Release date of new Jetta SportWagen TDI?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Jetta SportsWagen

The 2.5L five cylinder engine comes this fall

Early in 2008, the 2.0TDI arives.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
wholy crap, I'm getting glad I am waiting for the 2008s. Now its going to be tough to decide between this and a trunk. I would really **** if they came out with a TDI in GLI trim next year, then I wouldn't know what to pick. But I think a white wagon with beige interior would be hard to pass up.:eek:

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Future?

Just think guys this could only be the beginning of the Diesel parade coming from VW in the next couple years or so.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
starting at $18K? sign me up for a diesel, now! wagons are going to become what minivans were in the 80s and 90s = everywhere. get used to it as MPG becomes THE buzzword.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
TDIFred said:
starting at $18K? sign me up for a diesel, now! wagons are going to become what minivans were in the 80s and 90s = everywhere. get used to it as MPG becomes THE buzzword.
Glass half full??? I read a glass half empty "Pricing should start around $18,000 and reach into the mid- to high-20s as option boxes are checked." I got out of this that a moderately loaded TDI wagon would be in the "high-20s as option boxes are checked".

Acidhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
TDIFred said:
Hmmmm....the minivan payment ends in 2008.:D Plus with that 140hp TDI, I guess we'll have another payment!!;)

deezulmark

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon
Got that right! Got my Passat wagon in August and it has proved a suitable replacement to our minivan at nearly double the mpg. Sure wouldn't mind still having the extra space, but it has already carried us (a family of 4) and our stuff on a couple trips and has just enough. And of course the extra space not needed for most local use. The new "family truckster" for sure.

Fuel prices eased off after last summer, but they're going up again. The minivan is now the secondary car, but I'll probably be looking for an '01-'03 Jetta wagon when some of them get old enough for me to afford one. I'm sure a lot of other folks are figuring out that having a family doesn't automatically = "need a minivan".

But for those that have larger families, when are we going to see a TDI minivan?

TDIFred said:

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Bob S. said:
Glass half full??? I read a glass half empty "Pricing should start around $18,000 and reach into the mid- to high-20s as option boxes are checked." I got out of this that a moderately loaded TDI wagon would be in the "high-20s as option boxes are checked".
Hopefully we will be able to get a leather box to check. From reading VWVortex it looks like the normal Jetta is dropping leather, climatronic, and 2.0T. It says only way to get 2.0T or leather is in a GLI, but maybe we will be able to get it in a wagon or TDI sedan too. I would find it very hard to spend high 20s on a car without leather.

csmeutah

TDI
not yet
deezulmark said:
Got that right! Got my Passat wagon in August and it has proved a suitable replacement to our minivan at nearly double the mpg. Sure wouldn't mind still having the extra space, but it has already carried us (a family of 4) and our stuff on a couple trips and has just enough. And of course the extra space not needed for most local use. The new "family truckster" for sure.

Fuel prices eased off after last summer, but they're going up again. The minivan is now the secondary car, but I'll probably be looking for an '01-'03 Jetta wagon when some of them get old enough for me to afford one. I'm sure a lot of other folks are figuring out that having a family doesn't automatically = "need a minivan".

But for those that have larger families, when are we going to see a TDI minivan?
Skip the minivan and stretch the passat wagon so I can fit my 4 kids. I could buy two for the price of a Q7...

jgaluardi

TDI
2006.5 Jetta
If wagons become the new mini-van, that only puts us about 12 years behind the Europeans, as that is what I have seen in my last few trips!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
and Mercedes and Jaguar and....wagons, face it. the paradigm shift is on. a car need not be nerdy to be useful. this new Jetta wagon (vagon) might be all the space you need. maybe we ought to be down-sizing our expectations and learn to leave a few (not-needed) things at home?

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
rez311 said:
What's up with the Wagon trend? BMW is releasing a M5 wagon...

If you look back in time, one of the nicest looking cars of all time was the Volvo P1800ES (wagon).

Today they are good looking cars all the time, and in our case, we went from an SUV to the VW Passat. The wagon was the only thing that comes close to replacing that space.

You can have your cake and eat it too, great mileage, great driving and handling car and good looking.

They are not only viable, but highly sought after. The Passat TDI wagon is rare enough it may become a collectors item!

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
that sunroof is about 1/2 inch from being a convertable with a roll cage.

2000m2

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Ca?

Excellent. I think it looks great!
Will this diesel be available in California? That will help me decide wether or not to wait...

Thanks!

RedBenz83

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS Auto
2000m2 said:
Excellent. I think it looks great!
Will this diesel be available in California? That will help me decide wether or not to wait...

Thanks!
I can 99.99999% guarantee you it will be 50-state legal; otherwise it makes little or no economic sense t develop a car and not be able to sell it in the country's biggest markets. Which is good news for us diesel-starved CARB staters!:D

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
We like the great combination of hatchback practicality and responsible small-displacement fuel economy, plus the fun-centric driving experience that the Rabbit and GTI offer. Although the five-door version of both cars debuted just last year, there are always those who want more. For people with bigger dogs, bigger kids, and pricier trips to the grocery store than the five-doors can handle, VW’s only offerings have been the Passat wagon or the Touareg, both significant steps up in size and price.
Umm, the writer should have done a little more research, the Jetta Wagon isn't anything new.

The way they've sloped the back, it looks like it will have less cargo room than my '05 Wagon.

vs.

phoenix

TDI
TDI DSG SportWagen 2012
Looks like I can finally get out of my Passat gasser...

Last edited:

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
vwjettadsl said:
140 hp, wonder what kind of MPG its rated to get?
Bump to that!

I'll be happy with 1000KM City on 55L tank!

BUT i did do some reasearch.

The 2.0L Audi TDI is 140HP. According to to audi.co.uk

Fuel consumption

Urban 35.3 mpg Extra urban 58.9 mpg Total 47.1 mpg

Now thats the TDI and not the rumored common rail. Also thos numbers are imperial gallons.

So acording to the nifty tdiclub calculator

35iMPG is 29usMPG or 8L/100KM
or
58.0iMPG is 49usMPG or 4.8L/100KM
or
47.1iMPG 39.2usMPG or 6L/100KM

These number are from an Audi A4 so the Jetta Wagon should get better numbers.

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
How is it possible that I saw a new style Jetta wagon today? Are these out already in limited production, non-diesel here in the US or something? I triple checked it was not a Passat.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
deezulmark said:
Who needs 'mini' if you can have the real thing. A shame they never sold the 2.5l TDI Eurovan in the US.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:VW_Eurovan_T5_Multivan.jpg
It still gets a fuel economy in the high 30s and you have space for 7. The payload is a metric ton and you can tow a good size boat or RV with it (here goes the last excuse to drive an SUV).

And I bet this thing would sell here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VW_Sharan.jpg

Last edited:

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
10then34 said:
Who needs 'mini' if you can have the real thing. A shame they never sold the 2.5l TDI Eurovan in the US.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:VW_Eurovan_T5_Multivan.jpg
It still gets a fuel economy in the high 30s and you have space for 7.
I flogged the one in the picture below around Ireland for a week back in 2004 on a church youth trip. It was a Europcar rental with 9 passenger seating. Three adults in the front and six kids in the back with the area behind the third row seat full of luggage. I never put any fuel in it and turned it back in at the end of the week with a quarter tank remaining. I wish I had checked to see how many miles I put on it, but I had a plane to catch.

IMO, nothing currently offered in the States can touch it...:cool:

BanzaiRider

TDI
None yet
That's an interesting photo. It is my main concern right now! I'm waiting for the new wagon to change my CRV but I'm really afraid it will endup having less cargo then the current wagon because of the sloped back. Would have been really nice if some of the mags would have taken good measurements, the new one really looks lower, might be as long and large but if it's lower inside then it limits the possibilities to load big items.

Anyone who saw the new one at the car shows taken measurements?

jimnms said:
The way they've sloped the back, it looks like it will have less cargo room than my '05 Wagon.

vs.