Kerma/charley the man

TDI
'03 golf, ran 14.62@93.13 on 3/21/07 on biodiesel
I just made it throught the first weekend with Charles exhaust manifold and Series 3 turbo installed. All I can say is it the best turbo I could think possible for my current settup. It all came from Kerma, enough that I recently ran a 14.62 at 93.13 with the old junk vng17. I was hitting over 1600 degrees before, Now I cant make it get over 1300. Low end response is the same or even better, No SMOKE with race nozzles, of course B99 helps ALOT.. but normal driving the thing makes so much valume my normal temps are down 300 degrees.. Its unbelieveable.. I'll let you know how it runs at the track soon. I cant wait for some more fuel now.. maybe even a non stock intercooler.. maybe I'll start autocrossing.. I wish I could rally....

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Lol! Glad you like it! Charlie is definitely the man!
Happy modding!
-BB

KROUT

persona non grata
Do you have any lag with your set up. I am thinking of going with the same turbo on my new motor.
Does it feel alot faster than with your vnt17?

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Replacement VNT 15

Dammmm you guys are talking about all this power and new stuff and I just got a stock replacement with a little super tuning from Charlie at Kerma and I'm blowing my own socks off with the stock turbo he sent me. Dang!!! I'd almost deliever my old defective stock turbo just to here my sweet new Kerma turbo spool up for me....LOL.

Turbo is in the mail Charlie (USPS)

Justler

Veteran Member
Mine should be going on this Thursday. Great to hear yet another positive response to Charlie's kit. How was your installation?

I've never been down the dragstrip, but I guess i'll have to take a trip once i'm all set and done.

TDI
'03 golf, ran 14.62@93.13 on 3/21/07 on biodiesel
turbo insight

the turbo has less lag once it makes any boost, comes on earlier in nomal driving, I made 2 more mpg last tank and I wasn't easy on it at all. It has more torque all the way up and is in its realm up to fuel cutoff, it seems to come to early now:D
I can pull 5th gear accelerating up hills before I was in forth just trying to keep egts in check to mantain speed.. It wont go over 1250 degrees where before it would hit 1600.,, with less boost... I am making 25 sustained now where before at 27 it would still be smoking.. all with the stock intercooler/aftercooler whatever you wanna call it. stock suck so it cant be great..
I cant wait for some more fuel, then more air,, oh it never stops, lol:eek: :rolleyes: :)

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Justler said:
Mine should be going on this Thursday. Great to hear yet another positive response to Charlie's kit. How was your installation?

I've never been down the dragstrip, but I guess i'll have to take a trip once i'm all set and done.
The installation wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Easier if you pull off the right wheel and half shaft. Of course it was really easy because I had nutsnbolts from Canton Ks. doing all the smart stuff. It took about 90 minutes to pull it off and it was reassemble in about 60 minutes or less. The turbo is great. But I've blown a tube so I'm waiting for a part to fix it.....

Mark@MaloneTuning

Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
This is the VNT-20 ST3, correct? Quite impressive hearing how streetable it sounds! Very nice drop in EGT, too. I wonder how close to 100mph you'll get in the 1/4 mi :D or if you'll break the documented 94-95 MPH record for MK4 in NA.

Last edited:

Justler

Veteran Member
I hit 115mph on the highway last night and mashed the peddle to the floor in fifth and it just kept boosting and pulling hard. I switched into 6th and the same feeling =).

I sit at about 25-26psi sustained as well. Still first tune.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
lots of finger tapping going on here, I've been thinking and dreaming of a new turbo for some time now. Doesn't seem too many choices out there, Kerma and Boost factory seem to be the main ones. I'm currently running an upsolute chip - which is great if you want to constantly worry when the boost gauge hits 20 in seemingly every gear... or is that just my driving?? Upgrading to Rocketchip Stage 2 in the coming weeks. So would like to upgrade my turbo and add a Boost Factory side mounted intercooler. Any advise??

Justler

Veteran Member
I like not having a boost valve to control excess boost. I don't ever worry about my turbo spiking to 40psi and staying there.

I did not know Boost Factory was offering VNT turbos? They offer FMICs and SMICs, I know that.

I'd advise that if you want to upgrade your turbo, that you do it before you take it to Jeff. I believe Jeff recommends and VNT17/22 combo for his "big power" tunes. I believe that's what the RallyVW car is using, but I very well could be incorrect.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
BF does not offer VNT turbos at this time.

beachkokopelli: A '06 Jetta has a stock FMIC so any SMIC will not be plug 'n play. 20 PSI is fine for brief spikes, but 18 PSI is recommended for sustained boost. If you want a turbo upgrade for your '06, then wait until KERMA has his bolt-on turbo upgrade available. I was planning on one for my '06 Jetta. If you do get a turbo upgrade, you'll want chip tuning to match. And upgrade the injectors. The exhaust too.

Last edited:

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
After buying ( and then shipping it back ) an Aero Turbine muffler and then bought a K & N drop in filter ( and then took it out ), I think I'll take some advise for a change about Kerma ;) I regularly hit 100 MPH on the highways, so my boost is all over the place. It spikes hard ( 18-20 PSI ) in 2 & 3rd gears when the revs are hardly hitting 15 RPM. End of the month I'm hoping Jeff will have some time to work with me. On the original matter, boost factory offer the GT20 turbo, 8v turbo manifold with T25 flange, and the SMIC. The SMIC drops the boost by 4 psi...

http://boostfactory.net/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=77

As Kerma has all the experience I'll probably go with them, I just like to know my options.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
on a side note, I pushed 120 MPH today ( GPS tracked ), still had a bit left, maybe 5-8 more. Not bad for JUST a stage one upsolute chip huh ;)

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
koko - if you dont want a constant check engine light then you will want to go with kerma kp39 "stealth" turbo and a stage II map. You could do a bigger turbo like a vnt-20, but it would throw a code. Definitely get a hold of kerma (charlie) and chat him up about your goals and budget. That is what it will come down to.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
pdxgrease said:
You could do a bigger turbo like a vnt-20, but it would throw a code.
Ahem, we have a solution for the CEL with bigger turbos. (the KERMA skunkworks is in high gear)

Definitely get a hold of kerma (charlie) and chat him up about your goals and budget. That is what it will come down to.
Agreed. ;)

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FWIW, I am being told I will see the first Eurojet SMIC next week...

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
BioDieselFreak said:
the turbo has less lag once it makes any boost
That is the biggest oxymoron of a statement one could make. Lag is the amount of time between when you get on the pedal at no load and when the turbo is making full boost.

14.6 is a great quarter mile time but you said thats with the 17 right? What tuning and other mods did you have on the car?

Looking forward to hearing your new quarter mile times with the 20.

Last edited: