www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old March 13th, 2007, 20:16   #1
digger305

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
Default jetta tdi power loss

2001 jetta tdi gls auto
My jetta was running good 120,000 miles when it lost power. I had pressure washed the engine that day. I could get up to 65 mph on the flat but it would slow to 45 in 2nd gear on a hill. The engine run smooth no miss. It showed a check engine lite. Took in into a vw dealer for repair. First told it was an air sensor but they changed it to the turbo waste gate and replaced it or a part that actavates the gate for $450. they test drove it and said it was fine. I drove it 3 miles and it seemed to work fine, then it started to lose power again and lost power as before. Now vw says it's the turbo and want $3000 for repacement. It doesn't sound like a turbo problem to me. Would a turbo have boost and act normal for 3 miles then loose boost? It seems like if the turbo is bad it would be bad all the time. They told me that the bearing could cause this kind of symptom. It sounds more like a fueling problem or a turbo controller. Has anyone had this problem before and what was the cause.
digger305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 22:42   #2
digger305

I hope there is some out their that can help. Don't be shy. I would like not spend this money and fix the problem help?
Old March 14th, 2007, 19:17   #3
moblemaster

Fuel Economy: 50/44/38
Default My experience

I had a sudden loss of power back in Dec 2004 at 110K and the problem
was the T-belt slipped. Besides loss of power it ran rough and would
restart after a tank fillup but once the engine was stone cold it would
not start at all.
I do not know if this is a minor slip but mine was a serious enough slip
that it easy to diagnose.
moblemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 19:22   #4
bam_bam_dip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.3, 700 Club

Where in Cali are you located?

Dealer........new turbo!! Gee, I've never heard of that before.

Hold onto your wallet tightly and run away from the dealer.

My Father's house is a big, big house.
bam_bam_dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 20:41   #5
digger305

Default tdi power loss

The VW dealer is in salinas and I didn't let them at it. I asked if they installed the turbo would the guarantee that this would fix the problem. As for the timing belt the engine runs very smoth just a loss of power like low boost or poor fueling. When I picked it up today it has run like nothing is wrong but that was just at city speeds. After at 5miles on the freeway is when the symptoms begin.
Old March 15th, 2007, 18:04   #6
potatowedge

TDI(s): 2001 jetta

this is really strange, my 2001 jetta just started doing this same thing. Exactly the same symptom. I'd love to hear some ideas here too.

-robb
potatowedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 18:31   #7
bam_bam_dip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.3, 700 Club

Please find someone with vag-com and get it scanned and run some logs. Before you throw parts at something, its nice to know what the problem is.

My Father's house is a big, big house.
bam_bam_dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 19:49   #8
digger305

I don't have any answers yet but I plan on looking it over this weekend for loose wires or air sensor problems. I had just pressure washed the engine berfore this started. If it turns out to be the turbo does anyone know of a good parts source other than the dealer.
Old March 15th, 2007, 21:12   #9
digger305

I think I need to replace the fuel filter but can't find location in the manuel. Can someone point me to it's location.
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:44   #10
redmondjp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 mpg avg

Hi digger,

You have an A4 Jetta, and you'll probably get more responses if you post your questions in that part of this site.

I recommend that you find a TDI expert (even if you have to drive a few hours) before spending any $ at the dealer--they love to throw new turbos in for $$$$, even if not necessary.
'81 Rabbit LS D 130K - sold
'82 Datsun 720 diesel pickup 86K - sold
redmondjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 23:42   #11
akmike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Yes, find a TDI clubber with a vag-com and a lil mechanical knowledge. As mentioned before it's almost a standard scam at the dealership to say it needs a new turbo- nahh they want 3,000 in their till!! I also own a 2001 TDI Jetta auto gls, just got it back from the body shop after almost a year- good body work, but they put green coolant in it!! Guess the two Ferraris, Lambo, Rolls and 3 dozen MBs about were the only ones they actually read the coolant resovoir label and put the right stuff in.... Usu you'll get much better diagnostics with a vag-com and helpful clubber, there is a very good reason dealerships have been nick named "stealerships" round the club, a good one is almost like finding the holy grail....
akmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:14   #12
digger305

Thanks
Old March 18th, 2007, 15:49   #13
FAB

I have just had a similar problem today. I was driving on the motorway at around 80mph when I heard a sudden hissing sound (as if something had popped loose) and the lost all power. The car won't start. Call roadside help. The guy couldn't fix it. He initially suggested that my fuel pump may have gone (the car started when he disconnected the air filter and sprayed into the connector as I turned the ignition) but then changed his mind as he could see the diesel oozing out when loosened the nuts at the end of the fuel leads. Anyways, I had the car towed to my house. His final verdit was that the 'CAT' may have gone but I don't know what he meant by that (EGR?, MAF?).
FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 19:28   #14
Richard55

TDI(s): 2000 NB
Fuel Economy: 52 MPG

digger305
Have you checked the intake, it may be clogged. 120k is about right to be plugged up tight. also check the arm on the egr valve, it may be stuck shut.
RC6, 11 mm IP, 17/22, egr delete, 3 inch exhaust, 2.5" custom lower IC pipe, lift pump, "LurkerMike" custom DP, PP764, MAF deleted, 3 bar MAP, stage 2-14 lbs flywheel and clutch assy. Autometer Colbalt 2 Oil Pressure, Boost and EGT guages. K&N air filter. 18" Motegi wheels. vent and snowectomies. 55 watt HIDs

Last edited by Richard55; March 18th, 2007 at 19:30.
Richard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 14:25   #15
darkerra

Fuel Economy: was 55, now 40
Default Clogged exhaust

I lost all power after 99K miles on my 02 TDI. We checked everything, filters, sensors,turbo, even Timing Belt. Finally, we took the Catalytic Converter off and it was clogged tight. There was only a little hole where exhause was escaping. since PA doesnt do Emission tests on TDI's, I knocked out the unit, and poof, Power was back with little more than a bit of smoke now. I dont know if this will help anyone, but just figured I would toss it out there. Peace
darkerra is offline   Reply With Quote