www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 11th, 2007, 10:51   #1
DrZombie

Default Car wont' shift into gear

This morning my wife was driving to work, slowing down on the highway, tried down shifting from fifth to fourth, and wouldn't go into gear. Wouldn't go into any gear. Eventually she somehow got it into first and made it to the side of the highway.
Mechanic says the flywheel is done, and that clutch needs to be replaced. The car has 176k (km) on it, and there's never been any problems with the clutch before. I've read on this forum and elsewhere that the dual mass flywheel is known to have issues. Talked to a few mechanics and they told me they've seen this before. Any thoughts?

Last edited by DrZombie; June 11th, 2007 at 11:30.
DrZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 17:29   #2
weasel
Veteran Member

Try bleeding the slave cylinder before you throw in the towel completely. Does the pedal go to the floor really easy ??
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 23:37   #3
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

What happened with this? I am having similar problems.

I could only get it to shift by rev matching while clutching.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 00:18   #4
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

ughhh, it must be that time of year... seen a number of threads on this lately, including myself.....

from what i gather it's probably clutch, pressure plate went or throwout bearing... did you hear any noise? i think if the DMF went you'd hear a bang.... when my clutch went it made no noise, so i think the DMF was probably fine. i was accelerating briskly 1 -> 2 then no 3, couldn't get into any gear

i also bled the clutch slave cylinder, and before the checked my linkage... all good... can get into gear when car is off, but when on, no go.... i can't say for sure in my situation it was the clutch until i get the old clutch out from the shop... but that's what all fingers are pointing to
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi

Last edited by burpod; August 3rd, 2007 at 00:25.
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:17   #5
chinaloy
Veteran Member

Had the same problems, only can get into gear when engine is off, then had to rev match to get into higher gears, then had to kill engine at stop and restart again in first.

turned out to be clutch disc spring broke and lodged into pressure plate fingers. I also troubleshot the hydraulic system and luckily that wasn't it as those parts seem much harder to get than the clutch package.

Unfortunately a clutch change is in your future.
chinaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:14   #6
JKTDI

Fuel Economy: 40-45
Default having same problems

i have a 1996 passat with 199700 miles and with no noises or any warrning i couldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd, then i relized i couldnt shift at all. I have to turn off the car to stop and rev shift to get to higher gear. my pedal has normal pressure and there isnt any slack on the way up either, am i doomed into getting a new clutch?
JKTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:48   #7
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Some of you need clutches/flywheels. Some may need an adjustment on the shift linkage. All need their card diagnosed properly. Try the TDI trusted list in your town.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:13   #8
aNUT

TDI(s): '02 Golf
Fuel Economy: Great.

Clutches are expensive. Do the easy stuff first. Like was said before, I'd check the shift linkage, bleed the clutch cylinders, make sure the trans has gear fluid, etc. All that above is less than a $100 worth of guessing, compared to a 1000 (sounds like a guess too) clutch.
JollyGreenGiant's VAG log viewing application
Fix your leaky injection pump - VIDEO by Runonbeer w/ Dieselgeek
aNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:54   #9
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Spring breaking in the clutch disk is fairly common with TDI's, this is what happened to my current engine. Think about it, when lugging in traffic, these springs are taking all the torque...

The broken spring piece will wedge intself between the clutch disk and the pressure plate or flywheel and prevent you from disconnecting power transfer...

This one was at 172K and the friction material was in great shape, this was a 96 Passsat B4V one.

jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote