www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Eastern USA

Eastern USA Local discussions for those in the Eastern USA. (Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Washington, DC. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia)

Old May 21st, 2007, 07:03   #61
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Oh, right. Didn't see you have an A3...

I've got a black 2dr golf, but I'm nowhere near rush hour traffic!
Old May 21st, 2007, 19:37   #62
keks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45MPG average,mostly city with a sprinkle of HWY

it was a jetta> O well
Is the switchable RC alot more than the normal set up??

keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 20:08   #63
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keks
Is the switchable RC alot more than the normal set up??
Do you mean cost? I don't think so. It does take more tme to set up, because we logged data from both sets. driving around... tweaking... driving... tweaking. I was at Jeff's all day. Had nozzles installed too.
Old May 21st, 2007, 20:39   #64
keks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45MPG average,mostly city with a sprinkle of HWY

yea, I meant cost. That would be pretty cool.
Is there any benefit for either? Or does 3 just have more power than 2?
Do you switch from under the hood or do you have a switch you hit on your dash(that would be pretty cool)

Anyway my car is down for now, I cracked a EGR cooler flex hose by not tightening down the EGR cooler tight enough when going to clean the intake.After I found that the first hex was stripped on the intake, I put it back together quick and crappy so I guess thats what I get.
Just found out a couple hours ago when peeking under the hood,trying to figure out the sudden loss of power and a wierd Bell Vibration Noise when RPM's got around 30.
Any suggestions of someone local that might have one of these?

I know someone stripping a 99.5 and pretty sure they still have the Motor.
I might give them a call to see if the hoses match up.

keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:32   #65
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

You use Vagcom to switch between the two stages. This is for an A4. I'm not sure of what is available for an A3.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 19:09   #66
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

I forgot to ask Jeff how to switch between 2 & 3. A3's are cheaper to chip than newer ones- I had mine done at the Ohio GTG in April.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 19:19   #67
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/38 50000 miles

Just log into vagcom and change trans code

TDI Trusted Mechanics
Drivbiwire's Break-in Rules
jwlionking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 21:03   #68
muso

Default Newbie looking to buy TDI in Pgh

Hey all,

Very cool that there's a local thread. I'm a long time '84 volvo 240 turbo wagon owner who is making the switch to a VW TDI...I'm shopping for one right now...and thought perhaps you folks might be willing to offer some advice. I'm looking to buy pre-owned for under $15k if possible, and would prefer something with rear storage, so I'm leaning toward a 4dr Golf or the Jetta wagon. Also, I need an automatic because I'll be sharing the car with my fiancee, who doesn't drive stick (and doesn't want to learn how). Other than that, I'm not too particular about styling...though a sunroof and leather would be sweet ; ) Worth noting is that I'm making the switch away from the volvo because I just don't have the time to tinker with cars for hours each week -- for better or worse, I'm too busy for that now. I figure that buying something relatively new will hopefully reduce the time I need to spend in order to keep the car healthy.

What should I be looking for in a used TDI...Particular trouble spots or known issues? Good local dealers what you would buy from? Are there good local mechanics? Blah blah blah. I'd particularly like to hear your thoughts about reliability, since VW's in general seem to be getting poor scores in this area lately.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm REALLY looking forward to being a TDI owner.

Thanks.

-MARK
muso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 21:53   #69
muso

Default Newbie looking to buy TDI in Pgh...part 2

Hi again,

Just to make it clear, so that I don't get flamed for my question...I have indeed already read the tdiclub.com newbie FAQ, including the section on buying a used TDI. What I'd like to hear are your thoughts on this subject that may not be covered in the FAQ, as well related local issues like VW dealers and mechanics in the Pittsburgh area. Thanks...

-Mark
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:13   #70
Stirer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
I'm looking to buy pre-owned for under $15k
Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
Worth noting is that I'm making the switch away from the volvo because I just don't have the time to tinker with cars for hours each week
You realize these statements are mutually exclusive when looking for a VW

Just kidding. I have an '03 and it has been very reliable. 2003's are getting to the age where timing belt changes are going to be needed or have just happened. Keep an eye out for a good TB change if done. You already know about oil, etc. In my opinion, except for brand new, the '03 is best as it is the last of the A4 body with the ALH engine. Most of the A4 bugs were fixed by 03.

Good luck

No longer with a TDI.
Stirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:14   #71
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirer
Keep an eye out for a good TB change if done. You already know about oil, etc.
I would recommend looking for a documented timing belt change.

99.5 to 01's (some 02's) required timing belt change interval:
autos - every 40k manual - every 60k

02's up required timing belt change interval:
autos 60k manual 80k

Updated belt and pulley - 100k

Other then that as with any car, look for documented maintenance. VW's last a very long time when maintained properly. A TDI can cost you a lot of money if it isn't properly maintained. If you know someone in the area that KNOWS tdi's, take them along when you decide on your car. Wouldn't hurt to run a VAG-COM log.

If buying a 04 and up, look for documentation and also verify that nothing other than 505.01 CERTIFIED oil was used. If any other type of oil was used, its possible that the engine may not last as long as it was designed for.

Drivbywire once said TDI engines were engineered to last ~1.5 million miles. They will never come close to that mark if they are not properly maintained.

TDI Trusted Mechanics

Last edited by jwlionking; May 24th, 2007 at 07:16.
Old May 24th, 2007, 14:55   #72
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

German Built as Opposed to Mexican built would be a big plus!

Find out if the intake was ever cleaned, If fuel filter was ever replaced (particularly if car was running Biodiesel,) Just get all the info you can.

I have vagcom, so let me know if you find something local, and want to have it scanned.

Last edited by astonishedboy; May 25th, 2007 at 06:14.
astonishedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 16:17   #73
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Oh and never buy one that ran on Veggy Oil

Mixed Biodiesel is ok.

TDI Trusted Mechanics
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:07   #74
muso

Default More questions from a newbie

Awesome...thanks for the replies everyone. A couple of quick follow-up questions:

1) I'm reading mixed reviews about using Biodiesel (blends above B20) in the PD engine. Any of you have have experience with this, or know something that would clarify this for me?

2) For whatever reason, I haven't been able to find info telling me what models are manufactured in Germany versus Mexico, etc. I'm sure it's out there and I just haven't found it. Can someone help me out on this?

Thanks.

-Mark
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:13   #75
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

I think the manufacturing location is printed on the tag at the Driver's Door. If not, I think it is part of the VIN.