www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old February 13th, 2007, 16:57   #16
Bill DeWitt

Fuel Economy: 45 to 49
Default Road trips

Last September we got our '06 Jetta and were visiting in K. C. Got hungry for a steak, went to Montana Mike's in western Kansas. From there
we needed a sack of peaches from Oregon and a bag of Washington apples. On the way home we stopped in Three Forks, Mt. for 5 loaves of bread at the Wheat Montana Bakery & Deli. To top it off at the Hayes House in Council Grove, Ks. we had prime rib. Oh yeah the Jetta (got carried away) it got broke in and we average 48.5 mpg. As you can see we like to travel.

Would any one like to carvan to Old Mexico? Say from Nogales, Az. to Mazatlan, Durango, Torreon and Monterrey then back to the States?
Last week I contacted a tour guide from El Paso and he suggested to contact the Green Angels in Old Mexico. We might could drive with them or a few hours in front for security. Your thoughts?
Bill DeWitt
West Plains, Mo.
Bill DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 23:24   #17
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...

Mr Bill !

Since you like to take "road trips", here is one for you...

Come to the GTG in Pagosa during the 13,14,15th of APRIL.

ALL the top tuners will be here(Chipping/injectors/VAG-COM, etc), also TDI racing(VW RALLY Golf/Oliver), a couple VENDORS and good LOCAL beer.
Super HOT springs and VERY nice mountains with clean air to add to all that .

WHATCHA say? I gave you plenty of notice... .

Check Mountain/Southern States GTG's for info.

John
bikeprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:57   #18
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☠☭

Ah, the heady days of college.

A couple buddies and I decided to go to the beach one day. In late fall. At 10pm. Pointed my trusty Volvo south by southeast from Atlanta. Exactly four hours later I pulled the e-brake and we piled out and over the boardwalk over the dunes on Tybee Island and proceeded to get soaking wet in the very-f'in-cold Atlantic Ocean. Ten minutes later, back on the road. We got back just in time to change clothes and walk to our 8am morning classes.

Nice.

My wife and I have also decided on a moment's notice to go visit my brother and his wife in Atlanta, let our always-happy-to-go-for-a-ride greyhound jump into the back of the Golf and taken off at noon on a Saturday. It's weird to be able to make that trip without stopping for fuel. I can only imagine what kind of stupid road trips I would've taken in college if I had this kind of range in a vehicle then.

scurvy

Last edited by scurvy; February 15th, 2007 at 13:58.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:49   #19
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(
Thumbs up college is a time to sow one's wild oates. or eat them.

Hey scurvy - I did the exact same thing when I was in college. How weird is that???

Instead of getting hazed to death (literally) like so many of my classmates, I was too busy exploring all of creation on my own. Maybe that's why I didn't do to well in school.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:25   #20
OzarkTDI

TDI(s): '06.7 NB TDI
Default Old Mexico?

Greetings Bill

Wife and I'd be interested in driving to Merida, North coast of the Yucatan, we have friends there who will put 4 of us up for little or no cost. Mayan ruins, cenote diving or just plain lounging by the beach front is also an acceptable past time. Our biggest concern was being able to find fuel readily.

Our friends, also lake dwellers drove the trip in their Honda O in less than 30 hours with a layover for sleep and more fuel stops. Does the passport issue apply if travelling by land? I know it does if arr/dep by air. We do not have passports yet.

April is out, we have tix for Talledega and it will be the longest RT to date. RT's around here really are an everyday occurance with 6,200 miles since new 12-16.

Bob
Old March 12th, 2007, 20:31   #21
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Bob: Getting passports is a HAVE TO! You can go into MEX. until the Mexican customs(~35miles) and then you will be turned back.

DIESEL is so available there it is quite funny! It may be a little lower than here on cetane but it is EVERYWHERE! and with the range of the TDI, "no worries", OK?

GET a PASSPORT! You will not regret that! take plenty of SMALLER Peso bills to hand out in case of a police officer "wants to talk" to you(bribe pesos...), you should be OK.
Also, don't be arrogant with the locals, you'll have a way better time !
Old March 12th, 2007, 22:01   #22
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(
I don't think you need a passport until January 2008 for ground travel, but getting a passport will definitely save you some headaches. The last time I went into Canada, I got guff from both sides because I didn't have one, and this was in 2005.

An old co-worker of mine from Mexico City once told me that Pemex sells diesel almost everywhere; I think I've seen on here that it's usually 50 cetane!
Old April 16th, 2007, 19:01   #23
Jack_Berry
Veteran Member

1976 rick and i went out so he could get some smokes. started on the northwest side of chgo. went to mad city via mke for pizza. went west to the big river and north for b'fast. turned right and cruised across 8 to 41 and came south. don't remember the mileage just a great 24 hours of cruising in his new 240 dl.
st louis for a 24 hr race. mid ohio for several 24 hr races. nelson ledges for several 24 hr races and mosport for, yes,a couple 24 hr races. quick jaunts to detroit for a gp or three and 3 trips to rd atlanta. approx 60 trips to rd am don't count as they were only 2.5 hrs in lth. forgot the new england trip and visit at lime rock park for imsa on memorial day monday and the drivers school the following week with the wife in her black 84 gli 5 spd.
upcoming 10 day drive and see to cour d lene id to see the sis in laws house on the river and back to racine via fargo for a tour of the cnh steiger tractor factory in july.

02 galactic blue jetta, auto4spd, monsoon, heated seats , monster mats, tdiheater , evolution plate , dieselgeek oil bypass, pp520's
posting in central time, two hrs later, than the time on the post.

Last edited by Jack_Berry; April 16th, 2007 at 19:09.
Jack_Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:52   #24
mcgovc

Just about a month ago I drove my '01 TDI with a car full of buddys and a full car topper 1,100 miles to Panama City beach. (With all this weight and drag from the topper I still managed to average around 46 mpg!) I drove the entire way with only a couple stops for food and gas. Once in sunny Florida my TDI felt peppy and quick. Needless to say I put this to good use and made a few ricer kids mad. On the way back up to Michigan it was thee same old story... "lets drive straight thru" (worst idea ever) Somewhere near Ft. Wayne, Indiana I began to fall asleep at the wheel. So we pulled off and took a 20 minute cat nap in the Jetta. Crossing back into Michigan the Jetta ran over 147,000 miles on the odometer. Making it back with no problem, the Jetta easily makes the overall 2,500 mile journey. Next year.. I think I 'll go somewhere further away.
mcgovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:58   #25
mcgovc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy
Ah, the heady days of college.

A couple buddies and I decided to go to the beach one day. In late fall. At 10pm. Pointed my trusty Volvo south by southeast from Atlanta. Exactly four hours later I pulled the e-brake and we piled out and over the boardwalk over the dunes on Tybee Island and proceeded to get soaking wet in the very-f'in-cold Atlantic Ocean. Ten minutes later, back on the road. We got back just in time to change clothes and walk to our 8am morning classes.

Nice.

My wife and I have also decided on a moment's notice to go visit my brother and his wife in Atlanta, let our always-happy-to-go-for-a-ride greyhound jump into the back of the Golf and taken off at noon on a Saturday. It's weird to be able to make that trip without stopping for fuel. I can only imagine what kind of stupid road trips I would've taken in college if I had this kind of range in a vehicle then.

scurvy

I am currently in college and I drive a '01 Jetta TDI... In your post you stated, "I can only imagine the road trips I would've taken in college if I had this kind of range in a vehicle then" Well you are absolutley right. It seems that at minimum my friends and I will take some random stupid road trip.. and always at the drop of a pen. Its refreshing to hear that I am not the only one who has gone thru this stage.. but my God, its just so fun!
mcgovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:39   #26
4JimmyVee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1700 ltr yr 45Mpg 5.3L/100k

Two years ago From Thornhill Ont to the Ferry to Magdalan Islands on the north shore of Prince Edward Island 2470km (25:30 Hrs). Most of the drive was on 2 lane road so no super hwy, I missed the ferry by 10 minutes and had to stay at the Hilltop hotel for $70 let me just stay don't stay at this hotel. By the way this was the week that fuel cost went from $0.80 Ltr to $1.30. By the way the picture you see Icon is my car waiting for the ferry.

Last edited by 4JimmyVee; April 19th, 2007 at 11:42.
4JimmyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 22:26   #27
bikeprof
Veteran Member

JimmyVee: Nice to hear that you have been up to the Newfoundland area...

I am planning a trip up there next year, I want to hear more of this one trip(or others similar) and stuff you can recommend.

Be , summer is coming !

B4 Variant w/many miles...and a "couple" of MODS.
hmmm, an "experienced" car.
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:13   #28
TDIColoradoSprings

Fuel Economy: 725 Highway miles(aliitude)
Default Beautiful Road Trip

7/2/2007 I started at 5 am. and filled up at the local Bio-Diesel pump in Colorado Springs. The 250 mile to Rifle,Co. began.
My 2001 Jetta TDI is at 135,000 miles. Performing like new. An hour later arriving on I-70 and gaining altitude. A little ways up the highway before the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000 feet with hardly anyone on the road at 6 am. without downshifting in 5th gear and up hill my speed was at 95 mph. Of course letting off the pedal a mile before the Tunnel.
Later after leaving 100 degree Rifle,Co. I decided to take the longer but scenic roaute back to Colorado Spring by Independence Pass(12,000). Having lived in Colorado 11 years I would say driving on that pass was the most beautiful drive even taken.
To cut this long winded story short with all the speed and altitude when I arrived back home with doing nearly 500 miles I had burned just over a half tank.
So what makes a great road trip is a car that is fast and fuel efficient.
TDIColoradoSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 14:37   #29
Mitch

Fuel Economy: 62 mpg

Anything behind the wheel of a TDI is good, mine are on the long side:

2100 miles 6 days http://www.perrysys.com/Beetle/Christmas98RoadTrip.html

8471 miles 18 days
http://www.perrysys.com/Beetle/Cross...9RoadTrip.html

4436 miles 12 days
http://www.perrysys.com/Beetle2/Driv...9RoadTrip.html
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:24   #30
cptmox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.2/48/42

Road trip minimum criteria = however far you can go on one bladder.

Road trip max = no such thing.

Perfect road trip = From Chicago in the dead of winter to any place warm.