www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:03   #1
mxcale

Default EGT gauge question? NEED FAST ANSWER please

just a 2 1/2" turbo back straight pipe exhaust from GHL and i need to know where to put the bung thingamabobber for the egt gauge. i'd like to know the exact location of where to have that thing welded in on the down pipe. as in aproximatly how far down and if it should be (in acordance to the car) on the front side or maybe back side or left or right? thanks for any help!!!!!!!
mxcale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:11   #2
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Most people prefer the EGT on the turbo side - many options here. Search for EGT placement.

I have mine on the downpipe (been too lazy to drill/tap my turbo). I have it on the outside corner at ~45 degrees 'round the bend' from the turbo flange. It points up and to the left (as if you were sitting in the drivers seat). Generally - closer to the tubo is better (both pre and post turbo)
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ASV Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:12   #3
jetta-girl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta TDI

In the down pipe, as close to the turbo as possible, positioned so that it won't hit the firewall or anything else.

Good luck, with it.
jetta-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:13   #4
Locosmotion
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: LOTS

Dont put the bung in the downpipe. The egt will not read correctly. You have to put it in the turbo neck or down the EGR port with an adapter.
Locosmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:21   #5
Monkey1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64mpg, 60mpg, 56 mpg

All depends on what the egt gauge instructions say. Mine was a autometer and was specific to put it post turbo as it was calibrated for that type of installation.
Also if the probe ever broke, bye bye turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locosmotion
Dont put the bung in the downpipe. The egt will not read correctly. You have to put it in the turbo neck or down the EGR port with an adapter.

Monkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:22   #6
jetta-girl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Yeah, if it's possible that would be ideal. However, I guess it depends on his set up. On my car, we initially planned on installing the bung in the exhaust manifold, but it was way too much work to get to it.
jetta-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:34   #7
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
What makes it read incorrectly in the downpipe? The temp will be lower, but not incorrect I believe.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP110 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, GTC1444VZ, 3 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ASV Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:40   #8
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke
What makes it read incorrectly in the downpipe? The temp will be lower, but not incorrect I believe.
You can put it in your glove compartment and it will read correctly it just won't give you any useful information.
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:53   #9
DbLog
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.5 mpg best, 34 mpg worst

It's not that the reading will be wrong. Pointless would be more accurate. Installing it in the downpipe won't let you know when engine parts start melting. Does anyone know of benefeits having the dung installed in the downpipe as apposed to in the manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke
DbLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:56   #10
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_S
You can put it in your glove compartment and it will read correctly it just won't give you any useful information.
Unless you calibrate it for your application against a known reference, it won't be any more/less useful than anywhere else. Mine has been very useful in the downpipe. I plan to put a 2nd one in pre turbo as well to be able to compare the two. We're off topic arguing semantics here.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 21:56   #11
Locosmotion
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: LOTS

1 vote for the glove compartment.
Locosmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 22:31   #12
mxcale

alright alright. if the thing needs to be put in the manifold i'l do it. i thought it was suppose to go after the turbo tho. so now the question is where on the manifold is it suppose to go? does it need to be welded into the manifold or wut is the proper method of installation? pardon me for all the "newb questions".
mxcale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 22:53   #13
DbLog
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.5 mpg best, 34 mpg worst

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=egt
DbLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:21   #14
mycruiseagent

Fuel Economy: 56.4/45.1/36.0

I vote for this one:

Quote: