Odyssey Battery 'How To' with Pics

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Without warning Sunday night the original battery blew a gasket, so to speak. I replaced it with an Odyssey PC1700MJT exactly like this:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc1700mjt-battery.html
I've bought from these people before and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them (NAYYY), or you can do what I did, need it right now, buy it locally, and pay through the nose. But I digress.

I got smart after the forth or fifth time the battery box and my cheapo 'work table' went skidding across the garage like something out of a bad Abbott and Costello or Three Stooges movie each time I tried to put the battery in it to do test fitting. So I took a large wood screw and screwed it down to the work bench. What a great idea -- by the time I got to the car, everything worked, and it was easy-peasy. Here is a shot during test fitting:

The install requires the following modifications:
Grind the corners in one of the two Mercedes hold down brackets that you'll need to ask for special order when you order the battery. I have no idea how much they were as the store threw them in, but don't you worry about it, I paid plenty for them, if you know what I mean:

There is another one inserted into the other side of the battery that you can't see. No modification required on that one.

The sides of the case need to be marked and ground about like this. Yes, I know the cut-out you are seeing is irregular -- that's because the VW mount will deform slightly when you put the cover on, and not be quite centered or vertical with respect to the battery.

In the event that this is not clear, I'm cutting into the exterior metal jacket (not the battery case itself), which is an addendum to the battery, I.E. you can purchase the battery without the metal jacket (although in this instance, the jacket was needed to anchor the Mercedes clips).

With those two mods done, the battery will fit nicely where it's supposed to go. Here are two views. Since Odyssey provided two short 3/8" x 16 bolts and washers to go into the tops of the terminals, I added them after tightening the VW terminals down. The battery terminal leads make full contact, and aren't going anywhere.

^^^

The top goes on, no problem, and the battery cranks like crazy.

Al

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I think that the oem battery is an 85 Ah rating though hope this one won;t crap out on ya early.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It's not the proper Ah rated battery. You need 85 Ah like Doc said. At least where you live, you wouldn't have the glow plugs operating to kill that thing fast.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
the AH rating is from what I understand what really matters, like some put the optima red top in, same deal not the correct Ah rating so will or at least from what drivebiwire has stated I think... will reduce it's life compared to a proper one.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Larithmos -- C.P. -- 8 to 10 miles -- not even long enough to warm up the TDI's engine. The good: Edie's Pastries, Follow Your Heart (hippie food, but not too often), Cobalt Cafe (my son plays death metal there and dad and his ear plug are always invited), the antique stores (dwindling in numbers). The bad: it's dogtown at night; L.A.'s finest are too busy beating those who are unlikely to defend themselves, and consequently have little time to deal with actual tough guys who have nothing to live for. No matter what the Chamber of Commerce says, watch your back at night in C.P.

Doc_M -- Optimas don't belong in any vehicle. Overrated POS with charging characteristics that don't resemble those found on the business end of an automotive alternator. I'm too lazy to search my bookmarks, but if you care, types of charging, and what the Optimas require can be googled.

RE the Odyssey: it spins the motor like crazy, and it starts close to instantly -- the same as in my Blazer and my Jag -- unless they fail early, I'll continue to be sold on true AGM technology, which I've read the Optima is not. Over the years since they were introduced, I've had three Optimas die, so I don't consider them useful for any reason.

Al

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
LCR I was just going by what some have posted I am very happy with my 85Ah rated interstate battery :)

I had a proper CCA interstate battery but about 55 Ah rated battery if my memory serves me correct and it did not last as long actually died when it was to cold out. But had no issues with the proper rated one even at minus 26 C

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I have an interstate MPT H7 works very well. Also rated at 85 Ah, I e mailed them and asked :)

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
larithmos said:
Does your son have any songs out online? I know the Cobalt Cafe and am a fan of metal and play guitar off and on. For some reason my Grandpa who lives there still leaves his doors unlocked. He has had two cars stolen in the past 10 years (probably from leaving the doors unlocked, but I know he locks those now). Not the safest place, but I love to drive Valley Circle and head up into the hills when the sun is shining.
Here I am, helping to hijack my own thread. The Cobalt likes them and asks them back regularly. They are on myspace like everyone else their age, but I don't see anywhere to click for songs. I'll ask him if he comes in before I go to bed tonight, which he probably won't, as he usually doesn't. He learned his sleeping habits from studying other great musicians, like Count Dracula.

Your Grandpa ought to lock his doors anywhere in the L.A. area. No area is particularly safe, but in C.P. we're talking serious gangs.

Valley Circle -- Heading up into the hills could be either north or south. I don't drive it much, but I see your point.
Al