Little Pittsburgh Clan

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Daveb.,
I think there might be a GTG happening in Erie this summer, but that is a ways to go for some. I could probably make it to your place, but I don't have much work to do on my golf. I could always stop at Export fuels to grab some biodiesel!
as far as liability... i haven't met any tdi owners who are complete jag offs, and I've had a few GTG's.

pghPAtdi, since we have another dave here, I'll start calling you Lucky

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Yeah, it turned out to be a long one. By the time I reached Glens, after pissing with Uhaul for almost two hours I had been awake for 31 hours and still had to drive 3 hours home. (insert crazy crack-head eyes)

Now it's time for the.......Holy crap Glen! You have got to be kidding me.
How did you work around the timing belt backing plate issue??
And......I'm not even sure what else to ask at this point.
How is this possible?

Oh yes.....Thank you

MOGolf said:
Dave got here much later than planned so surgery began much later.

Dave lucked out. I couldn't find any damage. It did have a leaking cam seal (now replaced). I put it back in time as it appeared to be a tooth or two off. Turned by hand several times. The belt made a complete run around. No mechanical interference. Put it all back together. Started it up. It started just like a normal TDI. Checked injector balance (a key to any cylinder being bad because the power output would be off) and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Let it idle a good long bit. Revved it up a little. Drove it up and down the driveway. It runs fine.

Last edited:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, thanks so much for you offer and time relplying. I think you name was already brought up by Glen when I told what happened. ;)
So I would have been giving you a call I'm sure.

It appears that I may be OK though. :)

Dave

Franko6 said:
Let me know what's up. If you need some work done or exchange... I can probably work it out for you on the head. From the sounds of things, you probably have some bent valves and mushroomed lifters. Probably no pistons involved.

If you were closer, I'd come and get it.

Frank

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Growler said the same thing tonight when I met up with him and Glen for the delivery of my Jetta. Huuuge thanks to both for meeting me with my working car. ;)
No damage internally, hand cranked without interference, buttoned back up timed and flashed right up.

I was prepared for the very worst and got away with only a couple of teeth jumped.

Tks Glen

Dave

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You're welcome from both of us.

kiva

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Looking for some TDI folk around Johnstown.

Anyone in (or close to) Johnstown, have Vag-com, and know a thing or 2 about PD's?

Veeno

TDI
2002 Jetta
Just bought a 2002 Jetta TDI and I am loving it. The only thing that has me a little worried is the timing belt (77600 miles). Should I be concerned at this point or can I wait a little to get the belt changes. I am from the Johnstown area and I am also looking for a local TDI mechanic that I can trust to change my belt when the time comes. Any suggestions?

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
Hey Veeno,

I recently had my '02 Jetta TB changed ... it had about 80k at the time. I took a day off this past December and drove from Pgh to Huntingdon, PA (about a 3 hour drive) to have it done by Chris Fisher at CarTunes. Chris is a great guy ... very friendly and very knowledgeable. He was recommended by another member (jwlionking) and I have to say I was very satisfied.

He completed the job in about 3.5 hrs. I bought a TB kit and took it with me (there's plenty of info on this forum for sources for a kit). Total cost was a little less than $500 ... 1/2 the cost of two quotes I received from a dealer and another local foreign car mechanic.

Chris is listed in the "trusted mechanics' thread that jwlionking started (--> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044 )

Good luck ...

j

Last edited:

Veeno

TDI
2002 Jetta
jwp175 said:
Hey Veeno,

I recently had my '02 Jetta TB changed ... it had about 80k at the time. I took a day off this past December and drove from Pgh to Huntingdon, PA (about a 3 hour drive) to have it done by Chris Fisher at CarTunes. Chris is a great guy ... very friendly and very knowledgeable. He was recommended by another member (jwlionking) and I have to say I was very satisfied.

He completed the job in about 3.5 hrs. I bought a TB kit and took it with me (there's plenty of info on this forum for sources for a kit). Total cost was a little less than $500 ... 1/2 the cost of two quotes I received from a dealer and another local foreign car mechanic.

Chris is listed in the "trusted mechanics' thread that jwlionking started (--> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044 )

Good luck ...

j
Thanks for the info I will give him a call tomorrow.

kiva

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Getting fired up for this fall football season myself.
Lets GO MOUNTIENERS!!!!

eat shi.t Pitt:) ;)

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
I had a little accident with my car :(
its either get a new trunk and bumper thats the same color as my car (porcelain blue) or get an odd ball color and spray it primmer till I get the funds to paint it porcelain blue.
I can get both odd balls for 80 bux
I was going to get an aligator chip(was going to go RC but he is impossible to get ahold of) last week,but then this happened.
I could probably get the bumper and trunk painted the correct color next summer,but would that be more expensive than just buying them for 425 both shipped to my door the right color right now?

