www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 26th, 2007, 23:17   #1
Big_Bizness

Default Spanner for union nut 3217

Does anyone know where to get a tool to remove the union nut in short notice? I need to get one to change my lift pump (according to Bently), and I really dont want to order one online, cause it will take way too long to get here. Any other ways around this?
Big_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:13   #2
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Others have posted that a large screwdriver pushing against one of the collar nubs works. I think one person used two big screwdrivers, 180 degrees apart doing this.

I'd try a 2X4 block of wood and a hammer with, "gentle, but persausive taps". I wonder if a strap or oil filter band wrench will fit on there.

Make sure you mark the orientation of the collar against the car body under the seat and note the orientation (rotation) of the old pump and install the new pump and collar in the same position.

--Nate
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:38   #3
Big_Bizness

Thanks man, I just read that and completed it. Used a block of wood and some "love taps". Car runs great now, hopefully fixed my problems.
Big_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:34   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Its good to know the wood trick works. My lift pump failed at 46,000 miles, stranding me. Car towed to VW and fixed under warranty.

I now cary a spare lift pump, a phillips screwdriver (for the the pump coverplate screws) and a block of wood in the trunk 9I figure I can find something roadside to smack the wood with). I'll be ready next time.

What mileage did your lift pump fail at? AND do you have a Catipilliar 2 micron fuel filter? I wonder if the CAT filter strains the pump more. I put my CAT filter on at 17,000 miles and was about ready to change the filter when the pump failed.

When I got the car back from the dealer, I replaced the filter and cut the old one open. It was black inside, but not more so than pictures that others have posted here of cut open CAT filters.

--Nate