Release date of new Jetta SportWagen TDI?

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
coolbreeze said:
looks like it getting more interesting. september can't here quick enough now. In addition to clean emissions, the Jetta BlueTDI will achieve 12 percent better mileage than the last 2006 Jetta TDI. Driving on the highway the Jetta BlueTDI will reach up to 60mpg. The new engine is also more powerful than its predecessor with an output of 138hp and 236lb-ft of torque.
Jetta BlueTDI models will start arriving at North American VW dealers in June and go on sale in September.
Once again ... they probably will get 70 MPG because I bought the '06. And I'll keep using my feet in my '06 like Fred Flintstone. (It's not bad in the '06, but 236 torque compared to 177 and 60 MPG compared to 45)

LeeChristianson

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Moonrock Sil w/prem.
I like the look, but my only concern is the height of those tires... I can just imagine the ride one will get over normal highways with those...

I'd go for a wagon TDI.. In my business, I need the room in the back and ease of loading/unloading.. If they're around $25,000 I might have to obtain a unit..

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Get RC2, 143 hp and 236 TQ on the last dyno. Just like the new car without any payments.
I have not idea what any of that means. If there was a way to get better mileage I would.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Rocketchip programming the ECU to Level RC2. Doing that alone ups the power of the PD to nearly the same as the new car. Getting close to 60 mpg in the PD isn't really possible/practical though. 50's is though.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Lightflyer1 said:
Get RC2, 143 hp and 236 TQ on the last dyno. Just like the new car without any payments.
Wow those are nice numbers. Do you have any idea what the drivetrain loss % is? Obviously less than a RWD car, which is typically 20-25%.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Rocketchip programming the ECU to Level RC2. Doing that alone ups the power of the PD to nearly the same as the new car. Getting close to 60 mpg in the PD isn't really possible/practical though. 50's is though.
Thanks. I know about the Rocketchip and I'm considering it when my warranty expires. Is there any real evidence that shows that it can increase mileage too? I drive most gently for mileage, but I kick it to the floor to feel the torque every once in a while.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
bockegg said:
Is there any real evidence that shows that it can increase mileage too? I drive most gently for mileage, but I kick it to the floor to feel the torque every once in a while.
Theoretically, a custom tune could improve fuel mileage. But the VW engineers have already done everything they can to get the highest possible mileage.

What a custom tune will do is to increase the power, without sacrificing fuel mileage -- unless you use that power all the time.

What RocketChip (or Alligator) can do is save you money. It will make you love the car you have right now, so you won't be tempted to buy a new one.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Yes, a good tune CAN improve economy. Realise that compromises are made to meet emissions standards at the expense of both performance and economy. Todays emissions-reduction regiemes (EGR, DPF etc) are all known to impact pure engine efficiency...

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
TornadoRed said:
Theoretically, a custom tune could improve fuel mileage. But the VW engineers have already done everything they can to get the highest possible mileage.

What a custom tune will do is to increase the power, without sacrificing fuel mileage -- unless you use that power all the time.

What RocketChip (or Alligator) can do is save you money. It will make you love the car you have right now, so you won't be tempted to buy a new one.
Funny and very true. I love my '06 now and I'm tempted to put the RC in eventually. I don't think it needs tuned because it runs well and only has 20K miles. Thanks,
Mike

slapcin

TDI
jetta tdi 2004 blue
Back in july 2007 I walked in to my VW dealer and asked if they were taking preorders on the new TDI wagons. They said they were and I would be number 1 on the list so I filled out what looks like contract paper work with make model year and color etc. I recently went in to get new glo plugs and on my way out I talked to a sales person. I mentioned that I preordered and I was #1 on the list. He went on to say he had the first customer and he pulled out a list. Sure enough I was #1 according to the dates he went on to tell me I needed to give $500 to hold my place. What do you think? Is the contract paper work good enough or do I need to put down $500?

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
Did they quote you a price ($XXX over invoice) or anything? If you alredy have a signed contract, I think it's a little late to be asking for a deposit, but if they didn't quote you a price, then now may be the time to negotiate that and, in turn, give a down payment. FWIW, I was asked for a $100 DP.

slapcin

TDI
jetta tdi 2004 blue
This will be my 3rd VW since 2000 from this dealer 2000 golf TDI,2000 golf and a 2004 jetta wagon TDI. I also bought a 2008 CRV from the same dealer. All serviced with the dealers. I drive the TDI's wife drives the others. The paperwork has no price just TBD. Its the same paper work I signed in the past when I bought the other cars.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
slapcin said:
Back in july 2007 I walked in to my VW dealer and asked if they were taking preorders on the new TDI wagons. They said they were and I would be number 1 on the list so I filled out what looks like contract paper work with make model year and color etc. I recently went in to get new glo plugs and on my way out I talked to a sales person. I mentioned that I preordered and I was #1 on the list. He went on to say he had the first customer and he pulled out a list. Sure enough I was #1 according to the dates he went on to tell me I needed to give $500 to hold my place. What do you think? Is the contract paper work good enough or do I need to put down $500?
I would give them money when they have the product and when they can give you a date. They want your money in their bank earning them interest. If I was forced to give them money it would be $100 and it would be on a credit card, and only if they were getting the cars in in less than 30 days. That's my opinion.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I've been away from this post since page 10 or 12 or something like that. Is VW still planning to sell a diesel wagon in the US this year? Does anyone have a firm date? Thanks

QSHIPWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI SPORTWAGEN
Pay It

slapcin said:
Pay it.

Do you want a pleasant business relationship with your dealer and sales rep. or do you really want to go roundy round with these folks over the opportunity cost of tying up $500? At the going APR rate at ING right now this simple gesture of good faith will cost you a whopping $7.50 over the next six months. While your at it, negotiate anything else that you need to when handing over the check. No negotiation on a set price related to invoice or MSRP? No check.

Contract should also clearly spell out a simple condition indicating the deposit will be returned if the dealer cannot fill the order to customer's request. Keep it simple. One call to an attorney will usually solve any problems quickly but no one wants to go down that road in the first place. You want the car? Pay the deposit in a businesslike fashion with a simple contract and keep everybody (including yourself especially) smiling.

Last edited:

QSHIPWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI SPORTWAGEN
Sootman said:
I've been away from this post since page 10 or 12 or something like that. Is VW still planning to sell a diesel wagon in the US this year? Does anyone have a firm date? Thanks
Yes. No, but expect it roughly Sept/October.

blag

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
Found this link in another thread. It's nice to hear a specific date that the demos will arive (June 1st.). So if demos are coming 1st of June I would think pricing will be established b4 the demos arrive. If so, that would mean we should be getting pricing in the next couple weeks. I think we all have a rough idea of what it's going to cost us to get what we want but again, it will be nice to get it official. I agree w/ another member who says Keith Price is annoying in the interview. He seems a bit smug. Like we are all ready to just bend over and accept what ever price they offer us on these things.

P.S. I'm ready.:D

www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/04/25/085182.html

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Qship,
Thanks, I ran into an Audi/VW sales guy (friend) this morning and he's hearing the same timelines. He wasn't sure there would be a diesel wagon in the mix. But that said, he wasn't fully up on the details. I suspect that if a diesel wagon shows up he'll call in June and let me play with it for a day or so.

Cabbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
blag said:
Found this link in another thread. It's nice to hear a specific date that the demos will arive (June 1st.). So if demos are coming 1st of June I would think pricing will be established b4 the demos arrive. If so, that would mean we should be getting pricing in the next couple weeks. I think we all have a rough idea of what it's going to cost us to get what we want but again, it will be nice to get it official. I agree w/ another member who says Keith Price is annoying in the interview. He seems a bit smug. Like we are all ready to just bend over and accept what ever price they offer us on these things.

P.S. I'm ready.:D

www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/04/25/085182.htmlhttp://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/04/25/085182.html
I sure hope it is early June. I'm 4th on the leist at my dealership after putting down a $500.00 REFUNDABLE deposit and signing a contract at dead MSRP with no extras. I also have a date for an RC2 install on 6/28 so it will be decision time for me. While I love the idea of a new car, mine still smells like leather after 34K miles and has a very low payment. :D

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
slapcin said:
.........on my way out I talked to a sales person. I mentioned that I preordered and I was #1 on the list. He went on to say he had the first customer and he pulled out a list. Sure enough I was #1 according to the dates he went on to tell me I needed to give $500 to hold my place. What do you think? Is the contract paper work good enough or do I need to put down $500?
What do we think? What matters is what your dealer thinks. Sounds like he thinks you don't have a binding agreement until you make a deposit.

