www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:41   #46
dok
Veteran Member

oldpoopie,

Thanks for posting all the pictures, it looks great. I'm curious about part# 1JO 129 607 AK is this for the R32 Air Box. If so, then do I need to order a top to a VR6 Air box(part #) to match w/ my current MAF? I currently have a K&N and don't have the original Air box.

Thanks,

David K.
dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:37   #47
Occams_Razor
Veteran Member

The VR6 Airbox would have a bigger MAF opening. You would need an aircleaner from a TDI to match the size of the TDI MAF, (iirc the 1.8 MAF is smaller).

The tops and the bottoms are not available seperately. It comes as a unit.

The 1J0 129 607 AK is for the complete euro R32 DSG Airbox without the cold weather flap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
oldpoopie,

Thanks for posting all the pictures, it looks great. I'm curious about part# 1JO 129 607 AK is this for the R32 Air Box. If so, then do I need to order a top to a VR6 Air box(part #) to match w/ my current MAF? I currently have a K&N and don't have the original Air box.

Thanks,

David K.
Old March 28th, 2007, 13:05   #48
dok
Veteran Member

Does anyone have the part # for the ALH stock air box. Any other parts needed to go back to stock. I don't have a catalog or diagram of parts.

Thanks in advance,

David K.
Old March 28th, 2007, 13:31   #49
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occams_Razor
The VR6 Airbox would have a bigger MAF opening. You would need an aircleaner from a TDI to match the size of the TDI MAF, (iirc the 1.8 MAF is smaller).

The tops and the bottoms are not available seperately. It comes as a unit.

The 1J0 129 607 AK is for the complete euro R32 DSG Airbox without the cold weather flap.
This is a picture of the 1J0 129 607AK airbox and the intake snorkle

RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 13:43   #50
dok
Veteran Member

So if I went back to stock air box, then ordered R32 Air box, I could use the top of the stock box to join to the bottom of the R32 (1J0 129 607 AK)?
Old March 28th, 2007, 13:51   #51
Justler
Veteran Member

Is there any reason why just changing the intake snorkle to the R32 version then trimming my stock airbox wouldn't achieve the same effect?
Justler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 13:58   #52
dok
Veteran Member

Page #1 second posting by oldpoopie I believe shows a picture of modifying the stock airbox bottom.

Incidently, I answered my question about. The ALH stock airbox part # 1J0 129 607 CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justler
Is there any reason why just changing the intake snorkle to the R32 version then trimming my stock airbox wouldn't achieve the same effect?

Last edited by dok; March 28th, 2007 at 14:13.
Old March 28th, 2007, 15:02   #53
Suns_PSD
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Does this mod apply to the 2005.5 PD motors?

Thanks.
Old March 28th, 2007, 19:00   #54
oldpoopie

As per my experience, all of the mk4 golf/jettas use the same size air filter, and all of the upper and lower airboxes are interchangeable. And yes, you may trim your stock airbox to fit, though you wont have as good a seal.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:28   #55
Suns_PSD
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Just to clarify:

If I order just the following:

Intake snorkel: 1J0 129 609 G
IMPEX SKU # 331954
Special Order European Part
Price: $42.27

I can trim my battery box a bit and cut a larger hole into my stock air box, seal it up, and see an improvement in turbo spool up on a lightly modified (RC1+) PD motor in a 2005.5 Jetta?

Is this all correct?

Also, I guess a MAF is some sort of air flow sensor built into the factory airbox? Is there any advantage to running the larger one?

Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:40   #56
fishmando
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Also, I guess a MAF is some sort of air flow sensor built into the factory airbox? Is there any advantage to running the larger one?
The MAF sensor is (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is just after the air box. You can see the wires going to it. A larger one will flow more but sensor will read wrong unless you get it adjusted with a custom tune. It is not a necessary change with a stock turbo.

Also:
So if I was using the R32 Euro DSG box (top and bottom) and snorkle what would the MAF and accordion tube situation be?

What could I order to have a MAF holder (is a new sensor needed too?) and all the are the same size as the outlet on the R32 air box?

Last edited by fishmando; March 29th, 2007 at 11:43.
fishmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:17   #57
oEo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

Not to add another wrinkle to this (oldpoopie is now shaking his head), but does the part that goes underneath the headlight actually allow more air as well? I'm assuming that is does, otherwise:

1) air enters the front of the car with stock grill opening...

2) connected to the piece that runs under the headlight (is the ID actually bigger? THat piece does look bigger in the 1st photo)

3) R32 snorkle...

4) R32 Air box...

5) Bigger MAF...

Even if the snorkle ID is bigger, is everything in FRONT OF THE SNORKLE bigger as well? Doesn't the opening in the grill HAVE TO BE JUST AS LARGE?

thanks... ... curious... (ALL CAPS-- not shouting!) ... thanks for the photos!

2 0 0 4 I n d i g o B l u e G o l f R C 1 T D I C L U B A D D I C T I O N @ 1 4 9 k R u n n i n g W i t h T 6 U O A

Last edited by oEo; March 29th, 2007 at 12:50.
oEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:19   #58
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
as promised, finally I've taken pics of the trimmed battery box.
here is the view from above. You can see the snorkle along side the box, and kinda how it goes underneath.

here is the same view with the lid removed, more clearly showing the snorkle and how it tucks under the trimmed area slightly.

Here is a shot of the battery box lid. It was late, so my trimming is kinda clumsy, but it shows the area that must be removed.

And here is a shot of the lower box and the snorkle wrapping under and around. The view is from the drivers door looking forward towards the headlight. You can see where the lower box was trimmed as well.

Again, sorry it took so long to get these shots.
I am thinking of getting ahold of a full battery box and tray from a vr6 or 1.8t to see if it will not interfere... I suppose you could also mod the battery box to move it further inboard by about 1/2" to provide clearance.

Justin,

Did you try loosening up the 4-battery tray bolts and sliding everything to the passenger's side?

The interference doesn't seem like it's alot. But you're right about the R32's battery size vs the TDI.

That alone would fix this problem.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 21:53   #59
oldpoopie

I did, unfortunately it wasnt enough. I dont mind trimming, especially when its out of sight, but I know that some do. We know that the optima is a smaller battery than stock and that it is functional in our cars. We should measure it to see if the r32 box will fit the optima or similar battery.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 00:31   #60
delvi__acevedo
Mod'aholic

Default Done!!

I installed the snorkel, the piece under/behind the headlight today and I modified the US spec R32 air box that I had to make the snorkel fit, still have the stock TDI top of the airbox(I will change that soon)

I was able to keep the battery box without trimming

while the bumper was off I also installed the upgraded side mount intercooler

Last edited by delvi__acevedo; March 30th, 2007 at 00:34.
delvi__acevedo is offline   Reply With Quote