www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 9th, 2007, 23:30   #1
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Talking TDI in a Toyota pickup - now with pics

Hello everyone!
I am starting a motor swap for a 1991 Toyota 4wd truck. The donor's engine was a 3VZ with a blown head gasket & an automatic tranny.
So far I have collected these parts:
Toyota R-151F tranny & transfer case to withstand the extra diesel torque
VW 1.9 L 1Z TDI motor from a 1996 Passat
Motor-Tranny adapter kit from ACME adapters
So far, the only thing I have had difficulty obtaining is the ECU. I did find a list of ECU numbers:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=214167
There are quite a few ECU's for 1Z engines, many being Audi 80's or Golfs, for example.
Would these ECU's work for just the engine, even if they came from a different vehicle?

Last edited by e*clipse; May 13th, 2007 at 10:13. Reason: Add information
e*clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:33   #2
Spulen81
Veteran Member

You should post a WTB on here. I bet you'll find one. Are you using a turbo transmission or just the bellhousing?
Spulen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 20:09   #3
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Default About transmission & ECU

Hello Spulen!
The engine was delivered today. I will need some accessories, and there are a few little broken/missing parts.
The tranmission and transfer case are from a Turbo (22RTE) . The output to the transfer case has more splines (23) than the standard W56, so the transfer case & transmission need to match.
Here's a good link for that info:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
I have found some ECU's in Germany. One is from a Passat, the other from a Golf, both for 1Z engines.
Would either work?
Old May 10th, 2007, 21:58   #4
vwmikel

The stock ECU for the '96 Passat ended in a BK designation but was kind of a peice of crap. It has tuning limitations and you'll have to cheat it if you don't want the cat sensors and whatnot. The GQ ECU is the TSB replacement and is MSA15.5 management rather than the primitive MSA12 of the BK. There are some differences but an AHU ECU (EB, JB IIRC) should also do the trick with some revisions to the wiring.
vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:55   #5
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Smile More about Motorsteuergeräte

Hello Vwmikel,
Thanks for the warning. I would like the ability to add a chip in the future.
My search on MSA 15.5 yielded this link, which showed VAG#'s, Bosch #'s and whether the ECU - "Motorsteuergeräte" - was MSA12 or MSA15.5:
http://www.aet-tendahl.de/motorsteue...volkswagen.php
So far I have found these ECU's for sale:
In Germany:
028 906 031 GG - From a Golf 3 - ? GG matches, number doesn't-MSA15.5
028 906 021 AF - Also from a Golf 3 MSA12
028906021DD - From a Passat - MSA12
In UK:
028 906 021 BF - From a 1995 Golf 3 ? can't find a match - likely MSA12.
In US: didley/squat
How are the ecu numbers assigned? Do the letters mean anything? Does anyone have better lists/info on this?
Also, I will be making my own harness , so I suppose the wiring differences could be built into the harness. Pinout info, anyone?? I did find the connections necessary for a 1Z motor.
Thanks again for all your help!
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:08   #6
vwmikel

If I were you I'd just try to find a US MSA15.5 ECU like would've come in a '98 Jetta. Those European ECU's have immobilizers which will become another hurdle for you. There's just not much point in importing one when we already have them here and they're less troublesome to use in swaps.
vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:55   #7
Spulen81
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure you can get and adpater to keep your stock gear t-cases if you wanted to ditch the chain drive.

If you are going to make your own harness you might want to check into what the chip tuners can do. You can delete the EGR wiring for example, even the MAF if you wanted to. I don't think it will be that bad making a harness. I had to run about ten wires total on mine because of bad connections or chopped off connectors.
Old May 11th, 2007, 16:21   #8
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Wooo!
Thanks for the warning on the immobilizers. That's definitely something I don't want to deal with.
Sounds like the harness shouldn't be a big deal, thanks for the encouragement. I was basically planning on using the Yota harness & splicing in the necessary plugs, etc.
Regarding the transmission: The R-151F already uses a gear-driven transfer case.
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:10   #9
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Default progress pics

I'm going to try to keep this thread up to date with progress pictures.
Hopefully this will help or inspire someone in the future.
I'll add some "lessons learned" comments as well. Please feel free to comment on anything that could be done better.

There are more pics in my Gallery, "TDI Yota"

Parts were removed from both sides of the engine compartment:

The radiators, bumpers, lights, and fan were removed:

The power steering pump and starter were disconnected and pulled aside:

Motor being lifted out. At this point, the transmission was still attached. The motor had to be pulled forward to access the two top bellhousing bolts.

TDI 1Z motor as it came on the pallet.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:31   #10
e*clipse
Veteran Member

After a late night's work, I pulled the engine. The next day, I dropped the tranny out the bottom.

Here are the old parts: Cores anyone?

A shot of the Yota engine mount. I'm going to pressure wash the engine compartment & bottom of the truck. I think the previous owner's maintenance shedule was to lob oil containers at the engine, then go drive in the mud.

I'm looking into the possibility of using the stock mounts by fabbing the adapters to the TDI motor.
Old May 20th, 2007, 17:07   #11
Mtnkid85

looking good, im looking for a TDI to swap into my 85 4runner, Ill keep an eye on your progress.
What are your plans for the motor accessories? Altenator, AC?, powersteering pump ect ect. Are you using all the VW stuff or toy stuff? Does the TDI have serpatine belts or Vs?

Peace
Mtnkid85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 17:28   #12
e*clipse
Veteran Member

I was just looking into that in detail.
My 1996 1Z TDI has a V-belt for the water pump and a serpentine belt for the other accessories.
My toyota has the power steering pump on the passenger side, controller unit (seperate) also on the passenger side, then hard lines running over to the steering box on the driver's side.
The power steering pump would have to be mounted on the driver's side with my 1Z TDI motor, requiring even more hoses & complications. The result would be a very kludgy system.
I think Spulen81's idea of using the VW accessories is best. The hose routing is simple, and one can use the stock brackets.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158587
Regarding AC: most likely deleting.
Regarding Alternator: My V6 had a brand new alternator on it, but the pulley is different than the VW pulley. May be easier to use the VW unless I can find Toyota a serpentine belt that is the perfect length.
Old May 20th, 2007, 17:50   #13
Spulen81
Veteran Member

Just fyi on the water pump pulley, you can use the factory non AC water pump pulley which is a serp pulley instead of a V-belt. You just need a different belt and the pulley and that is it. The PS still runs off the v belt.
Old May 20th, 2007, 18:06   #14
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, Spulen81! I was wondering how that worked, since most PS pumps I've found for pre 1999 VW's had v-belt pulleys.
Old May 20th, 2007, 18:14   #15
e*clipse
Veteran Member

Here is the ACME kit, in case any of you were wondering what you get with the kit. It includes the adapter plate, ring washer, fasteners, and a Toyota flywheel machined to fit a VW engine.

One slight problem for my intake routing is the 1Z's intake manifold:

It faces backward. Anyone have suggestions? I would like a much cleaner routing than some U-pipe. Are there intake manifolds from other models that would work?