www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 28th, 2007, 14:47   #1
wbx
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Default Trouble shooting 00550 code and cutting out power

Hello everyone,

Within the last week, our '98 jetta has developed an intermittant problem with losing power while going up hills and cutting out (as if going into limp then back to full power many times rapidly). On the flats, if you stay light on the throttle, you can maintain 70mph, but any more than throttle than that, it starts cutting out again.

Fault code:
00550 - Start of Injection Regulation

Things i've checked:
N-108 resistance is 16.3 ohms (in spec)
G-80 resistance is 83.6 ohms (in spec)

Basic settings measuring blocks:
043 ~048 000 009 101 204 075 142 164 ~140
(glow plug light comes on when in basic settings). Timing graph shows timing about 1/3 of the way above the middle line.

MAF specified: 250
MAF actual: ~465

Things that are new/replaced recently include the TB (replaced it myself about 5k miles ago), all the vacuum hoses (except the blue one and one in ECU). We are running B99, and it has been cold, so gelling could be an issue.

I am ordering a couple fuel filters, but want to know if there are other things i should check in the mean time. I'm hoping that the fuel filter will solve the problem as it does seem to be a load related problem (the problem gets worse on extended climbs, and temporarily goes away after a long downhill run).

Are there any more suggestions? Are there obvious things in Vag-Com that will help point to the answer (i'm still trying to figure out that wonderful tool).

Thanks,
-Damon
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:59   #2
dhbiker1

I have a 98 jetta that the exact same problem which started on saturday driving uphill on the highway. The past week it has been very hard to start (4 time approx.) which i figured was more of the cold. Today I checked the timing and I am in the upper half of the curve. I also have noticed alot more smoke during startup and today when i left for UConn it was smoking more while driving (a little lighter in color than normal black smoke) so I went home and switched cars. Seems to me that we have the same exact problem and for me, searching on here has not lead me in any specific direction.
dhbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:36   #3
fivestringcooper

Fuel Economy: 44-52

Hi Guys, Take the connector apart in the (3 prong) and apply a little noalox. that might help some. Fivestringcooper
fivestringcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:33   #4
dhbiker1

Hi, thanks for the input but i'm a bit confused. Could you please be a little more specific about what connector to clean and where it is located.
Old January 29th, 2007, 13:00   #5
wbx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestringcooper
Hi Guys, Take the connector apart in the (3 prong) and apply a little noalox. that might help some. Fivestringcooper
I've removed and installed the connector on the MAF a few times trying to make sure it is clean, but no noalox (dialectric grease?) was applied. I'm assuming you mean the cold start valve?

-Damon
Old January 29th, 2007, 21:12   #6
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

The MAF on a 98 Jetta is rather robust, but testing it is the same as with the A4's - put the pedal to the metal from 2K to 4K in 2nd, 3rd and, if legal, 4th gears and plot requested/actual. Actual should shoot to over 1000 for a brief time. I'd bet the MAF is OK - but do a run and report back.

Start of injection regulation? No idea of what that could be.
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:37   #7
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

FYI:

The delta between the specified and actual most often occurs at idle when the EGR is disabled or is non-functional. The EGR feed occurs after the MAF and since the ECM is commanding a certain amount of EGR it's subtracting that volume from what the MAF should be reading. If the EGR is disabled, that volume that would have been coming from the EGR is now being drawn past the MAF, hence the higher reading.

As to the issue:

Do you have any DTC's other DTC's?
What's the injector balance on measuring group 13 displaying? Official spec is +-2.0 mg/h but .5 should be more like it. If it's higher than that I would plan on some injector nozzles or have them sent out for adjustment if they're recent. Imagine how much work the pump/QA adjuster assemly has to do each revolution to make that correction for each cylinder.
Also, get some D2 in there and run it for a bit before condeming anything...

Last edited by jollyGreenGiant; January 30th, 2007 at 07:42.
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 17:21   #8
dhbiker1

I cleaned the battery terminals, and sprayed electrical cleaner as close as I could get on and around the connector going into the injector pump. I have cold started it twice and it has started right up with no codes, but definitely still with smoke. Group 13 displayed numbers around .75 ish for cyl 1,2,3 and there was nothing displaying in cyl 4. Could this be a possible problem? I'll try again in the cold tomorrow and see what happens, but i really need to take it on the highway to see if it cuts out again just like was happening to wbx above. thanks
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:45   #9
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

You are actually comparing cylanders 1,2 and 4 agains 3. It is normal to only have 3 readings.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:58   #10
wbx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyGreenGiant
Do you have any DTC's other DTC's?
What's the injector balance on measuring group 13 displaying? Official spec is +-2.0 mg/h but .5 should be more like it. If it's higher than that I would plan on some injector nozzles or have them sent out for adjustment if they're recent. Imagine how much work the pump/QA adjuster assemly has to do each revolution to make that correction for each cylinder.
Also, get some D2 in there and run it for a bit before condeming anything...
I'm assuming this can be done cold, right?

Also, I can't really do any data logging of the MAF because my laptop has a bum battery and i don't have a car adapter (not that the cigarette lighter has any power to it anyway ).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old January 31st, 2007, 13:10   #11
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

The coolant and fuel should both be up to temp when checking the group 13 fields. I would also think about logging boost specified vs. actual. Get a power adapter, you're really going to need it to get to the bottom of this...
Old January 31st, 2007, 13:23   #12
wbx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyGreenGiant
Get a power adapter, you're really going to need it to get to the bottom of this...
I was actually just looking into that power adapter... I guess i'll be posting about the cigarette lighter next
Old January 31st, 2007, 13:46   #13
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

If I remember there is a super secret not in the Bentley fuse on top of the fuse box that is the most common failure with cigarette adapters in A3's.

I used to replace them with a minifuse auto-reset breaker...
Old February 6th, 2007, 21:33   #14
wbx
Veteran Member

Default Update

Changing the filter did the trick. At least i'm pretty sure. The same loop that exhibited the driving symptoms before were driven lickety-split with noticeably more "pep". The old filter was clogged with algae from the bioD "cleaning out the tank".

Since my wife and I are pretty into the alternative fuel thing, i'll be posting a question in the bioD forum about this.

Thanks, and i'll also be looking into that top secret fuse box :-).

-Damon
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:17   #15
tphollomon

TDI(s): 1998 beetle
Default code 00550

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestringcooper
My1998 beetle TDI has lost some power, codes 00550 (commencement of injection regulation) and code 00575 (intake manifold pressure control difference) both"sporadic". Dealer #66 in Macon, GA said it needs a new injection pump...I don't think so, my filter needs changing and I will bet that does it. By the way my filter has a built in "T" fitting where the stock filter has the removable "T valve". What gives with this?

tphollomon (aka Flatheadgrenada)
tphollomon is offline   Reply With Quote