I cleaning my EGR today on my Passat. (pics)

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I cleaning my EGR today on my Passat. Take a look at the before and after. 40K miles. Anyone ever cleaned the entire intake on the Passat? And, oh yes I’ll be getting the Provent for the Passat.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Removing the EGR is actually very easy. Just remove the airbox and you can get to the EGR. The difficult / dirty part is cleaning it. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to scrape the buildup off then used carb cleaner and a hard bristle tooth brush.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Wow, only 40K! Man that's looks worse than my intake did two weeks ago!!!

I'd recommend a good look at your intake...might be time to fire up the BBQ!

I found that cooking mine on a BBQ did the trick nicely. I finished it off with a propane torch and some steel wool.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
Were there any noticed symptoms that indicated such a restricted EGR? Could you please comment on the amount of City/Highway driving your car has seen, and also your driving style? From what I have read, people make a correlation between driving style and rate of build up.

Thanks for your pictures and comments.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought this 05 used from a dealership and unfortunately don’t know its history. Probably a bad move on my part but the car was clean and I really like the B5.5. I have noticed a power gain, but it can also be contributed to cleaning the dirty snow screen and replacing the dirty filter and I did change the oil (505.01). I still have a small hesitation issue and will bring it into the dealer for a flash this week.

rparnel1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold -- '05 Passat. 2014 BMW 328D
That's about what mine looked like at 49k miles. Amazing!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
We've seen build-ups like this on other PD cars at half the mileage! Let's hope ULSD brings some long-term relief.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Up here we had real rot gut diesel (1,000 ppm sulfur allowed, though I don't know if was actauly that bad).

I have at it when I get a nice weekend. I expect it will be pretty bad. Then will see how the ULSD is doing in another 20k.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
WOW! That is what mine must look like :eek: .

At the GTG here(next week), one of the primary jobs will be EGR cleaning!
So, come all to this GTG!
Pagosa GTG in the Mountain/Southwest GTG's.

Mine is a B4, a little tougher to take out the EGR tube :( and with 279K miles... it must be clogged up :rolleyes: .

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite
hey Bikeprof, I was in your lovely little town at Christmas and I loved it, are there a lot of TDIs there?, I did see one or 2, if i wasn't hitched I would be back there in a flash...

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
About like mine at 30K miles. You'd think they'd set a code and a CEL. They certainly don't operate in that condition.

I plan to clean mine every 10-15K miles, I'd like to find a spare, like I did for my 6.0L PSD, so I can just swap the clean one and clean up the spare at my leisure.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Hmm, I like that as an idea. Probably too costly, but if you fine a wrecked TDI alone the road and no one around? Keep you allan wrenches with you just in case!

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
My Passat has 47,804 miles on it and I check the egr every 15k, tho I've never cleaned it yet. And i think that b/c I've removed a couple elec. connection and instaled an elephant hose( into a catch can), I only show traces of soot on the egr valve. I did the dis-connect and hose at 5k miles, and there is NO new soot on the egr valve as of this date.

I can't for the life of me justify spending 26 grand for a car and knowingly let sand like particales enter into the engine and past the piston rings when I can avoid it and extend the life of my engine. That why I bought a TDI. If I wanted to change cars every 100k miles, I'd bought a Chevy or HYndia or some such other for half the price and a warrenty for 100k miles.

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
kotflb said:
My Passat has 47,804 miles on it and I check the egr every 15k, tho I've never cleaned it yet. And i think that b/c I've removed a couple elec. connection and instaled an elephant hose( into a catch can), I only show traces of soot on the egr valve.
Which elect connections did you disconnect? Did that cause a CEL?
I did the elephant hose/catch can too, I think this is a good move. The only bad thing is the smoke that comes out from under the hood at times, I wish I could direct it under the car somehow.

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
Sorry for the long delay, I'm an OTR trucker and don't get home every week.

There are two connectors going to the egr housing, just unplug those and that will stop the egr from working. And yes you will get a cel. A little elec. tape over the cel solves that problem. i also hook a ScanGauge every 15k mles to make sure I don't have any new codes. So far, I have none.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
kotflb said:
Sorry for the long delay, I'm an OTR trucker and don't get home every week.

There are two connectors going to the egr housing, just unplug those and that will stop the egr from working. And yes you will get a cel. A little elec. tape over the cel solves that problem. i also hook a ScanGauge every 15k mles to make sure I don't have any new codes. So far, I have none.
I bet you're going to love the 15 minute idle timers coming on the new OTR trucks. :rolleyes:

kotflb

TDI
Passat 05 Black GLS
(quote) I bet you're going to love the 15 minute idle timers coming on the new OTR trucks.

Actually, I have had a 2 cylinder powerplant which cools and heats the cab and sleeper on my truck since '01. As far as the '07 trucks with all the EGR junk on them, I wouldn't buy one. I'll just keep rebuilding my ole '99 Mack.