www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 9th, 2007, 12:39   #61
naveed

TDI(s): Nothing yet
Default Propane injection/ Methanol water system

I was wondering if propane injection and a snow fuel system that injects methanol and water would work if you are running your car with wvo. I would like to add some power enhancements after the intake, exhaust, and chip but I'm not sure what the repercussions would be if the car is running on grease.
naveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 15:04   #62
Crazy Memphis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1080km/tank
Arrow

i don't know much on greaser and propane injector but....

your vege oil is in a tank under the hood ( if you are in north america), and your propane injector will need a propane tank that should be located in the glove compartment, or at the spare tire location.

both system are individual meaning that they shouldn't interfear with each other. the diesel that is mist (spray) by the injector nozzle will be replaced by your vegeoil or grease and the propane will be added on top of all this. if the vegeoil work the same way as your fuel, it mean that there will not be any probleme mixing both of them !!!

Modifications: 2.5" Mufflerectomy,Ventectomy,KYB Gaz Susp. with Eibach Pro-kit,Kerma's costum tune,Eurojet FMIC,R520 stg2,Oil Press.-Boost- Pyrometer Cobalt Gauges,GT1852v stg2,boost valve,99.5 clutch,11mm pump, in-tank lift pump, 3bar map,Evo skid plate,

Coming on: clutch then peloquin slip differential
161.7hp and 235.6tq
Crazy Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:37   #63
Racing_Rush

Default Water Methanol Injection Kits

I have a 2006 TDI with 5 Speed and I want to put a water injection kit on before I do a chip (its cheaper and I want some power now) I want a kit from a repuable dealer but I don't want to spend more than I need to.

What do the controllers do and are they nessesary? I know I have to inject after the turbo but what kind of nozzel? Is there anyone out there that can steer me in the right direction...

Thanks
2006 Jetta TDI, 216,xxx kms, 17" Core Racing Kobe wheels with 225/45R17 Nokian WR G2 Tyres. 312mm front brakes with 4 corner ECS SS braided lines. PD140 turbo, Devils Own water/meth, Unitronic Stage 1+ reflash, 2.5" custom downpipe and straitpipe, ECS 14lb flywheel and Sachs VR6 clutch disc.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3314956
Racing_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:56   #64
devonutopia
Veteran Member

http://www.snowperformance.net/products.php?p_cat=306

I have the stage 2 kit about to go in my TDI next weekend. Controllers simply tell it what boost to start injecting, and what boost to be on full power. Inbetween is just progressive. Nozzles come with the kits - usually a choice. For a stock TDI I would say up to a single 175ml/min nozzle is sufficient. I'm going for a 225ml/min one myself.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:18   #65
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

This is a setup i'm considering but its a little on the expensive side. Regardless of that, there is a TON of good information on this page. Just make sure any young kids aren't around when you get towards the bottom haha. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html

Last edited by Whitbread; July 20th, 2008 at 18:41.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 13:43   #66
Gothmolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Um, ***?
!Vent, !DRL, 5 brake light mod, 11mm pump, RC3, Bosio Sprint 520s, VR6/G60 clutch, missing belly pan, leaky CCV, leaky valve cover, leaking door seals, broken glovebox, broken horn, rusted fender, dead rear windowwasher, frozen axle bushings
Dead radio? Pull fuse 42, wait 60 seconds.
Gothmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 17:32   #67
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Wowza, pretty pictures LOL.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 22:12   #68
Racing_Rush

I see that snow performance and devils own injection kits are being sold on ebay. Is the controller nessesary or just a luxery. Would it add to drivablity?
2006 Jetta TDI, 216,xxx kms, 17" Core Racing Kobe wheels with 225/45R17 Nokian WR G2 Tyres. 312mm front brakes with 4 corner ECS SS braided lines. PD140 turbo, Devils Own water/meth, Unitronic Stage 1+ reflash, 2.5" custom downpipe and straitpipe, ECS 14lb flywheel and Sachs VR6 clutch disc.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3314956
Racing_Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 23:17   #69
hatemi
Veteran Member

I wouldnt even consider a kit without it. Thats the only way you get the most out of it.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:07   #70
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

The same difference of having an ecu and not having one lol.
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:04   #71
TdiRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing_Rush
I have a 2006 TDI with 5 Speed and I want to put a water injection kit on before I do a chip (its cheaper and I want some power now) I want a kit from a repuable dealer but I don't want to spend more than I need to.

What do the controllers do and are they nessesary? I know I have to inject after the turbo but what kind of nozzel? Is there anyone out there that can steer me in the right direction...

Thanks
You will get more power from the chip for the money, so a chip is a better way to go. The water meth should be one of the last power adders you do. IS more for cooling than power. Don't believe all the wild claims about power gains. You have to have the right conditions for it to make power. I have been testing this stuff for over a year and there is no majic. The chip and injection actually should go hand in hand. You just go adding these kits to a stock car, you will start messing things up. Be forewarned.
I pop test and install Injectors, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, Do all maintainance and repairs for all TDI models. Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info. For all your TDI parts and service.

TdiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:16   #72
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Even though its true TDiRacing they don't want to hear / believe you they want the magic to happen and us peddling the conspiracy that it will not give the ultimate power output/s only fuels the fire..........lol.

Will work loads better for big rigs and drag diesel as they really need the efficient way these systems cool the intakes/engines from excessive heat.......or on our motors like tdiracing has said if you have mod going with 300+ whp and need to saith off high egt's etc.........someone like uurr StingrayRT / TDI RS.
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:58   #73
KID A TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread
This is a setup i'm considering but its a little on the expensive side. Regardless of that, there is a TON of good information on this page. Just make sure any young kids aren't around when you get towards the bottom haha. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
I didn't read all of your post and opened this at work lol. Good thing I'm already on the IT team
Old July 21st, 2008, 22:57   #74
dvldoc

TDI(s): Spacegear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
You will get more power from the chip for the money, so a chip is a better way to go. The water meth should be one of the last power adders you do. IS more for cooling than power. Don't believe all the wild claims about power gains. You have to have the right conditions for it to make power. I have been testing this stuff for over a year and there is no majic. The chip and injection actually should go hand in hand. You just go adding these kits to a stock car, you will start messing things up. Be forewarned.

Hmmm really? How many dyno comparisons have you done? When you can pick up 30, 40, 60hp and 70+ lbs of tq with no other changes to a 4cly turbo diesel I would say that is adding power.

Lower EGT, lower intake temps, plus alcohol = power on a turbo diesel it's as simple as that. I think all the dynos we have put up of 4cly turbo diesels have proven that.

You guys are putting out some bad info without facts. Putting alcohol injection on a a stock vehicle messes thing up?? Can you provide the technicle data to back up that statement? I would like to know how lower engine operating temps, lower egts 70% reduction in emissions and almost zero carbon and soot buildup in the intake and EGR passegways cause harm to your motor. If you could provide specific photos, studies, articles to prove the statement it would be apprieciated by all members. Nothing worse than bad facts.

It's a fact that 4cly turbo diesels on average pick up more power percentage wise than there V8 cousins because the engines are less efficient as well as the turbos.

On average especially with newer common rail diesels alcohol injection will destroy most chip tunes and your not touching timing or increasing boost or EGT's. Put the them together then it's a whole different ball game. Some vehicles chips will egde out alcohol injection just because they don't have the largest nozzle in place they could run. But on average it will be around 10hp difference if you go mild on the nozzle size.

Here's a example. D4D 3.0 Fortuner (stock except for front mount intercooler) Now we will compare it to a Toyota Hilux running the same D4D engine with a top mount with a 2gph nozzle using rubbing alcohol and a 4gph nozzle using Gin, Yeah I said gin (90 proof).

Here is the Hilux once we installed a 4gph nozzle we could not keep it in 2nd gear to dyno because the hp and TQ increase were to much. Now if a gain of 45 wheel hp and 80lbs of TQ don't float your boat on a vehilce that makes only 145hp stock then I don't know what to say. Don't see to many chips on the market that can out do it as well. And not for $220USD.

Example of a vehicle that the chip beat out the alcohol injection, This unit only has a 1gph nozzle pre-turbo and a 3gph nozzle at the intake. Pre-turbo is pretty much vaporized as soon as it passes the turbo so really only 3gph.

Anouther prime example of alcohol injection.
This vehicle picked up big gains to a stock vehicle with a 2gph nozzle. Please feel free to post up dynos to show any chip with a similar gain. And this thing is 11 years old. 30hp and 84lbs of TQ @ 2000rpms is not exactly poor performance.

This particular vehicle added a 1gph nozzle pre-turbo and added anouther 11hp @ 2000rpms this month so Yeah it works.

A properly installed alcohol injection system with the right size nozzle and mix will either equal, surpass or be slighly under a chipped vehicle. Most of the time it close to the same or higher.

But if you have dyno test showing otherwise please feel free to post them up and about the documented negative side affects of adding this to a stock vehicle. Plus your (testing) methods ie dynos, egt monitoring, timing, acceleration, 1/4 mile times, turbo spool times, you know real data and (right conditions to make power). Because I have been doing this for a long time and on 1000's and 1000's of vehicles worldwide and my testing says something totaly different. Please let everyone know what they should be (forwarned) about.

Sorry for the rant, but if you make a statement it should be based on your own testing and facts not copy and pasted from the internet or wika or based off of assumption. And yes the old devil is also a ASE Certified Mech for almost as long as I have been in the military 15 years.

I'll let the forum members be there own judge.

Last edited by dvldoc; July 21st, 2008 at 23:01.
dvldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:34   #75
20vK
Veteran Member

Mojogoes, empty your PM box! Can't send you the info!!
20vK is offline   Reply With Quote