What would you do?

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Did you get a quote on the painting job? $345 sounds like alot for a trunk and bumper.

I say get the oddball, that way, we can recognize you around town easier. And why not get a Red TDI badge while you're at it.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
astonishedboy said:
Did you get a quote on the painting job? $345 sounds like alot for a trunk and bumper.

I say get the oddball, that way, we can recognize you around town easier. And why not get a Red TDI badge while you're at it.
i'm going with the Odd ball :)
the trunk has a spoiler on it also.
Mos Def going to get a red TDI badge.
Should have the trunk this weekend.
Possibly the bumper
Ordering the badge soemtime this weekend :)
Who knows,it might actually look ok.
I was thinking about getting some black flares to go with the flat black rear bumper.

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
Can anyone local lend an ear ?

Hey guys ... I posted a thread earlier today (-> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=186020) about an issue that just came up with my '98 Porcelain Blue Jetta TDI ... and was wondering if anyone local to my area (Economy Boro / Cranberry area) might be able to stop by and listen a problem I have brewing.

After posting that thread, I pulled the TB cover to get a better listen at the TB roller and tensioner, and it doesn't appear that either of them are the problem. I had previously tested the auxiliary belt tensioner and that seems fine too. It's something else, but I can't pinpoint it.

I'm hoping someone with a little more experience might be able to help out. I really DON'T want to take this to Billco VW ...

I will be out of town tomorrow and Monday, returning Monday afternoon. So that evening or another evening next week would be great.

Just respond to this, PM me or call my cell at 724-713-4850.

Thanks guys.

John

Last edited:

Narcoleptic724

TDI
2011 4D UG Golf TDI DGS
Hey all. Just came upon the site (via the vortex). Just bought my 14th VW and 1st TDI.

I drove to Columbus, OH to pick up an 06 Jetta TDI (33k miles) with package 2 and Nav. Drove it back from columbus and was shocked that I used 1/4 tank driving 220+/- miles doing between 75 and 85 mph with the a/c on. Sweet!

It's going to be my work car and the extra money i spent on it should pay for itself in gas savings. I'm a real estate appraiser and cover 9 counties....drive about 40k miles a year.

I live in Brookline in the city.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone got a Vag that has a little time to help me take some logs?
Trying to get a Gator chip :)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Lucky dog!!!! Is that a brand-spanking new one? Looks it. I would recommend a road trip to the Ho5G's in NH on the 18th,being I guess that GTG near Erie isn't going to happen.Alot of the northeasterners will be there-I plan on going-around a 450 mile 1 way trip from me.

and01854

TDI
98 jetta tdi blue
Nice! A Pittsburgh thread/ Vagcom

KEKS, I live in the North Hills and have a vag com. Don't know if I can help, but would be happy to try. I have a electric blue 1998 jetta

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta wagon auto , 2003 jetta wagon 5 speed manual
tdidieselbobny said:
Lucky dog!!!! Is that a brand-spanking new one? Looks it. I would recommend a road trip to the Ho5G's in NH on the 18th,being I guess that GTG near Erie isn't going to happen.Alot of the northeasterners will be there-I plan on going-around a 450 mile 1 way trip from me.

Hey there Pitt clan, I havn't given up Im still trying to set something up with RC. I will post something when its a for shure, looking at a weekend in sept. or oct.

synth3mesc

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
just posting to say hello, i live in greensburg and have two tdi's in the family. good to see there are a few locals on here.

vondiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 jetta wagon auto , 2003 jetta wagon 5 speed manual
Gtg Erie Dates

I talked to Jeff today we are looking at the last Saturday in September 9/29 or the first saturday in October 10/6. Let me know.

muso

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey folks,

I posted to the Pgh forum earlier in the summer, asking for advice on purchasing a TDI. Well, happy to say that after months of patiently searching, I finally found a reasonably priced Jetta TDI wagon -- 2003, reflex silver, GLS w/ all options, 62k, 1-owner, all maintenance at VW dealer, complete service records with car -- buying from a dealer in eastern PA, so I'm getting the VW certified 2yr-24k warranty too. Going to pick it up this weekend. This will be the first time that I'll actually be looking forward to a 5-hr drive on the PA turnpike ; )

Plan on doing a light tint on the windows, snagging a set of maybe 17" wheels so that I can use the stock 15's for winter, and perhaps lowering a little bit. Any suggestions for where to get the tinting done, or what wheels to consider, or even additional mods that are worth doing?

Looking forward to meeting some fellow TDI'ers here in town. I live in Highland Park...

Thanks.

-muso