www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old January 28th, 2009, 18:24   #3826
Bora-chiara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: First winter, low 40's, regular mid-upper 40's, Highway 54MPG STOCK

K i think that will be a this summer project for sure. i will have to go back and re-read all the details you gave on it, but I think it would definately be worth the investment. Again, Mini-Mercedes. Gotta compete with the girlfriend's 78 MB TD....granted at that age, and that motor you could hear it from a mile away though!
Bora-chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 22:00   #3827
kgirlbug2k
Veteran Member

Husband called at 10 pm, he remembered he has to stay in Williamsburg Va tomorrow to meet with his advisor (working on his PhD)...so unless Felix decides to start tomorrow, I'll be driving down after work so we can go to Punxsutawney for our anniversary this weekend. (Yes, we got married on Groundhog Day, in front of a 30 foot fake stump...)

Oh and Williamsburg Va, is five hours one way for me...I lucked out tonight that I got to leave work at 1130 pm, and I don't think they will keep me until 1:30 am tomorrow.
Ollie had Felix towed to the dealer...but I am wondering, would anyone like to be the 'emergency mechanic' near Williamsburg Va for this car? Felix is ten, and is an electrical nightmare that leaves him stranded pretty often.

kgirlbug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 22:45   #3828
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

Delvi: Yes, you can upgrade this turbo but to what 4 MPG?

Stay away from a bigger turbo and injectors, just get a programer and a different final gearing(I like the 13SPD, more accurate in RPM's at higher speeds !).

I believe NICK @ STREET TOYS was programing big trucks.

CATS are known for having lots of power but no mileage(MPG) and another 50 HP will eat up .3 gallons more...
My series 60 made me ~ 7.8 MPG loaded(flatbed), with 16.750 lbs empty/ ~76.500 loaded

Last edited by bikeprof; February 7th, 2009 at 22:30.
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 23:11   #3829
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Tell me more about this heater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI_Votex
Here's the pictures of VW coolant heater installed.

New design

In a Golf 2000 without A/C - easy access

In a Beetle 99 with A/C

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:44   #3830
delvi__acevedo
Mod'aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof
Delvi: Yes, you can upgrade this turbo but to what 4 PG?

Stay away from a bigger turbo and injectors, just get a programer and a different final gearing(I like the 13SPD, more accurate in RPM's at higher speeds !).

I believe NICK @ STREET TOYS was programing big trucks.

CATS are known for having lots of power but no mileage(MPG) and another 50 HP will eat up .3 gallons more...
My series 60 made me ~ 7.8 MPG loaded(flatbed), with 16.750 lbs empty/ ~76.500 loaded
I love the detroit S 60 but they are hard to find on the T600 and often when they do have it the had super 10 transmissions.

I was told to stay away from the twin turbo version they have some issues.

As far as the program is open all the way to 500hp and that plus the 3.55 rears realy make the speedometer not large enough for this combo

Last edited by delvi__acevedo; January 29th, 2009 at 07:18.
delvi__acevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:53   #3831
kromicacid
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDikook
finished my sound deadener install. Whew what a job. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237655

definately worth it. I also went into some detail about some of the trim pieces as I couldn't find any help when I searched for it. I still broke a bunch of clips though. hope it helps the next sucker that does this kinda job.
I started to quite coat my doors, got the passenger side done last night with 2 coats. With it being 30* outside, i had to pull out the 2 - 500 watt construction lights to dry it quicker.

I tried to get the backseat (bench) out and what a PITA. I think its going to have to be a 'complete' removal of everything on the interior this spring/summer when i can ride my bike to work and not have to worry about putting the car back together. The bench alone wasted about 45 mins of trying to get it out with no avail. The way the seatbelt clip (think of the clicky part) is through a hole in the seat which is cut most perfectly for the size of the seatbelt clips... So i gave up, and focused on the doors. this weekend after i cange the oil in my GFs car i will do the driver side.
~ 2004 Jetta TDI GLS~ Platinum Grey ~ 110k miles
kromicacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:31   #3832
TDI_Votex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/6.5/9.0 L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
Tell me more about this heater!
This is the one VW dealers have in stock up here in cold Canada. Same principle as the Frostheater/Zerostart, but less power (550 Watts). It still does a good work. After 3 hours of operation, the coolant needle is up to the first mark, and you can feel heat ,even at -30C. Is is also installed in one of the oil cooler hose, but in the other one than the Zerostart.

More expensive also ($160 Can), but way smaller. This is the main reason I chose this one, as I had to fit it under the hood of a NB with A/C.

The kit include a 90 degre small hose and clip that goes between the oil cooler and the heater to get everything in place without any rubbing. The black base where the connector is can swivel depending to where you want to get the power cable.
96 Golf GL 1.9TD(04-08) RIP Hail Storm
99 NB TDI(06-??)
00 Golf TDI(08-??)
06 NB TDI(08-??)
Volks for life!!!
TDI_Votex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 14:43   #3833
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Default The Golf Came Home Today

As you may recall, this is what my track day Golf looked like after my mishap in Ontario last June.

And it came home today, looking like this.

Everyone at Madison Park High School in Boston did a great job. They ended up repairing the right side frame rail, replacing the inner and outer fender, hood, grille, bumper brace and cover, airbox, windshield, etc. They painted most of the car, probably the right side and the hatch were the only parts not painted. The match looks perfect. There was no rust around the windshield, surprisingly.

Now for the fun stuff--engine mods, suspension, interior, and so on. We'll be ready for Spring.
Old January 29th, 2009, 14:55   #3834
TDikook
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~44+

Whooo Hooo Ibw!!!
Old January 29th, 2009, 16:31   #3835
TDiVeeDub
Veteran Member

Installed yellow high beam bulbs....

If I had $3K I would have a lot more to post...
TDiVeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 16:35   #3836
TDI_Votex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/6.5/9.0 L/100km

Today,I received this. Rear fog lens. It is going on the NB06 as soon as the weather gets warmer.
96 Golf GL 1.9TD(04-08) RIP Hail Storm
99 NB TDI(06-??)
00 Golf TDI(08-??)
06 NB TDI(08-??)
Volks for life!!!
TDI_Votex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 17:05   #3837
KROUT
persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
As you may recall, this is what my track day Golf looked like after my mishap in Ontario last June.

And it came home today, looking like this.

Everyone at Madison Park High School in Boston did a great job. They ended up repairing the right side frame rail, replacing the inner and outer fender, hood, grille, bumper brace and cover, airbox, windshield, etc. They painted most of the car, probably the right side and the hatch were the only parts not painted. The match looks perfect. There was no rust around the windshield, surprisingly.

Now for the fun stuff--engine mods, suspension, interior, and so on. We'll be ready for Spring.
Too bad I did not have my parts car then Its a red 2 door golf. lol
KROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 23:31   #3838
zane23

TDI(s): jetta
Fuel Economy: 51.78 highway 70+mph thru mountains 400+ mile trip

today I painted my front grill, (matte black) Looks GREAT! and replaced my oil pan, a slight pain to get to the two bolts beside the tranny but with a good (swivel allen wrench) it was easy. looks good also compared to my old leaky one, next hopefully get me a skid plate cause i dont want to have to replace the new oil pan. I'll fill the car with oil in the mornin and let er' run for a while, check for leaks and she'll be road worthy again lol
Old January 31st, 2009, 00:37   #3839
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Peter- the shop stole your side marker lights in the bumper :-P

Today I learned some more things I hate about TDI's:
1) Swapping thermocouples that are in the side of the manifold on a PD without removing anything else(PD's just take up more room than ALH's.)
2) Removing clusters. I swear someone stole a couple inches from my cluster connector wires. Those guys are TIGHT!

Learned one thing I love about my TDI: My new Doniol OLED boost/EGT gauge that's installed in the cluster. I'll try to get some pics of video clips up this weekend hopefully. It's very nice to have a peak boost and peak EGT function all wrapped up in an "OEM-Esque" package.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:49   #3840
delvi__acevedo
Mod'aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
Peter- the shop stole your side marker lights in the bumper :-P

Today I learned some more things I hate about TDI's:
1) Swapping thermocouples that are in the side of the manifold on a PD without removing anything else(PD's just take up more room than ALH's.)
2) Removing clusters. I swear someone stole a couple inches from my cluster connector wires. Those guys are TIGHT!

Learned one thing I love about my TDI: My new Doniol OLED boost/EGT gauge that's installed in the cluster. I'll try to get some pics of video clips up this weekend hopefully. It's very nice to have a peak boost and peak EGT function all wrapped up in an "OEM-Esque" package.
nice Phill, send me some pictures of the boost/egt gauge.