www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 8th, 2000, 21:57   #1
Biesel

Default Is there a difference between truck diesel and auto diesel

I went to fill up at my local diesel distributor and they had pumps labeled Diesel for trucks and another labeled diesel for autos. Both cost the same but I was wondering if there was a difference and if I could use the truck diesel in my New Beetle TDI.
Biesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2000, 02:53   #2
chopchop
Veteran Member

Default Re: Is there a difference between truck diesel and auto diesel

Just the rate of pump delivery, I suspect. That's the case here in the UK, anyway! The brew's the same.

You're liable to get it all over you if it blows back from the truck pump!
chopchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2000, 08:03   #3
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

In some states there are specified "tax exempt" pumps. To use these requires a valid tax certificate to be posted on the vehicle being fueled. Refueling from these pumps without a valid certificate for that state is illegal and carries hefty fines. You and I would not be able to use enough fuel in a year to recoup the certificate cost.
The fuel has the same properties. The truck nozzles are larger and will fill more rapidly, too rapidly for our relatively small tanks. That and the possibility of the previous tax issue are the only differences.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2000, 09:35   #4
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

#2 diesel fuel is #2 diesel fuel regardless of how the pump is labeled. The difference is the size of the pump nozzle.

There is one thing to watch for when filling up at the large filling stations that have separate auto pumps and truck pumps. Sometimes they will charge more for diesel at the auto pump side.

I've seen several places like this that have one or two "auto" diesel pumps mixed in with the gasoline pumps. The same diesel fuel was priced higher on the auto side as on the truck side. They figure that most people with diesel cars and pick-up trucks don't want to fill up next to the big rigs and won't check first. I always drive around both sides and check.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI
BKmetz is online now   Reply With Quote