Traveling to Cold North, Fuel?

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
So I have to go up to Ottowa in a couple of weeks and wonder if the mid-atlantic fuel mix is gell free that far up. I haven't had a problem this year
but with spring coming I wonder if the formulas are adjusted based on average temps (which in New Jersey isn't looking that bad). Should I throw a couple of gallons of #1D in the tank and fill with #2D, or just travel with a new filter, a bottle of 911 and fingers crossed? Maybe I'm thinking too much and should just fill up when I get close to the border...

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
RT1 said:
So I have to go up to Ottowa in a couple of weeks and wonder if the mid-atlantic fuel mix is gell free that far up. I haven't had a problem this year
but with spring coming I wonder if the formulas are adjusted based on average temps (which in New Jersey isn't looking that bad). Should I throw a couple of gallons of #1D in the tank and fill with #2D, or just travel with a new filter, a bottle of 911 and fingers crossed? Maybe I'm thinking too much and should just fill up when I get close to the border...
__. A bottle of Power-Service white will cost you $5.50 at dah Wahmott. It will fix any gelling problem and also get any water out of the system (ice crystals can be as bad as gelling).

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Don't start out with a full tank, and fill up as you go along.

Watch the temperature and as it drops 20F, add more PS.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Just fill up along the way and make sure you completely fill up before stopping for the night. Stick with truck stops, follow the big rigs.

Even unwinterized straight #2 diesel should be good down to 10 - 20 F or so.

scurvy

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Seconded - fillup with the local fuel before shutting down as you go north. Powerservice White is good for your local fuel as you're heading north. This won't be an issue as you head back south...

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Diesel fuel in Canada is required to be winterized to suit expected climate conditions. Arrange to have an empty tank when you cross into Canada and fill up here, and you won't have an issue. No additives required. In any case, by a couple of weeks from now, the worst of the cold weather will hopefully be finished with for this year (I'm hoping ...)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RT1 said:
So I have to go up to Ottowa in a couple of weeks and wonder if the mid-atlantic fuel mix is gell free that far up. ... Maybe I'm thinking too much and should just fill up when I get close to the border...
Right now there is a serious fuel shortage in Ontario and parts of Quebec. So fill up before you cross the border. The supply situation should improve in the next couple weeks, but prices will still be very high.

spoolhaus

TDI
WTB 2003 Jetta Wagon
TornadoRed said:
Right now there is a serious fuel shortage in Ontario and parts of Quebec. So fill up before you cross the border. The supply situation should improve in the next couple weeks, but prices will still be very high.
The fuel shortage situation is pretty much resolved (as far as my neck of the woods go..(Montréal and suburbs). For the price issue..well, l can only say::''Welcome to Gangland and enjoy your stay....'':cool: