www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:12   #1
wetskier2000
Veteran Member

Default Jeep swap??

Anyone done a TDI swap into an open Jeep? Were there adapters available to 80-90ish tranmissions like AX15s?

Seems like it might be a good match...
wetskier2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:32   #2
Dieseltoys

we have
Old March 19th, 2007, 13:33   #3
wetskier2000
Veteran Member

Default Adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmeat
we have
Got adapters?
Old March 19th, 2007, 14:01   #4
CoriolisSTORM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

I sent him a PM about a month ago about his jeep kits and haven't gotten a response back yet. Maybe you will have better luck.
Old March 19th, 2007, 16:12   #5
Dieseltoys

Yeah, sorry about that Coriolis...We dont really sell kits but conversions. The TDI is a great platform to use in this chassis. We have worked with the NV4500 some and the AX15. If you're looking to get a kit or an adapter, there's tons of info on the net that should help you in your search. If you're looking to get it done, give us a call. -Todd
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:13   #6
wetskier2000
Veteran Member

Yeah Meat, This would definately be a DIY project... My paying someone to do this would be way out of the question.... thanks!

Anyone care to speculate on what a crasher TDI that still runs might sell for?
Old March 20th, 2007, 17:40   #7
CoriolisSTORM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmeat
Yeah, sorry about that Coriolis...We dont really sell kits but conversions. The TDI is a great platform to use in this chassis. We have worked with the NV4500 some and the AX15. If you're looking to get a kit or an adapter, there's tons of info on the net that should help you in your search. If you're looking to get it done, give us a call. -Todd
Unfortunately I dont have either the NV 4500 or AX 15. I'm stuck with a miserable little AX5. Thanks for the info. You guys mostly build 'em (the whole vehicle that is) and sell them? I think that's what I'm gathering from your post. Not a bad idea at all. Any chance I could get ya to do it to my Caliber?
Old March 20th, 2007, 21:37   #8
Dieseltoys

Customers send us their vehicles and get them back exactly how they want them. We dont actually sell vehicles though. If you're interested in getting something done, then give us a call. -Todd
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:42   #9
Jeffmx5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+/45/35 mpg

Yeah - I have been thinking of the same idea for an XJ (Cherokee). So far it is just a pipe dream but the thought is to put an ALH motor from a 99.5 to 2003 jet/golf into a 97+ XJ that came as a 4x4 w/ the AX15 tranny.

I am a hang glider pilot so I am thinking of this as a glider transport rig. It needs to be able to travel at highway speeds for hours to get to the mountain and then it needs 4WD low to climb the 1000 to 2000 verticle feet on trails up the mountain. It can't be a true rock crawler due to the need for highway travel but 4WD low and ground clearance is critical.

The XJ weighs the same as a jet/golf so the performance should be similar and for $600 (nozzels and chip) the torque can be made the same or better than the original I6 that got swapped out. I suspect the 1.9 is actually lighter than the 4.0L that it would be replacing.

The Cummings B3.3T in a YJ is what made me think the ALH in an XJ was a reasonable solution.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/curtje/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148741&highlight=Jeep
Jeffmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:19   #10
TDIwise

If you are interested in a Cummins B3.3T in a jeep you might find some useful info in my thread here:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=112807
TDIwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:24   #11
Spulen81
Veteran Member

One route to expore would be swapping on a Toyota bellhousing onto the Jeep trans and using a ACME VW/Toyota adapter. This makes the clutch setup easy (all toyota), gives you a nice gear reduction (toyota) starter and gives you a way to join the engine and trans. You have to fabricate everything else.

The AX-5 and AX-15 are both Aisin transmissions and have close equivalents in the G/W series or the R series.

This link will be very helpful.
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/tech-ar...lhousings.html
-2011 Golf TDI
Spulen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 18:37   #12
Todd J. Roach

Default TDI in Willys Jeep

Here's my latest brain storm. Since my Willys CJ is about the same size as a Suzuki Samurai, I though about using a Samurai transmission and transfer case then purchasing one of the conversion kits to fit the TDI ( I'm thinking the Axis kit ). Any thoughts how this would work?
I can still use my Dana axles. Anyone ever done this? Thanks Todd
Todd J. Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 18:41   #13
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd J. Roach
Here's my latest brain storm. Since my Willys CJ is about the same size as a Suzuki Samurai, I though about using a Samurai transmission and transfer case then purchasing one of the conversion kits to fit the TDI ( I'm thinking the Axis kit ). Any thoughts how this would work?
I can still use my Dana axles. Anyone ever done this? Thanks Todd
I think that would work quite well but you need to look into your gear ratios- I'm pretty sure your willys is going to have very short gearing to make up for the 4banger that came in it.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 19:03   #14
Spulen81
Veteran Member

The drivetrain probably won't hold up too well behind a TDI or TD even. ACME started making the Toyota trans adapters for this very reason. You could use a toyota trans and case which is a big upgrade.
-2011 Golf TDI
Spulen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:16   #15
Todd J. Roach

My gear ratios are 373 to 1 so I dont think that would be a problem. I heard the Toyota transfer case front shaft comes out on the wrong side for a Dana 30 front axle. Anybody know if this is true? Thanks Todd
Todd J. Roach is offline   Reply With Quote