www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 8th, 2007, 15:00   #46
jayfrigginjones
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 within the mountains of CO and 46 in the wind of New Mexico....don't know about flat sea-level windblocked areas.

Guy at work just installed the $750 kit from snow performance on his stock cummins. He can't tell any power gains at all, but he isn't mixing his own methanol, just buying washerfluid with high methanol content. He's disappointed because on the forums he was reading people were claiming incredible increases in power.
No exhaust
Bring it on
jayfrigginjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 16:09   #47
Diesel_Benz
Banned

TDI(s): Mercedes
Fuel Economy: 28mpg

W/M injection is not worth it. The power gain for the cost is a terrible value.

I dynoed my Mercedes with it. There was no gain at all with straight water and a 2HP gain at the wheels with a 50/50 mix. There was no EGT reduction at all no matter the mix.

Last edited by Diesel_Benz; September 8th, 2007 at 16:11.
Diesel_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 17:22   #48
weasel
Deactivated Member Account

TDI(s): None.

If you want to experiment, make your own kit. The Snow kits are a bit pricey for the slightest gain you'll get. You could use it for perpetual intake cleaning ...
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 19:49   #49
J double R
Fail Train Conductor

Fuel Economy: 45-50 mpg

seems like an IC spray system would have similar if not better results.. but that's just an assumption, as i have done neither.

J double R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 20:15   #50
NathanMSL
Veteran Member

Water methanol alone is not going to get you much. The whole purpose behind it is that you can keep your temps, like egt's, and add more fuel. More fuel = more power

Water/Meth just keeps you from melting things

2005.5 Golf PD100; RC
VNT20; ERF 6speed
FMIC; full 3" exhaust; DG short shifter
Alvin Texas
NathanMSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:42   #51
hatemi
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that Stingrays Lupo wouldn have one if it wouldnt help...
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:52   #52
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemi
I'm pretty sure that Stingrays Lupo wouldn have one if it wouldnt help...
But that's a nutcase car. I heard he basically took a huge "drill" (sure it was more precise than that suggests) to the injector nozzles to flow the maximum amount of fuel. His EGTs would be higher than most if it weren't for the aquamist type setup. I would get one if I were at that level but being around the mid 200s, it seems not necessary (yet)
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:57   #53
hatemi
Veteran Member

I will try one if I ever have enough money For now the engine rebuild is eating up all my funds and then some. Maybe next summer...
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:39   #54
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Well, IF I get the BMC box I want, I'll be freeing up some room in the top right of my engine bay. Probably enough room for a pump and separate storage bottle. But like you said, other things take priority. I gotta get that damn LSD equipped box in my car, and obtain a SMF to fit in the process.
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:36   #55
johnnloki
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 1100 km tanks, generally

You could just upgrade the washer tank to the larger size and run the water/meth from that...

Honestly, it's like an upgraded exhaust, an FMIC and a mild (5-10%) bump in power, and potentially boost/egt gauge all in the one install- saves money at the performance shop. It gives you more power, makes it stick around longer, clears up smoke and Nox (so you can kill your EGR and not have to worry about intake cleaning without feeling bad about polluting the environment)... it's a good upgrade, so far as I've seen. I've not read too many negative things about it aside from people who don't own one, but heard third hand that someone's cousin from turkmenistan doesn't like theirs, or people who've not demonstrated that they owned one/talked about it before, saying that it's not worth it 'cause they super serious had one before but just never bothered to mention it before. It seems like a scary prospect, injecting water and foreign fuel, but it's been around longer than most people who criticize it. Tried and tested as true- it's a great backup for fuelling mods, and it will lower your EGTs- you're vaporizing a cool fluid, and absorbing energy by doing so... physics.

The ability to get the controller with the boost+pyrometer functions is a good enough reason to consider it early on- typically more aggressive stages of chips won't be installed on cars without them, so why not get it out of the way?

Last edited by johnnloki; September 9th, 2007 at 04:38.
johnnloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:15   #56
devonutopia
Veteran Member

I would probably use a separate reservoir, only because my existing bottle has level sensor, and I'm not even convinced there is a larger one. Also, I run normal tap water for my washer jets, and I think the aquamist needs distilled water, or something "special" ??
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:15   #57
orion2.0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50mpg

yeah it should be distilled water. I am wondering now if it makes sense for me to get one since i am sticking with my stock turbo...I am going with pp520s and RC3euro. Maybe thats not enough fueling to need one of these. I should have bought PP764s.
orion2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:22   #58
Scott_DeWitt

There is some merit to Water/Meth injection. Some tractor pullers use it exclusively for intercooling in volumes of 3-4 GPM. Using it also steam cleans the insides of your combustion chambers up nice too.
Old September 10th, 2007, 17:25   #59
TdiRacing

We run a Snow performance Kit on our Rally Golf and I have been testing it in my car as well. Most of you are way off with gains. It is not so slight as you think. I will be posting dynos very soon. AND THE EGT REDUCTION is SIGNIFICANT. You have to tune the car for the water/Meth. It was the only way we could keep the turbos alive at pikes peak.

I show people every day how well it works in my car. All you have to do is drive it to see and feel the difference. My EGT are easily 200-300F lower with the spray. VERY KEY ON SMALLER TURBO SET UPS, like vnt 17 with high fueling and power.

You have to remember that the methanol os a fuel and have to compensate for what you are injection in the tune and in the water injection nozzle size. Most backyard kits are dont work because they do not progressivly increase the amount of injection as the boost pressure increase. The snow kit does.

Plus, they have a new kit in the works that monitors EGT via a probe as well as Boost. Will be trying this one very soon as well.

The snow kit works great. That is all I know.
I pop test and install Injectors, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, Do all maintainance and repairs for all TDI models. Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info. For all your TDI parts and service.

TdiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 13:52   #60
thermopylaetech
Veteran Member

Having watched the EGT guage on that car while transiting from US speed to European speed, yes; yes it does make a very noticable difference in temps. Power gains are all proportional IE if EGT is what's holding you back then this kit will make some serious differences, if you are looking for the next nifty gadget you probably won't see as much.
28 Main Street
Accord NY 12404

Unlimited Thinking

Unlimited Thoughts

Custom CAD-E & Fabrication Solutions for Road & Race
Unimog Sales & Equipment
Road & Race Lighting Equipment
OBDII ECU/PCM Programing
thermopylaetech is offline   Reply With Quote