www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 4th, 2011, 12:58   #10381
Frequent Flyer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg 40 in the city

Just got my car back from AlphaSeinor. Had a Six-Speed swap performed and installed a new SouthBend stage 3 Clutch kit with single mass flywheel, and threw in a Sigma-6 short shift kit. I LOVE IT!!!! I can cruise I-30 back and forth at my usual 80mph, but now at 2200 rpms instead of 3000.

AlphaSeinor did a fantastic job and at a great price, too.
Frequent Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 14:09   #10382
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Getting my windshield replaced today.

Some punk kid in my apartment complex decided to lob something onto my windshield.

Thankfully insurance will cover it (with the exception of my $100 deductible).

Thankfully again, is that I just got my $100 bonus from helping with our inventory at work.

It's like the $100 was never meant to be mine.
Old May 4th, 2011, 15:50   #10383
TDikook
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~44+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post

...and the rear bumper too. Haven't routed my exhaust on the Passenger side of the car yet.

Now all I need are some grille covers!
Oh soo nice. I want an R32 front BADLY. where'd ya get it and how much?
Old May 4th, 2011, 16:10   #10384
OnePutt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highway - 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDikook View Post
Oh soo nice. I want an R32 front BADLY. where'd ya get it and how much?
I found them on a local craigslist ad here in the bay area. $800 for both bumpers. Both were brand new (so no paint), OEM, US spec.

I could have probably saved a little money buying used ones, but everything I saw was cracked/dented/scratched/etc. Fixable...but cost goes up when the a shop has to sand and repair before painting.

I'd been trolling around here, Craigslist and vwvortex for months before I came across this.

I'm super happy with look. Now I need to figure out a place for the front License plate. I don't want to drill any holes. Magnets maybe? I don't know...

Best of luck finding what you want.
Waiting for me in the garage/on the way - LOTS of goodies
OnePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 16:26   #10385
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Quote:
Magnets maybe?
Interested to see how that works if you try it!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rare-earth-magnets/=c5wmqv
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 16:42   #10386
OnePutt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Highway - 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Interested to see how that works if you try it!
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rare-earth-magnets/=c5wmqv
Yeah...I actually have the earth magnets. They ARE strong, I will say that.

I'll re-post after I do the job. I'll tether the license plate to the car for the initial test drive after I put it on in case the magnets don't hold. That way I don't have to explain to my insurance company how my license plate cracked the windshield of the person driving behind me.
Waiting for me in the garage/on the way - LOTS of goodies
OnePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 17:14   #10387
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
Just got my car back from AlphaSeinor. Had a Six-Speed swap performed and installed a new SouthBend stage 3 Clutch kit with single mass flywheel, and threw in a Sigma-6 short shift kit. I LOVE IT!!!! I can cruise I-30 back and forth at my usual 80mph, but now at 2200 rpms instead of 3000.

AlphaSeinor did a fantastic job and at a great price, too.
Welcome to the club Derek

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 17:57   #10388
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG mixed @75MPH

Quote:
I found them on a local craigslist ad here in the bay area. $800 for both bumpers. Both were brand new (so no paint), OEM, US spec.

I could have probably saved a little money buying used ones, but everything I saw was cracked/dented/scratched/etc. Fixable...but cost goes up when the a shop has to sand and repair before painting.

I'd been trolling around here, Craigslist and vwvortex for months before I came across this.

I'm super happy with look. Now I need to figure out a place for the front License plate. I don't want to drill any holes. Magnets maybe? I don't know...

Best of luck finding what you want.

Now you need to get a dual exit exhaust mocked up to make the rear match up =)

I'm glad you got both since that front end is HUGE without a HUGE rear end.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 20:48   #10389
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Now you need to get a dual exit exhaust mocked up to make the rear match up =)

I'm glad you got both since that front end is HUGE without a HUGE rear end.
IMO, the R32 rear is a little goddy. I'd install one if I had one, but going through the hassle to make a functional dual exhaust is a PITA for something that isn't even a big visual upgrade IMO of course. Now the front, well, the mkiv r32 front is just pure vw sex lol.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 21:02   #10390
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Finished putting in a Pioneer double din AVI 4300DVD touch screen head unit in HER (daughter's) 2005 Passat TDI. Also wired in an Infinity 10" Basslink unit in the trunk. I guess my daughter will never grow up (music lover).

I hate working under dashboards.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 22:18   #10391
tothemax
Veteran Member

Quote:
...I'm super happy with look.
You bumper looks AWESOME!!!

If you really want a front license plate, consider to buy one of these R32 tow hook license plate holder

It bolts right into the tow hook spot. You just make a little hole in the grill for it co come out of. Remember.. those are reverse threads...

Last edited by tothemax; May 6th, 2011 at 13:02.
tothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 22:32   #10392
boertje
Veteran Member

Just drove the Jetta today from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Billings MT with the cruise set to 80. Got 49.16mpg!
Auto to 5/6 spd manual swap with wiring instructions for MKIV. Click here.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 22:42   #10393
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax View Post
You bumper looks AWESOME!!!

If you rally want a front license plate, consider to buy one of these R32 tow hook license plate holder

It bolts right into the tow hook spot. You just make a little hold in the grill for it co come out of. Remember.. those are reverse threads...
I so need one of these.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 23:44   #10394
blizzard60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax View Post
If you rally want a front license plate, consider to buy one of these R32 tow hook license plate holder

It bolts right into the tow hook spot. You just make a little hold in the grill for it co come out of. Remember.. those are reverse threads...
I don't know if it just that the p'shopping of those plates makes them stand out more in those pics, but IMHO they all look WORSE then just having the plate in the proper place!!! Believe me, I think front plates are STUPID, but those offset ones just make the plate even that much more of an eyesore. Just my $0.02 though !!
blizzard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 17:48   #10395
Deebeaux

Fuel Economy: 51,47,40

Well, tried to do the all auto windows mod. Got it like 90% working, but something went horribly wrong with the membrane portion of the switch. The soldering electronic part works 100%, but once you assemble the switch, oddball crap starts happening. Gave up, combed forums and eBay, picked up a couple more windows switches to try to do it right this time. So far, this is a beating.

ScanGauge came back from being upgraded, so started mounting it above the rear view mirror and starting the wiring for the W8 panel (which is on backorder at ECS) and the RADAR detector.

Going to work on the heated seat switch mod...