www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old April 21st, 2007, 20:35   #1
TerribleTDI

Fuel Economy: First Tank: 46 City BABY!
Lightbulb MKV Fuel Filter Replacement Procedure

What is the proper procedure for replacing the fuel filter on the MKV TDi's?
Found ALOT of miscellaneous information throughout the board, but nothing definitive.
Doin' the 20k service and lovin' every minute of it!
Old April 21st, 2007, 22:11   #2
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=18

And get yourself a service manual, too!!

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=518

HTH

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:44   #3
Tim Birney
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 TDI

Order your Fuel Filter based upon (include) the VIN Number.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:21   #4
TerribleTDI

Thanks for the beta. Alot of new things have come available for the MKV since I was last drooling on this site! Been researching biofuel policies to the point that I cant keep up with my fellow TDi's!
Q: For those of us who dont yet have the Bentley Manual what are the correct placements for the funky blue gasket and the washer?

Last edited by TerribleTDI; April 22nd, 2007 at 09:30.
TerribleTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:11   #5
40X40
Experienced

The big gasket goes on the fuel filter cap. The little multi-hole gasket goes on the center pedestal inside the fuel filter canister just under the fuel filter cap. The METAL washer goes under the sealing bolt for water extraction located right in the middle of the fuel filter cap. Your car likely does NOT have this bolt and so doesn't need the metal washer.
It makes perfect sense when you take it apart.... really!

Can someone post a picture?

HTH

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:15   #6
DieselDavid
Veteran Member

Smile

This is a picture posted by another forum member at his web page along with other pictures and instructions for changing the fuel filter in our cars.

http://nofreerides.blogspot.com/2006...er-change.html

∙ 50.26 MPG lifetime average
DieselDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:27   #7
40X40
Experienced

Thank you, DD

Bil
Old April 22nd, 2007, 17:29   #8
TerribleTDI

Default Some reference pictures

Pic 1: Car off? Good, now unbolt the stars and wrap the fuel filter housing with a rag. Make sure it's against the housing good so that any drips dont go where you dont want them. Notice the little "tab" on the top of the housing facing you? That's for a screwdriver to break the "seal". Be gentle, and it will come off easily. Prop the top to the side.

This is what you will now have in front of you. The little blue gasket (looks funny) is currently stuck under the housing top.

Pic 3: GENTLY pull up while twisting. Its not difficult, but is actually simple/easy. It will take some force, but be gentle with it as other have said to keep things clean. You might even want to wear eye protection if you tend to reef on things.

Pic 4: Filter is out! See, not so bad now was it?

Pic 5:
New filter goes in smoothly over the center filter post.

Pic 6:
Install the new little olympic gasket into its recessed housing as can be seen here. It only goes one way so you cannot mess this one up (but go ahead and try on your own ). Edit: Now, replace the green housing gasket and then the housing top. I guess the fuel system with prime if you turn your key to "on" (dont start it though) a few times. Thought it was a "closed loop" fuel system, but after letting it prime the VW fired right up with no hiccups.

Pic 7: NASTY old filter! I did have some low throttle hesitation and "stammering" prior to changing the filter. That has ceased completely now that it has a new filter. Ive decided that 20k miles is FAR too long for these filters, and will be changing mine every 10k miles or every other oil filter. Took all of about 20 minutes enjoying the air while taking photos. Hope this thread can help some of us TDiers in the future!

Last edited by TerribleTDI; April 22nd, 2007 at 23:27.
TerribleTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 17:38   #9
TDI 4 RD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 mpg (first tank); 41.2 (second tank); now averaging ~42 mpg.

I thought there was a need to dump out the contents of the filter housing, once you have the old filter out, and before you put the new one in. Is that not the case? Thanks.
2006 Jetta TDI (build date Oct. 2005). 185000 miles. Mods: Euro LED Tail Lights, Amber Mode; Rear Fog Light; Aspherical Mirrors (Blue Tint); Osram SilverStar Hi/Lo Beams; DieselGeek SkidPlate; Hella Dynabeams; TDIFrostheater. Best Tank: 632.9 miles on 11.8 gallons = 53.6 mpg (06/08; cruise control set at 65 mph for most of the tank). Member of the 700 club (04/23/08).
TDI 4 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 17:48   #10
TerribleTDI

Ah forgot to mention that I used a turkey baster to siphon out the remaining stuff in the bottom of the filter housing, and used a shop towel to soak up the rest. Got everything out ! Dont know if it was needed really.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 19:58   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You also forgot to mention changing the seal on the cap.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 20:39   #12
10then34
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '06 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 44-48

Thanks.

Is there any difference in the change procedure between the earlier and later '06 models ? The filter cartridge seems to be slightly different between the two (there is a VIN cutoff between the two).
10then34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 22:18   #13
TerribleTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1
You also forgot to mention changing the seal on the cap.
Yah, yah, yah...thanks! Edited accordingly.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:06   #14
DieselDavid
Veteran Member

Smile

Nice pictures! Two more things to add from my first experience changing the fuel filter.

1) The cap with the 4 hoses on its top will be damp with diesel fuel when we lift it up. Put towels underneath it or wrap a plastic bag around it to keep the diesel fuel from dripping on the big fat hose directly below.

2) When replacing the cap mine did not push down into place on top of the canister containing the new fuel filter. So I positioned the cap into place, inserted the 5 screws slightly, and then gradually tightened those 5 screws in a star pattern (like we use when tightening the wheel's lug nuts). The cap slowly went into place in a fairly level manner and eventually it was seated correctly. No leaking happened afterward. I think the 5 screws are size Torx T-30.
∙ 50.26 MPG lifetime average
DieselDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:09   #15
TDI 4 RD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 mpg (first tank); 41.2 (second tank); now averaging ~42 mpg.

A tip based on a mistake I made - be careful tightening the bolts for the filter. I nearly stripped one by over-tightening (I didn't realize the Craftsmen torque wrench I used would not "click" because the required torque setting was too low).

Worldimpex sells the bolts individually for about $.30.
2006 Jetta TDI (build date Oct. 2005). 185000 miles. Mods: Euro LED Tail Lights, Amber Mode; Rear Fog Light; Aspherical Mirrors (Blue Tint); Osram SilverStar Hi/Lo Beams; DieselGeek SkidPlate; Hella Dynabeams; TDIFrostheater. Best Tank: 632.9 miles on 11.8 gallons = 53.6 mpg (06/08; cruise control set at 65 mph for most of the tank). Member of the 700 club (04/23/08).
TDI 4 RD is offline   Reply With Quote