How to tell if the fuel has gel'ed.

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
Car won't start after 3 days of sitting in single digit to 30ish degree weather, but it'll crank. This is the one time I didn't put any dieselkleen in it and i think its gel'ed.

Is their a clear fuel line or any other way of checking to see if the fuel has gel'ed?

What can I use to un-gel the fuel?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
diesel kleen offers no winterizing action. You know that, right?

When was your last fuel filter change?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
30 degrees shouldn't cause diesel to gell, but the overnight temperatures there (unless your a LOT warmer than DC has been lately) are cold enough to cause problems in improperly winterized fuel.

And yes, there is a clear section of fuel line right next to the fuel filter.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Probably not gelling...too warm for gelling if the fuel has been properly winterized. It's still cold enough for ICING though due to water contamination and the symptoms are the same as gelling.

What version fuel pickup sender do you have?

Early revisions "B" and "C" are known to have a check valve that's too restrictive and becomes the first victim of icing in the cold due to moisture condensation in the fuel. Ice crystals build up at the valve and eventually plug it, starving the engine of fuel.

Later versions "H" and anything after that don't have this problem.

Link to original thread on this topic:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=68872

Good luck.

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
Bought the car at 27k miles, now has 29k miles. Was planning on changing all filters at 30k miles. It was running fine till Monday night when i got home, then tried to start it again this morning and it wouldn't start.

I thought the white bottle of PS had the antigel additive.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
VDUBS said:
I thought the white bottle of PS had the antigel additive.
It does, but you said diesel kleen in your opening post :eek: diesel kleen = silver bottle

YMMV

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
n1das said:
Probably not gelling...too warm for gelling if the fuel has been properly winterized. It's still cold enough for ICING though due to water contamination and the symptoms are the same as gelling.

What version fuel pickup sender do you have?

Early revisions "B" and "C" are known to have a check valve that's too restrictive and becomes the first victim of icing in the cold due to moisture condensation in the fuel. Ice crystals build up at the valve and eventually plug it, starving the engine of fuel.

Later versions "H" and anything after that don't have this problem.

Link to original thread on this topic:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=68872

Good luck.
No idea what version I have. Do you know what years are effected with the bad unit?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Oops...I see it's an 04 PD. Fuel sender issue I mentioned only applies to A4 TDIs prior to sometime around 2002.

Could the lift pump have died? :confused:

PD TDIs (2004+ in the USA) have an in-tank electric lift pump in the fuel pickup sender unit. These have been known to fail without any warning.

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
n1das said:
Oops...I see it's an 04 PD. Fuel sender issue I mentioned only applies to A4 TDIs prior to sometime around 2002.

Could the lift pump have died? :confused:

PD TDIs (2004+ in the USA) have an in-tank electric lift pump in the fuel pickup sender unit. These have been known to fail without any warning.
Ok, your starting to scare me here. Lets stick with gel'ed fuel for now, anyone have advice on what to do?

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
O, might I also add some other information that might be nothing.

On the 3rd attempt at a 5sec crank, the low oil pressure light came on. At this point I stopped. I'm not exactly sure how the pump runs, but is this something i should be worried when i'm tring to start it?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Ah, perhaps the 5 second crank is the problem! I trust you are being careful to let the glow plug light go out before you attempt the start, and for what it is worth, allowing ONLY 5 seconds of crank in cold weather probably won't be long enough. I'd suggest you give a little longer, maybe 10 seconds. The "official" don't-try-this-at-home-or-you'll-burn-up-the-starter-motor limit is 30 seconds.

I wouldn't worry about the low oil pressure light unless it STAYS on after the engine starts.