www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 13th, 2007, 06:41   #16
G60ING
Veteran Member

I helped build the motor on this one:

G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:31   #17
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING
hey does that cat have a dual inlet setup like the rallye golfs? And there is plenty of room for a 3" exhaust under a non-lifted rallye
It's a funny system. It looks ike the Rallye Golf cat - at least in the car it does. Once it is out I can tell better as I have a Rallye Golf cat here along with the entire 160hp G60 engine (looking for a home BTW!). The thing that is definately different is that it uses those C springs to hold the down pipe to the manifold, but the down pipe is a dual down pipe... why they did it this way is beyond me? The dual outlet G60 manifold is a much better flowing system.

Tonight, depeding on how my back is after this morning's visit to the chiropractor, will result in the 1.8L Digifant engine on the floor and the exhaust system on the floor as well.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 20:49   #18
Hasenwerk

Well the engine is now on the garage floor as well as the exhaust system.

So for G60ING... the Golf Country vs Rallye Golf cat:

Golf Country vs Rally Golf converters.

The TDI cat will certainly fit, but I think I will be building a custom down pipe to clear the PTO on the transmission. That should be fun!

There are only a few things that are unique to the Golf Country in the engine compartment as the engine sits lower that a normal Golf. Things that are different include the pipe that goes between the thottle valve and AFM, coolant hoses to the radiator and heater core and the front engine mount and crossmember.

As the TDI swap is concerned, all of these parts can be reused with the exception of the pipe from the throttle valve to the AFM. The engine cross member will need to be further modified from where VW left off. The cross member has a section cut out of it so the oil filter would clear due the engine sitting lower - this modification that they did works fine for a gasser filter but the larger Diesel filter will require a minor reworking.

Golf Country Crossmember

That's it for now!
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:49   #19
G60ING
Veteran Member

Thanks
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 19:16   #20
Rockjay420

TDI(s): None

very very nice
Rockjay420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:36   #21
tdi rs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk2 16v tdi

We.ve done a couple tdi's into countrys pretty straight forward,use the rallye running gear just change the diff for a tdi.
Old February 17th, 2007, 17:51   #22
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi rs
We.ve done a couple tdi's into countrys pretty straight forward,use the rallye running gear just change the diff for a tdi.
I'm thinking the stock rallye gearing looks pretty OK. 5th at 100km/h would be about 2500rpm - considering I won't be going much fast than 110km/g I think it is pretty much in the ball park as is.

See http://www.hasenwerk.ca/golfcountryt...smission.shtml for a chart showing both gearboxes.
Old February 20th, 2007, 21:24   #23
Hasenwerk

The weekend was spent cleaning the engine bay with lots of Simple Green, brake cleaner and plastic brushes. Now the patient is clean for surgery!

Now comes the fun part, for me anyhow, and that is the electrical system. The Digifant II harness is now removed and the TDI harness is sitting in a box waiting to go into the Golf. One of the things I am also doing is installing the 260km/h Golf Rallye speedometer in place of the 220km/h Golf Country speedometer so it will read the correct speed with the Golf Rallye transmission.

The Rallye instrument cluster has the MFA and the Country doesn't, nor do I have the rest of the parts to make the MFA stuff work, so it is being removed from the Rallye cluster before going into the Country. So at this point I figured I can do much better than the MFA and install one of my multifuncion digital gauges.

Multifunction Digital Gauge

This gauge is the baby brother of the one that is installed in both my TriStar and Westfalia. It can show four temperatures (two thermocouple, two resistive) and one pressure. This one will be setup for water, oil, pre turbo and intake manifold temperatures and boost pressure. It has the ability to remember the highest settings since last reset and most important alert the driver is something is over a specified value. So for example if you are exceeding 850C on the turbo it will start blinking the display and if I connect it, it can also flash a light(s) or sound a buzzer. I am thinking of removing the blanks below the LEDs already in the cluster. Two buttons will be installed to control the gauge on the little blank spot where normally there is a timing advance for a Diesel engine. As you can tell, it is a test fit at this moment. I have to open up the plastic a bit more so you can see the entire display. It's a start anyhow!
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:30   #24
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Sweet!

I know someone else that I haven't talked to in a while that was doing a Country TDI, He had some real nice parts picked out too. I'll try and get in touch with him and maybe you two can bounce info off each other.
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:55   #25
TurbinePower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Forward
This gauge is the baby brother of the one that is installed in both my TriStar and Westfalia. It can show four temperatures (two thermocouple, two resistive) and one pressure. This one will be setup for water, oil, pre turbo and intake manifold temperatures and boost pressure.
Mmmmmmm... where can I buy this wonderful gauge goodness?
TurbinePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:09   #26
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbinePower
Mmmmmmm... where can I buy this wonderful gauge goodness?
It isn't a plug and play thing at all - lots of mods to the gauge and to the OE instrument housing have to be done. It is an avation gauge from Czech. The issue that I am going to have to overcome is the LCD is attached to the rest of the computer via an 18 pin ribbon cable that is about 8cm long - the main computer is too big to fit inside the OE instrument cluster housing so I am going to have to piggy back it off of the back of the instument cluster housing - with luck I can find a longer ribbon cable and it won't be an issue... more photos will be available when it is done.
Old February 21st, 2007, 15:11   #27
shortysclimbin
Veteran Member

The ribon cable shouldn't be tooo bad to fix. Just be careful and disconnect the wires from the computer side not the lcd side! If you have every tried to solder anything to an lcd you know what I am talking about... Also make sure you jump pins and take your time. (so if its 15 pins do 1,15,cool time, 2, 14, cool time, 3, 13......) If you have a heat sink this can speed up the process... good luck and keep us posted on the project! Also, can you post a link for the gauge just for s & g?
shortysclimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 15:14   #28
shortysclimbin
Veteran Member

Also david what are you doing about the rest of the gauges and where are you getting the data from? Im an currently debating if I need to swap in some mk 3 items to do it... But if I can keep it stock looking why not!
shortysclimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 23:52   #29
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Or if it's a printed ribbon w/ push-on connections yes, they come in various lengths.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:32   #30
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I LOVE the idea of the digital EGT gauge in the multifunction-display. Thumbs up!!

Will you install an 02C transmission or 6-speed 02M?

Someone I know is extremely envious of your project.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote