colder climates.
Old October 18th, 2013, 13:36   #11
Tim$2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW

When I got my 2009 the heater was not available even though there is a grill piece that will hold the plug for it available. I bought the grill with the plug holder and a frostheater and it worked out well. As for the car starting at -40C... It will proabably start without a heater but the ruckus it makes and how rough it runs for the first bit will have you runnning to your computer to order the frostheater in a heartbeat.

Tim$2 is offline   Reply With Quote