Jeep swap??

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Anyone done a TDI swap into an open Jeep? Were there adapters available to 80-90ish tranmissions like AX15s?

Seems like it might be a good match...

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
Yeah, sorry about that Coriolis...We dont really sell kits but conversions. The TDI is a great platform to use in this chassis. We have worked with the NV4500 some and the AX15. If you're looking to get a kit or an adapter, there's tons of info on the net that should help you in your search. If you're looking to get it done, give us a call. -Todd

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Yeah Meat, This would definately be a DIY project... My paying someone to do this would be way out of the question.... thanks!

Anyone care to speculate on what a crasher TDI that still runs might sell for?

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
texasmeat said:
Yeah, sorry about that Coriolis...We dont really sell kits but conversions. The TDI is a great platform to use in this chassis. We have worked with the NV4500 some and the AX15. If you're looking to get a kit or an adapter, there's tons of info on the net that should help you in your search. If you're looking to get it done, give us a call. -Todd
Unfortunately I dont have either the NV 4500 or AX 15. I'm stuck with a miserable little AX5. :mad: Thanks for the info. You guys mostly build 'em (the whole vehicle that is) and sell them? I think that's what I'm gathering from your post. Not a bad idea at all. Any chance I could get ya to do it to my Caliber? :D

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
Customers send us their vehicles and get them back exactly how they want them. We dont actually sell vehicles though. If you're interested in getting something done, then give us a call. -Todd

Jeffmx5

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Red / New Beetle, 2000, Red
Yeah - I have been thinking of the same idea for an XJ (Cherokee). So far it is just a pipe dream but the thought is to put an ALH motor from a 99.5 to 2003 jet/golf into a 97+ XJ that came as a 4x4 w/ the AX15 tranny.

I am a hang glider pilot so I am thinking of this as a glider transport rig. It needs to be able to travel at highway speeds for hours to get to the mountain and then it needs 4WD low to climb the 1000 to 2000 verticle feet on trails up the mountain. It can't be a true rock crawler due to the need for highway travel but 4WD low and ground clearance is critical.

The XJ weighs the same as a jet/golf so the performance should be similar and for $600 (nozzels and chip) the torque can be made the same or better than the original I6 that got swapped out. I suspect the 1.9 is actually lighter than the 4.0L that it would be replacing.

The Cummings B3.3T in a YJ is what made me think the ALH in an XJ was a reasonable solution.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148741&highlight=Jeep

Spulen81

Veteran Member
One route to expore would be swapping on a Toyota bellhousing onto the Jeep trans and using a ACME VW/Toyota adapter. This makes the clutch setup easy (all toyota), gives you a nice gear reduction (toyota) starter and gives you a way to join the engine and trans. You have to fabricate everything else.

The AX-5 and AX-15 are both Aisin transmissions and have close equivalents in the G/W series or the R series.

This link will be very helpful.
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/tech-articles/4740-engine-swap-bellhousings.html

Todd J. Roach

TDI
None just starting to look
TDI in Willys Jeep

Here's my latest brain storm. Since my Willys CJ is about the same size as a Suzuki Samurai, I though about using a Samurai transmission and transfer case then purchasing one of the conversion kits to fit the TDI ( I'm thinking the Axis kit ). Any thoughts how this would work?
I can still use my Dana axles. Anyone ever done this? Thanks Todd

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Todd J. Roach said:
Here's my latest brain storm. Since my Willys CJ is about the same size as a Suzuki Samurai, I though about using a Samurai transmission and transfer case then purchasing one of the conversion kits to fit the TDI ( I'm thinking the Axis kit ). Any thoughts how this would work?
I can still use my Dana axles. Anyone ever done this? Thanks Todd
I think that would work quite well but you need to look into your gear ratios- I'm pretty sure your willys is going to have very short gearing to make up for the 4banger that came in it.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The drivetrain probably won't hold up too well behind a TDI or TD even. ACME started making the Toyota trans adapters for this very reason. You could use a toyota trans and case which is a big upgrade.

Todd J. Roach

TDI
My gear ratios are 373 to 1 so I dont think that would be a problem. I heard the Toyota transfer case front shaft comes out on the wrong side for a Dana 30 front axle. Anybody know if this is true? Thanks Todd

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Older Toyotas are passenger side drop. Newer Tacomas, etc have a drivers side drop so you can use that stuff if you have a drivers side input axle. Or swap do a better front axles with passenger side drop.

mcinfantry

TDI
2005 Passat TDI unchained
my passat, e350 van, above dodge and wifes liberty is diesel. i have a 20kw kubota genset & 400 gallon tank to power it all......

i guess i like diesel.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
use the ax-15 with dodge dakota v6 bellhousing, use an industrial cummins engine, and get the sae to small-block chrysler adapters...

the 3.9 cummins is way too heavy, use the 3.3 or the a-series (but be sure the a-series is turbo, there are also idi and tdi versions)

I have this setup with an a-series cummins... still in buildup though. 95 wrangler as well

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
the 3.9 weighs like 150 lbs. more than a small block chevy... for a decent comparison...

i think the 3.3 weighs about the same as a small block chevy...

and my 2.3 a-series is a little lighter than that...

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
oh yeah yeah, they do work great, no lie. some people don't mind the weight i guess. i use my jeep for rock crawling, and i've found that the less weight is a good thing in my purpose... but yeah, either way, the diesel jeep is an amazing thing... haha

Todd J. Roach

TDI
I've been doing some planning and here's what I've come up with: I have fiberglass body Willys CJ, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rears. I plan on a Toyota 22R 5 speed and a Dana 300 transfercase with a ACME adapter. I'd like to use a TDI or a 1.9 turbo diesel engine. I've never done anything that required a computer controlled engine. The Willys will have power steering and power breaks. My plan is to use this as a driver,I'm not into mud bogs or rock crawling. If anyone can give me some advice, it would be appreciated.

I'm not into this for fuel mileage,I feel the VW diesel is about the perfect diesel for the Willys CJ due to it's light weight and power. Thanks Todd

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I would do a TDI and not a TD. If you use a Toyota trans, use atleast a W series. A 22R is going to have a G series most likely and it probably won't hold up.

I would use a Toyota W59 transmission w/case (w/w56 bellhousing) and skip the Dana 300 and the extra adapter. You won't need the beefyness of it so why add weight and more complexity.

Todd J. Roach

TDI
My Dana 30 pumkin is on the passenger side, so I need a transfercase that exits on that side. If I can get a Toyota combo that does that, I'd use it. I also spoke to ACME adapters. They said the 1.9 turo would be easier to hook up than the TDI. Are ther any web sites for the non TDI 1.9 turbo diesel. Thanks for the imput. Todd

Spulen81

Veteran Member
It would be easier because they are mechanical. If you stick with a 1Z/AHU TDI its no harder to mount/use than a 1.9TD. I good source for 1.9TD info would be vwdiesel.net.