www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:13   #12916
CrazyWJ242
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 11-40 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
I mean props to them for sticking it out... but really who is going to travel that distance in that long of a time...

they say 14 hours of driving per day to travel 1626 miles... thats a rough average of them traveling at 38mph... thats based on a full 42 hours of driving, im sure the speed was higher, but not by much...

traveling with 120lbs of luggage, more like to balance out the aerodynamics of the car

CrazyWJ242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:46   #12917
Masonjar
Veteran Member

Washed the Wagon. Started a headlight restoration on the Golf, but 11 year old plastic does not shine up too good...

Andrew
Old May 12th, 2012, 13:46   #12918
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Took out my broken glovebox, in preparation for a new one that is in the mail. Rerouted my aux and USB audio connectors through the audio sleeve. Reconditioned the front (leather) seats.

Now I have a back seat full of random trim pieces:

Last edited by shadowhand; May 12th, 2012 at 14:07. Reason: pix
shadowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 16:34   #12919
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Tried to do a timing belt, had some really interesting findings.

see this thread for more info. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=23
'03 Wagon, 5spd, 17/22 turbo, RC4, Sprint 520s, Stage 1 clutch, Old Man Intake, Lift Pump, TT Short Shifter, EGR Cooler Deleted, Koni Reds, Neuspeed Upper Tie Bar, Euro Tailights, A FIVE BRAKE LIGHT MODDDD!, Aspherical Mirrors, DG skidplate, Ecodes, Phatbox, Cupholder Console, Thule Roof Basket, 800 Mile/tank club, Secret Ingredient
'64 Ford Econoline Travel Wagon, 170ci straight six, 3 spd, 17mpgs "If it's got a hood, it ain't no good!"

MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 19:27   #12920
No More Buffalo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see sig

Took my first step down the pathway to insanity...ordered OEM Euro-spec side mirrors from ECS.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:23   #12921
canux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 5.0l/100kms (47 US MPG) in 4 years of ownership

On the 2010 Golf I did the full 60k Kms service (Air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, oil filter and oil). Also lubed the exhaust valve, checked the passenger side inter cooler hose (found only a small amount of water, no oil), and washed the engine bay. Also ordered the OEM steel skid plate and plastic battery box. Oh, and I also topped up the water in the battery.

On the 2005 Passat I did and oil and filter change, air filter, and fuel filter. Note to self: get a set of triple square sockets. Ordered a new engine cover as the various mechanics who have worked on the car over the years were unclear as to how it came off...

Then I discovered that the battery in the mower wasn't charging. Something to troubleshoot another day.
canux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:48   #12922
kiva822
Veteran Member

Washed the sedan. Always turns out nice..

As a side note, my mom is visiting and has a '12 Subaru Outback. I washed it and gave it a little detail. Holy crap. No way I'm buying one of those. What a PITA to wash. It's freaking huge, plastic everywhere, nooks and crannies that bugs get in all over the grill, etc. Bleh.

Otherwise, pretty damn nice car. She gets 30+ on the highway...

Bola: 03 Wagon, RC2
03 Golf: Whitbread/RyanP GTB2056vk • 2.5" Turboback • EJ SMIC • PD150 Intake & Tip • 764's • 11mm • Peloquin w/ 3.14 R&P • Eibach Pro System • 20AE/Audi TT Brakes • VWMikeL Tune

Disclaimer: all advice worth price charged
kiva822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:56   #12923
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva822 View Post
'12 Subaru Outback ... She gets 30+ on the highway...
I can't wait for the current generation of Audi TDIs to start hitting the used car market... 40+ MPG on an AWD car...
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:57   #12924
kiva822
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhand View Post
I can't wait for the current generation of Audi TDIs to start hitting the used car market... 40+ MPG on an AWD car...
which ones are you referring to? the a3 wagon? I thought that was 2wd? the AWD gets 40mpg+?

Bola: 03 Wagon, RC2
03 Golf: Whitbread/RyanP GTB2056vk • 2.5" Turboback • EJ SMIC • PD150 Intake & Tip • 764's • 11mm • Peloquin w/ 3.14 R&P • Eibach Pro System • 20AE/Audi TT Brakes • VWMikeL Tune

Disclaimer: all advice worth price charged
kiva822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 15:16   #12925
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva822 View Post
which ones are you referring to? the a3 wagon? I thought that was 2wd? the AWD gets 40mpg+?
Damn, should have done my research... I thought the A3 TDI was being offered with an AWD option, but it appears not.
Old May 13th, 2012, 15:16   #12926
CrazyWJ242
Veteran Member

I weather decided to co-operate and i was able to repair some rust on my driver side rear door...

looks were deciving, a small hole above the trim was actually 2 large holes, no metal in the metal, cut out all the rust and sanded down to bare metal

Photo of the Bondo body patch installed (2 layers of patch, one inside the door, one occuping the void of the missing skin)

all Bondo'd up... now to sand nice and smooth prime and paint... should look considerably better than before...

thats what i've been up to today...

Old May 14th, 2012, 08:50   #12927
shadowhand
Veteran Member

Got my KII-USB in the mail today. Fired up VCDS, reset EGR and IQ to default, cleared codes. Will be turning the EGR back down and working on getting the IQ back up, just glad that the black smoke (and CEL) has gone away...

Last edited by shadowhand; May 14th, 2012 at 08:51. Reason: yup
shadowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:55   #12928
CrazyWJ242
Veteran Member

Close to painting it BLAAAAAAAACK!

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:03   #12929
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Wow, helleva deal on Cottonelle!
'03 Wagon, 5spd, 17/22 turbo, RC4, Sprint 520s, Stage 1 clutch, Old Man Intake, Lift Pump, TT Short Shifter, EGR Cooler Deleted, Koni Reds, Neuspeed Upper Tie Bar, Euro Tailights, A FIVE BRAKE LIGHT MODDDD!, Aspherical Mirrors, DG skidplate, Ecodes, Phatbox, Cupholder Console, Thule Roof Basket, 800 Mile/tank club, Secret Ingredient
'64 Ford Econoline Travel Wagon, 170ci straight six, 3 spd, 17mpgs "If it's got a hood, it ain't no good!"

MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:40   #12930
billfinch

Default Turbo Trials and Tribulation - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfinch View Post
Today's mods:

1. Removed EGR cooler to EGR line and installed Dieselgeek supplied blank off plates, de-gunked EGR and first 4 inches of intake manifold.

2. Installed Dieselgeek Sigma Short-shifter in place of worn stock unit.

3. Replaced exhaust downpipe and Cat assembly and narrowed my turbo whine down to the turbo itself, no intake or exhaust leaks.. @#&#&$%^!~!!!!!!!

Didn't need to discover that I now have to buy a replacement turbo too! Anybody got a VNT-15 or VNT-17 to sell?
Follow up:

Thursday: Removed and cleaned intake manifold, replaced turbo and exhaust manifold with new Borg-Warner VNT-15 unit from Paul at KermaTDI (also replaced oil line with braided flex). Found a crack in the oil filter assembly at the turbo oil line fitting, which probably resulted in the original turbo going bad, so fast forward to........

Monday: replaced the oil filter assembly, buttoned everything up, put in fresh G-12 and Pentosin 5W-40 full synthectic, and warmed it up.

Today: Enjoyed the sweet sound of no turbo whine of death, and more power than I have had in 3-4 years now that the intake manifold is cured of it's COPD!

Future: EGR Cooler Delete and a trip to Jeff's shop at RocketChip (20 minutes from my house!) to get an EGR tweak and Stage II tuning...
billfinch is offline   Reply With Quote