I have to admit I do not understand the point of a purchase agreement that does not identify a price and does not commit you to a purchase under some identified terms. Sounds more like a right of first refusal. Of course this could just be me. I don't really understand the point of a purchase agreement to buy something from a dealer who doesn't have the item and has little idea when he might or what it may actually cost.

Last edited:

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
Dooglas said:
What do we think? What matters is what your dealer thinks. Sounds like he thinks you don't have a binding agreement until you make a deposit.

I have to admit I do not understand the point of a purchase agreement that does not identify a price and does not commit you to a purchase. Sounds more like a right of first refusal. Of course this could just be me. I don't really understand the point of a purchase agreement to buy something from a dealer who doesn't have the item and has little idea when he might or what it may actually cost.
I'm very familiar with this because I had an extremely long wait on a waiting list for another car of mine. For that one, the first deposits went in a couple of years before the car arrived. The process varied dealership to dealership, but at my dealer I made a $2000 refundable deposit in the beginning. At that time there wasn't a whole lot of solid info on the car (We were working on projected MSRP, anticipated options, preliminary performance figures, etc.). I made an additional $3000 deposit (A year and a half later...) to place my order when my car approached in the queue, and the whole thing became non-refundable at that point.

This ended up biting a number of people because there were a few MSRP increases on the car between the first cars hitting the shores and the last early-adopter getting their car delivered. Nobody lost a deposit because of this though (that I know of). Either they agreed to pay the increase or they got their money back (and then the dealerships sold the cars at a premium over MSRP).

Chmeeee

Veteran Member
TDI
-
Starting at $22k

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125965

Edmunds said:
AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Volkswagen of America confirmed for Inside Line on Tuesday that there is "no specific timetable" for a U.S. launch of the new Passat R36. But the German automaker has new information for buyers who want to get in line for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen variants.

Volkswagen of America spokesman Keith Price is now able to ballpark U.S. volume allotments on the '09 Jetta SportWagen. "We expect to sell 14,000-15,000 Jetta SportWagens in the U.S.," he said. "About half will be diesel." He said the gas-powered Jetta SportWagen will go on sale at the end of July, starting at approximately $19,000. The clean diesel-powered Jetta SportWagen is slated to hit showrooms here at the end of August, starting at approximately $22,000. Price said formal pricing on the SportWagen will be announced later this summer.

"We are expecting the diesel Jetta SportWagen to be snapped up," Price said. "We are encouraging people to speak with their individual dealers. An order can be put in now."

Price said that while EPA fuel economy numbers on the Jetta SportWagen diesel have not yet been announced, VW is now saying that the car has the "potential" to return 40 mpg in city driving and 50 mpg on the highway. The 2009 Jetta will be the first U.S. model to use VW's new Blue TDI "clean" diesel. The 2009 Jetta TDI features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder common-rail diesel rated at 138 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque.

In the meantime, the new Passat R36, the most powerful Passat ever built, has arrived in European showrooms priced at the equivalent of $61,150 for the sedan variant and $63,440 for the wagon variant. The R36's 3.6-liter V6 churns out 296 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The engine is linked to a six-speed DSG gearbox. VW said optional 19-inch wheels will be offered at a later date.

What this means to you: VW of America offers some key information for you as you make your summer plans to get in line for the Jetta SportWagen. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

QSHIPWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI SPORTWAGEN
Dooglas said:
.....I don't really understand the point of a purchase agreement to buy something from a dealer who doesn't have the item and has little idea when he might or what it may actually cost.....
I'm going to field this one. The point of a purchase agreement in the case of my own future Jetta TDI Sportwagen when they didn't have the item, had little idea of when they might get it, or what it might actually cost was to make sure I would be first in line and get a square deal when they had the item and know what it will cost.

The expected result of my purchase agreement will be a refund of my $500 deposit if the car doesn't meet MY expectations OR I will be allowed first refusal on what arrives OR I will be allowed to place the first actual customer order at that dealership. In any case, I will either get my deposit back or get the car I want for roughly $1000 less than MSRP because I made a POINT of getting a purchase agreement and making a deposit in good faith.

redbrick1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
tiguando said:
Why does it seem there is never any mention whatsoever of the regular diesel Jetta, only the diesel Sportwagon?
My local dealer emailed an update today on the TDIs. He says that regular TDI jettas will be ready before the sportwagen TDI, likely the second week of June for test-drives.