www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 25th, 2007, 19:10   #1
den9
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta
Default straight pipe

i want to do an exhaust on my jetta but im not sure what to get. whats the stock pipe diameter and should i do a full pipe from the cat back or just take the muffler off and add a tip?
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 20:01   #2
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Stock pipe is 2.25inch. I ran a straight pipe (side exit) right after the cat. Sounds good.

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 21:05   #3
Whitbread

Fuel Economy: mid 40's with mixed spirited driving

Just run straight pipe from the turbo back, it sounds awesome and isn't very loud at all. I cut open the cat and hollowed it out due to the offset inlets/outlets. The pipe is run all the way to the back with a turndown right at the edge of the bumper cover and you can't even hear exhaust noise on the highway. The grin from hearing the whistling and whooshing will never leave your face.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 21:24   #4
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread
Just run straight pipe from the turbo back,
What about the flex pipe section?

LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 21:32   #5
Whitbread

I meant a straight pipe as in no cat and no muffler, keeping the flex pipe, sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by Whitbread; May 25th, 2007 at 21:54.
Old May 25th, 2007, 21:39   #6
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

In my signature there is a link to what I did with my exhaust. In that page there is a link to a car with a cat & muffler ectomy for comparison. You can hear what it would sound like. There are also a few more videos on youtube of various tdi's

Cutting out the cat/muffler is the biggest bang for the buck as far as exhaust modifications. It's not much/any louder in normal driving, has a nice turbo whistle, and a nice sound when you get on the throttle. I believe there are gains to be had with a 3 or 4 inch exhaust over stock size, but it is 10x the cost of cat/mufflerectomy. If LurkerMike gets his pipes into production it looks like it will be a more cost effective option for the TDI community.

Just depends on what you want, how much you want to spend and how much work you're willing to put into it.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ASV Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 23:42   #7
devonutopia
Veteran Member

I run 2.25" straight through from my downpipe, and getting big power has not been an issue. It seems as long as there's no fittings for the exhaust gases to have to go through, the size is fairly irrelevant. I know the gas comes so fast out the back of mine, that I very rarely have problems with soot accumulation on the bootlid/bumper.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 00:04   #8
Piranha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Managed 4.5L/100km once, but got bored driving so slow!!

I've got a 3 " on mine from the turbo back with 2 free flow mufflers.

space near the turbo is a little tight, but it's not that bad either
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:33   #9
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonutopia
........I know the gas comes so fast out the back of mine, that I very rarely have problems with soot accumulation on the bootlid/bumper.
The fact that the "gas comes out so fast" is an indication that your exhaust could be less restrictive. If you made your exhaust tip 1 inch in diameter it would come out much faster yet (and probably make your boost higher).
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ASV Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:42   #10
SilverTDIGolf
Veteran Member

Personal preference. Some love the sound of an open exhaust from the turbo back, some prefer only to remove the muffler. I did it step by step. Tried the muffler removal, but eventually caved in and went with an open setup and was immidiately hooked on the sound it produces!
If you are looking for a lot of turbo whistle, the most noticable on my setup was after going to a straight through setup.

Silver 2004 Golf GL TDI: R.I.P. (Wildlife Encounter)
SilverTDIGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:01   #11
den9
Veteran Member

i was thinkin a straight pipe all the way through wouldnt be enought back pressure. depending on the price ill get a straight pipe all the way back with a borla race muffler. unless someone can provide a sound clip of a straight pipe, besides that 4 inch one i seen earlier.

oh yeah what should i get 3 inch or 2.5 inch, i was thinkin 2.5 straight pipe or a 3 inch with a muffler
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:51   #12
den9
Veteran Member

bump?
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:09   #13
Whitbread

I'll go take a couple pics and a movie clip of my set up with straight 2.25" and 2.5" muffler elimination. The less backpressure on a turbo diesel the better. The turbo will spool quicker and you'll have lower egt's. The sound did change a bit with the RC3+ Euro but you'll get the idea , there no reason for a muffler at all unless you have vehicle inspections. I have zero drone with my set up.

Last edited by Whitbread; May 27th, 2007 at 10:13.
Old May 27th, 2007, 15:36   #14
velociT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30ish MPG

Has anyone just punched out their cats to achieve the straight pipe sound? Trying to figure out whether i need to have straight pipes welded up or if I can unbolt, punch out, and reconnect.
TDT for PD and now the Deuce Mafia Member #002

Then: 06 TDI 5M *sold*
Now: Ram 1500 ECSB, Subaru Impreza Estate | Both: CAI/Cat-back/Rotella T6
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 18:36   #15
Whitbread

I just punched it out due to offset inlets and not wanting to mess with bends and straight pipe. Just cut it open on the conical part of the inlet or outlet, B.F.-Hammer and chisel it, then weld it closed. Presto!