GPS directory for TDI mechanics and maybe biodiesel pumps.

sccasper

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI,2005 Passat TDI Wagon
I`m thinking of contacting all guru`s and recommended tdi mechanics on this forum to see if they would like to be included on a gps directory with address, phone number and gps coordinate to be put in cvs. or ov2. file format for Garmin , TomTom and various oth gps`s.
Also if that goes over I`m thinking later on creating another gps directory of all biodiesel pumps with addresses, phone numbers, type of biodiesel and of course the gps coordinates for your gps.
It might be nice to have a national gps directory for tdi mechanics and places that sell biodiesel for those with Garmon, tomtom or other gps`s. So anyone travelling accross the country can have at thier fingers the nearest tdi mechanic and or biodiesel station right on thier gps.

I would like to know if thier are enough members who have gps`s that would be interested enough to make it worth the time and effort to create thes directories?

sccasper

Veteran Member
TDI
I`ve sent out pm`s to those who have member names on the list for inclusion on the gps directory and for address to get coordinates. Also phone numbers if they want those included on the directory. The mechanics on the list of " trusted TDI mechanics" that had no member name listed to PM them, I will contact them either by phone or email, whatever contact way given. Once I got a list of mechanics that want to be included and thier addresses. I will get under way of creating the gPS file directory ie: cvs., ov2. file format

sccasper

Veteran Member
TDI
If your lost and need a Guru

Here is a simple picture display of a garmin GPS as demonstrated as I were traveling accross country and were in need of a trusted tdi mechanic/Guru. I chose "oilhammer" I`m even going 1150 miles to have him work on my car. I here he`s good. This is just an example:D The listings will come up on your GPS in order from nearest to farthest away...

I have all the guru`s and trusted mechanics listed here on the forum minus a couple who would like to be excluded. Whenever there are new guru`s or trusted mechanics listed the file will be updated. It will take a little while to complete as I have to work out one or to glitches and create files for various GPS`s. The directories will include how to program your specific GPS.
I discovered my specific gps will only hold 30 listings per file so I will probably have 4 entries TDI mechanics western/ tdi mechanics central/ tdi mechanics eastern and tdi mechanics Canada. Will keep you updated and keep the names coming in. The more trusted mechanics the better...:)

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
My Nuvi has 800MB for Pois. It would be nice to have for a trip across the country. And I may be looking to move out to the southwest sometime in the future and get away from the cold.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Love the idea, how can I get a copy of the data file? I assume it's something I can import into my Streetpilot III

ALAND

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, Spice Red, Tan Leather, 5sp.
I had spent an evening doing this a year or so ago. I used the national directory and an address-> lat long converter site I found online. I got most of the east coast and on some routes I thought I was likely to take, i.e. I-95, I-85, I-40 through to AZ. I did not include Illinois, because of the four jillion B2 stations in the directory. PM me and I will look for the file. It was on an old machine and I need to look at the DVD image of the hard drive since I erased its brain and turned it into an ITunes machine in the lab.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I had thought about doing this, then I got a Droid.

Actually I did make a B100 pump list that was as close to 50-states as I could get it, if I find it on my backup server I'll post it.

Glad I didn't delete the GARMIN folder yet.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
If you guys want a less techy but more fun B100 map (that could go on your wall), email Frankie Abralind for the BiodieselSmarter B100 map.
http://www.biodieselsmarter.com/

also, nearbio.com is a good source. Surprised they haven't put a GPS link in...

BIG thumbs up on a Guru map. Could be TDIClub fundraiser... Fred, calling Fred! A printed map in time for TDIFest would be fun...

Last edited: