www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:39   #1
RocketTDI

Fuel Economy: 43.7 hwy
Default New VW Tiguan: First Details

New VW Tiguan: First Details

• Trial Phase completed with a last hard test
• Tiguan comes with a completely new generation radio and navigation system
• The first SUV worldwide with Park Assist
• Offroad Mode activates an armada of assistance systems at the touch of a switch Chassis layout enables high reserves of agility and safety

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...-first-details

Volkswagen will complete the development phase of the new Tiguan with a final extreme test in Namibia. During the final acceptance drive on the African continent, the electronic components and chassis of the new SUV are the primary focus of testing. Considering the electronics, a technical highlight on board the Tiguan is of special interest for the testers: the completely new generation radio and navigation system. This was developed in close cooperation with the most important local Volkswagen operations in Europe, Asia and America. Worldwide development collaboration made it possible for a wider than ever pool of specialized know-how, and also the requirements of all markets, to influence the devices. The top system of the new line, with the designation RNS 510, has a 30 GB hard disk and is controlled with a touch screen. A rear-view camera enables a view behind in this case.

Completely new electronic systems also simplify offroad driving in the Tiguan. The particularly agile and dynamic SUV uses an innovative network of assistance systems with the name of “Offroad Mode”. Just on touch of a switch activates a whole armada of safety features, supporting the driver in a multitude of situation
RocketTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 16:39   #2
darrelld
Veteran Member

Default Tiguan Test Drive from Motortrend TDI Set To Launch Late 08

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching the web for sometime to find Tiguan TDI news and some production photos. Well I finally stumbled upon this;

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...uan/index.html

Doesn't look much like the concept to me...
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 17:17   #3
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld

Doesn't look much like the concept to me...
Me either, but...

It's pretty common for them to camouflage new models during the testing process. Lets hope that is the case here. In these photos, the headlights look like they are painted body color along the outlines but they still appear to have about the same shape as the concept car. Looks like the grill is also covered and of course, no "VW" logos on the body or even on the steering wheel. It looked like a Hyundai to me in those photos.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 17:48   #4
WDM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry but that is one butt ugly vehicle. Looks like some designer took too much acid and tried to one-up a Santa Fe or Rav4. Nice features and the interior looks really nice but I wouldn't actually pay for one.
WDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 21:53   #5
scrubber
Veteran Member

Last edited by scrubber; June 7th, 2007 at 00:56.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 22:38   #6
cheeba
Veteran Member

Ahhhh! They turned it into a Hyundai! Even the badges hint as much. Interesting how so few and subtle changes can turn a vehicle from pretty decent-looking to boringly generic.
cheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 22:53   #7
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (501k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld
I have been searching the web for sometime to find Tiguan TDI news and some production photos. Well I finally stumbled upon this;

I don't see a whole lot of new news here... maybe the timeline for introduction is updated.

I don't understand why the 2.0T engine has to come first -- this crossover just begs for the 2.0 TDI engine and no other.
'03 Golf with 501k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 23:35   #8
pdxgrease
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

i was so disappointed when i saw those testing pictures. But now comparing and contrasting between concept and mule... everything seems to be there. They just create different lines through masking like the lights, different valence, grill - but if you study each thing the concept is sitting there underneath the veneer. I'm beginning to have a glimmer of hope that it might come around and look close to the concept.
Old June 7th, 2007, 00:31   #9
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

I heard it was comming the second quater of 08.... no word of the tdi though...

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:39   #10
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubber

Great comparison pics Scrubber , I really hope that the production model will look more like the concept and those 2 pics show that the front end will be like the Orange one.

It sucks to be enticed by a concept vehicle only to get a totally watered down version when it comes time for production.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:30   #11
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Look mom, they made a Hyundai!
Quote:

Any of these designs would have looked a thousand times better, especially the green one. But noooo... they had to make it look like a Korean piece of junk. Totally weak

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; June 7th, 2007 at 02:33.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:53   #12
lbhskier37
Veteran Member

Thats the test vehicle, so they masked it up to look like a Hyundai so they don't get too many gawkers and curiuos folk.
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:06   #13
Vipervnm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best: 48.2 mpg, Avg: 43 mpg

I'm guessing a lot of people here have never seen a disguised testing vehicle before. The character lines look damn close to the concept. I like that the ground clearance has been improved.
'46 Willys CJ2a 2.2 L-head "Go Devil" 3-sp 64k mi
Vipervnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:57   #14
lupin..the..3rd
Veteran Member

Yes, the vehicle is masked to look like a Hyundai. Very common for factory prototypes in public places. all the manufacturers do this, don't worry, it won't look at all like a hyundai when it arrives at your local dealer.

I'm just disapointed to see puny little brakes on it. The first mod I would do is figure out how to fit the HUGE Porsche brakes from the Touareg onto this car.

I'm intrigured by what this "Offroad button" does. The touareg is incredibly capable off road due to it's serious heavy duty 4WD system. I wonder what they did here...

They better offer the "Track and Field" model with the TDI engine. If the TDI Tiguan is only available in FWD, there's little reason to choose it over a Rabbit IMO.

Last edited by lupin..the..3rd; June 7th, 2007 at 06:56.
lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:51   #15
V
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin_the_3rd
I'm just disapointed to see puny little brakes on it. The first mod I would do is figure out how to fit the HUGE Porsche brakes from the Touareg onto this car.
Why do you want huge brakes? The Tiguan is miles lighter than the Touareg. Huge brakes aren't needed and they will only increase the unsprung weight.
V is offline   Reply With Quote