kerosene as in additive?

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
some friends of mine were telling me a while back about mixing kerosene with their diesel in their tractors during the winter. this was a while back and i forgot why they said they did this. What might be the reason for doing this? can it be used in a TDI?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Thinning of fuel as in "winterizing".

I dunno, kero is a lot more expensive in my area than S15. I'll stick with my dash of PS or whatever when I fill...it's gonna cost a lot less!

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
well i was thinking about this today because there was a f550 in front of me that had a lot of blue smoke coming out of it and it smelled like burning kerosene. Would adding Kerosene make you smoke really bad like i was witnessing?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Back in the day it was used to winterize the fuel to keep it from gelling.

Today's fuel stations SHOULD have properly winterized fuel..but I still recommend using a winterizing additive just in case.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Sometimes up to 50/50. That's for -40 and colder though.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Str9012 said:
Would adding Kerosene make you smoke really bad like i was witnessing?
just how cold was it this morning :confused:

Str9012

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
oh its like 60 outside, but his truck was just puff'n out lots of blue smoke at a red light, and it just smelled a lot like a kerosene lamp or heater

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Str9012 said:
oh its like 60 outside, but his truck was just puff'n out lots of blue smoke at a red light, and it just smelled a lot like a kerosene lamp or heater
Probably not related to the kero...he may have been attempting to burn some other garbage. You hear about these folks recycling their used motor oil via the fuel tank :)

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
They couldn't drive those tractors to the station where is is already blended or winterized, there for the need for mixing the diesel and kerosene. Isn't it nice we don't have to do that?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Most of our cars HAVE burned kerosene. That is the most common winterizing agent for diesel fuel. Most fuel distributors do not use additives like PowerService due to the cost.

Call it kerosene or D1, but it is basically the same thing (actually can be the same thing, as the specs overlap).

No, it will not make your car/truck smoke. That truck you saw was simply not running properly. A diesel will run just fine on kerosene, but it doesn't have the lubrication properties to keep the injection pump and injectors happy. Diesel engines can be made that run fine on pure kerosene, like the motorcycle that is made for the military. It will run on diesel, kero, or jetA. Many old tractors ran on 100% kerosene. I imagine that the injection pump gets its lubrication from engine oil in that type of system.

Last edited: