www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old November 13th, 2007, 22:40   #46
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

You better dot the i's and cross the t's while on the road, and make sure YOU stop for a rest for her whenever SHE needs/has to stop.

This will make her trip easier for her and may go with you again().

Good luck!
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 21:18   #47
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Default Turning 290K old...

I could not get a better picture than this one !

My 1996 Passat TDI Variant made it to the sum of
290.000 thousand miles or 464.000 thousand kilometers on the trip back home to Pagosa.
I am the second owner, don't know about the PO and that maintenance.

Great trip except for the State Trooper pulling me over because he "could not see the front license plate" when it was there ALL along!

Got 42+ MPG @ 70MPH's on this trip and all of it was UPHILL from Houston to Colorado.

(yes, the compression is getting worse every mile, start ups are taking longer and the performance is comparable now to a less classy vehicle{you fill in the blank...}

No mechanical problem on the trip or the last one(s) .

I LIKE my TDI, especially when drinking BIODIESEL @ 100% !
Old November 14th, 2007, 22:01   #48
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

bikeprof... sounds like you really did make it out to your south american road trip. i'm please to read about it! Glad you made it through safe and sound and had a blast doing it. Post pictures sometime.

as for what makes a road trip, i guess my 13 day excursion, over 4,000 miles across the country from RI to CA is dwarfed by your road trip! Congrats!

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:06   #49
Ponderosa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Beetle
Default Not for the road trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO&TDI
I talked my wife into going with me from Richmond, VA to Lawrence, KS 1400/1500 miles (one way) over Thanksgiving to see to KU games and one Chiefs game in a 2 day span. I think she might hate me before we even get to kentucky but I'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks.
I am sure she doesen't hate you for the road trip. It probably has to do with being a Chiefs/Jayhawk fan....
Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:11   #50
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 49.91 hwy w/ ULSD worst: 28.xx city with Jet-A/D1 mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjack
I drove an air cooled VW beetle from El Paso, Texas to the southern end of Chile and back to Peru back in 1970, (I was 19 at the time, young and dumb), but the speedometer didn't work, so I have no actual idea how far I actually drove. But then I took almost a year to do it. Lots of wacky adventures.

Welcome to the U.S.!
I think we have a winner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
...you [are] a loyal VW owner, wether you like it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
I'm just not buying the whole, 01M sucks...end of story bit.

2001 Jetta Sedan GLS. 01M trans. Koni Reds. Evo Skidplate. Otherwise stock.

I <3 my automatic transmission. =)

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
FL2AK-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 20:29   #51
bikeprof
Veteran Member

I will also applaud the trip to South America in a VW bus(in the 70's, no less...) of COWBOYJACK.
He has won the "bestest"(possibly) and farthest road trip in my opinion!

The CD's of pictures of my trip are lost, where is where I do not know. Hopefully they can be located.

My trip highlights .
1. a dead Brazilian man in the middle of the highway(probably got hit by a truck mirror)
2. a car in a tree in Brazil BACKWARDS, seems that they were getting ready to pass the car in front of them but after applying the brakes really hard , the car swerved off the road hitting a curb(with the back wheels) launching them airborne backwards.
3. a dead cow that had fallen off a very tall cliff in the south south(region Xl) part of Chile.
When asking her if she was OK., I noticed that the cow was "udderly dead" , she was on her back!

Thanks Zippy for the nice words of my road trip, this was the first trip of a couple more that I should be doing later...
You are welcome back anytime, you shouldn't have to worry about wheel bearings anytime soon !

The best part of my road trip was that MOTHER NATURE cooperated !
Old December 10th, 2007, 18:50   #52
Nico3d3
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2001

Quote:
I drove an air cooled VW beetle from El Paso, Texas to the southern end of Chile and back to Peru back in 1970, (I was 19 at the time, young and dumb), but the speedometer didn't work, so I have no actual idea how far I actually drove. But then I took almost a year to do it. Lots of wacky adventures.
Did you really drive from USA to South America? I thought this was impossible to do because of the Darien_Gap. There's supposed to be a 100 miles wide area of undeveloped deep forest without any roads, between Panama and Colombia.

Anyway, the last road trip I did was this summer with my newly owned TDI (bought it in may 2007). I started in the southern area of Quebec province, near USA. I crossed the border at Coburn Gore (Maine, USA) and then, I headed to Bangor. From Bangor, I got to St-Stephen (New-Brunswick, Canada) and I slept there. Next day, I headed to St-John and I took the ferry to cross the Fundy Bay and get to Digby (Nova Scotia). I slept there and next day, I visited an acadian village from where my ancestors where coming from and then I slept in Liverpool (on the south shore of Nova Scotia). Then, next day I headed to Moncton (New Brunswick) and I slept in a tent for the last time in my road trip. Next day, I was in the Gaspesie area of Quebec province where all my family are coming from.

Last edited by Nico3d3; December 10th, 2007 at 19:02.
Nico3d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 21:43   #53
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Yeah, last year or year before, the group that drove the three Toureg TDI's on biodiesel form up here at Prudhoe Bay to the southern tip of south America on 100% bio diesel, were going to have their three vehicles flown across the gap. I don't htink they got that far did they?
Quote:

Quote:

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
Old December 13th, 2007, 21:25   #54
bikeprof
Veteran Member

For those who wonder...
getting a ship from Panama City to a port in Colombia(either ocean), would be the best way and manner for "crossing" the Darien Gap.

Here is from Wikipedia:
The gap itself was first traversed by the Land Rover "La Cucaracha Cariñosa" (The Affectionate Cockroach) and a Jeep of the Trans-Darién Expedition 1959-60, crewed by Amado Araúz (Panama), his wife Reina Torres de Araúz, the late former SAS man Richard E. Bevir (UK), and engineer Terence John Whitfield (Australia)[1]. They left Chepo, Panama on 2 February 1960 and reached Quibdó, Colombia on 17 June 1960, averaging 201 m (220 yd) per hour over 136 days. They traveled a great deal of the distance up the vast Atrato River.

Notice that a lot of the trip in the Darien was done by barge/boat...
Old December 14th, 2007, 15:14   #55
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Let's plan a panama GTG and we'll cross the gap in our tdi's. At 220 yrds per hour, I can walk ahead of the convoy with a diesel powered chainsaw.
Quote:

Quote:

Old January 28th, 2008, 22:40   #56
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Default To South America>>>>>>>>

Hmmm, I am going back again!
Maybe I can volunteer to actually do some sort of study to this sort of slow movement...?

That is, going to South America but not anywhere close to the Darien Gap, I 'll leave that to another less wise person .

Actually, what may work great in a circumstance like crossing the Darien Gap is to manufacture a couple of HUGE chain saws, add a seat on top of them, "vwehicle" controls and "get" after it...!
Anyone?
Old January 28th, 2008, 22:54   #57
uberdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof
Hmmm, I am going back again!
Actually, what may work great in a circumstance like crossing the Darien Gap is to manufacture a couple of HUGE chain saws, add a seat on top of them, "vwehicle" controls and "get" after it...!
Anyone?
Didn't Speed Racer have something like that on the Mach 5?
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:11   #58
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(
Cool

Quote:
2. What IS the magic number of mileage to call it a trip?
Ever since moving to the 'boonies' that magic number has changed drastically. Back when I lived in the city, a road trip was going to any other city - 40-60 miles or more. Now that I live in a small rural town, it's different. It's 100 miles to a real city with real 'shopping options'. A trip is anything over ~200 miles now.
Old February 1st, 2008, 22:36   #59
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Tom Servo> "Ever since moving to the 'boonies' that magic number has changed drastically. Back when I lived in the city, a road trip was going to any other city - 40-60 miles or more. Now that I live in a small rural town, it's different. It's 100 miles to a real city with real 'shopping options'. A trip is anything over ~200 miles now. "

HAHAHA...
My trips these days are closer to 1.000 ONE way to get some good REAL Chinese food(from mainland China) all the way in Houston where my family lives !

I do know what you mean though about drastic changes in driving "habits"..., I would drive 285 miles one way to visit the EX-girl/woman friend without any hesitation .

But I LOVE being home where the snow is so deep that my 1989 Jetta gasser/auto(FOR SALE, TDI swap?) is nowhere to be seen(under all the snow), waiting until my next trip!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:48   #60
cptmox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.2/48/42

Quote:
HAHAHA...
My trips these days are closer to 1.000 ONE way to get some good REAL Chinese food(from mainland China) all the way in Houston where my family lives !
You drive to China!