www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 19th, 2006, 04:59   #1
EAGLESVAN

TDI(s): 2002 VW TDI
Default Power loss,LOUD turbo noise,heavy smoke

My 2002 TDI is now deadlined due to severe power loss. I was accelerating up a slight hill when I heard a loud Bang. I actually thought I hit something or something got caught under the car. Well the turbo noise got very very loud and I lost all but enough power to get off the roadway.

Some tests done since this show that up till 3000 RPM the turbo is silent and after 3000 RPM the turbo is very loud and kicks out excessive white smoke.

I just have the timing belt replaced about 500 miles ago and have a warning light on for a bad glow plug on #3

I looked at some of the LIMP MODE threads and none of them foucused on this type problem As my car is not drivable at all ..

Any clues for this newby ... be kind
EAGLESVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:50   #2
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy. 20-23

Well, who did the TB?

First check to see if ALL the hoses are attached EVERWHERE. But with the white smoke either your turbo blew and that is oil smoke ot the TB wasn't right and you bent/blew something possibly breaking the GP and injuring the injector.

First check the timing manually to make sure it all lines up. Including the cam. Then pull the turbo inlet and look in there with a mirror for damage.

Sounds bad because if a pipe blows off they blow black smoke.
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:51   #3
jasonTDI

oh, DON"T drive or attempt to start the car until you do this. You could possibly cost yourself an engine.
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:37   #4
daedalus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESVAN
My 2002 TDI is now deadlined due to severe power loss. I was accelerating up a slight hill when I heard a loud Bang. I actually thought I hit something or something got caught under the car. Well the turbo noise got very very loud and I lost all but enough power to get off the roadway.

Some tests done since this show that up till 3000 RPM the turbo is silent and after 3000 RPM the turbo is very loud and kicks out excessive white smoke.

I just have the timing belt replaced about 500 miles ago and have a warning light on for a bad glow plug on #3

I looked at some of the LIMP MODE threads and none of them foucused on this type problem As my car is not drivable at all ..

Any clues for this newby ... be kind
Your description sounds exactly like that of a blown turbo. I'd say that's all it is except that the TB was recently changed. I generally don't believe in coincidences so I'd be suspicous
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 14:08   #5
EAGLESVAN

TDI(s): 2002 VW TDI

Thanks for the quick response.It is currently at my friends garage and I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealer. My warranty ran out TWO days and 5,000 miles ago .. so Im screwed on that. We will check the turbo and intake tomorrow. The turbo still spins and makes alot of turbo noise but obviously something is not right..
EAGLESVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 18:24   #6
jasonTDI

The dealers TB warranty is 12/12.
Old December 19th, 2006, 18:28   #7
alphaseinor

Fuel Economy: 35 in city floored, 48 on highway @75mph

did you pop a hose off the turbo? or the intercooler to the intake?
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 18:55   #8
Canadian_Grizzly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Follow Jasons advice and do not start the car again...if the seal is gone it could suck engine oil causing a runaway engine and toast it. Symptoms sound like a blown turbo. For your reading pleasure... http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=927170
Good Luck,

"There is lots of work to be done, if we are to achieve the kind of society people have the right to expect." Tommy Douglas

Having trouble with limp mode... Troubleshooting Low Power

Having trouble searching? Read this thread on advance search in forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133579

Last edited by Canadian_Grizzly; December 19th, 2006 at 18:57.
Canadian_Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 16:54   #9
bugablue
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 beetle
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg metric. average

Check the ducting from the turbo to the intake. I am sure you blew off a hose. If you can hear the turbo, obviously its still working, but just think of how loud it would be if all the air is being evacuated right on the other side of the firewall. I know the sound and I know the result and the way you described is the exact thing my car did when my lower intercooler hose blew off.
bugablue is offline   Reply With Quote