www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 17th, 2006, 13:28   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default MOGolf Mk IV skid plate mod

For those of us with the VW steel skid plate we know how difficult it is to get on and off due to the front bar welded to the plate. I've modified mine so it is now bolt on like the Mk V VW steel skid plate.

The bar as factory installed. It is welded to the plate.

You'll note that the bar is actually a channel with a plate welded on the open side. It is hollow inside.

I drilled three 1/2 inch holes through the bar and skid plate from the bar side centered at the locations of the outermost welds and center weld. Originally I planned to put five bolts in at the five weld points, but drilling three through the steel was hard enough. I actually got four pilot holes drilled as you'll see in the pictures.

After drilling the holes, I used fiberglass cutoff wheels to cut the welds and separate the bar from the plate.

Next I inserted a bolt (N 100 704 03) through the plate and put a three eigths inch internal tooth washer on.

Then screwed on a rivnut (N 908 106 01). The internal tooth washer will help to hold this from spinning when tightened into place.

Next I turned over the bar onto the rivnuts, turned the assembly over and with short burst from the electric impact wrench I tightened the rivnuts into place.

Note that the rivnuts will protrude through the bar. If necessary and if you have the right equipment you could tack weld these to the bar.

Last edited by MOGolf; December 17th, 2006 at 13:30.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 16:51   #2
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Cool idea. If I didn't have access to lift I would do this. Crawling on the ground under the car on jack stands I can see how maneuvering that heavy skid plate can be tough. On the other hand I just push the whole thing to one side so the bar comes out of the cover plate then slide it back the other way. Maybe once I get over the $$$ spent on it and it has some dings I'll get the nerve to do this.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 20:47   #3
tongsli
Veteran Member

Nice modification Glen. This also keeps you from having to twist and bend the side skirts to get the plate off of the car.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:00   #4
alhutch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Glen,

That is a great mod and something I'll have to try soon. This is how I wish the skid plate was set up from the factory. Thanks for sharing.

Al
alhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 15:49   #5
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

That will definately be done over christmas break - one of those Duh! things, why didn't I think of that. I'm tired of fighting it each time.

Good idea/work
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:08   #6
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

A few hints...

1) There are 5 welds on both sides of the cross bar. I had mine rhino coated when it was new and they put it on really thick (~0.25"!), so only saw the welds on the front side. I should have looked at the pictures more closely.

2) The cross bar does not have much/any compression strength being hollow and wide, so drilling a through hole and welding a nut on the top side gives you the feeling of never getting tight because you are just crushing the cross bar. Rivnuts are definately the good idea here, that or tapping the cross bar itself through both sides

3) Place the 3 fasteners at 10", 20" and 30" from the passenger outside end of the cross bar (where it fastens to the post that is attached to the car). This keeps you clear of the radiator hose on the bottom and lines up well with the ribs in the plate so it "looks" right.

I mangled the cross bar pretty good getting it off, I tried to chisel off the back 5 welds from the front, thinking that once they got some flex in them they would just break.....I was wrong. My 30 minute project took 2 hours and I ended up with a mangled piece in the end that didn't fit great and required lots of "re-adjustments" with a 40oz hammer to get everythign to line up right.

Don't try to take shortcuts on this - as simple as it is. Get the rivnuts or drill a big enought hole in the cross bar so you can weld a stack of nuts in or your own spacer like what is on the two ends. A welded nut on the top works, but you won't like it. Try and get as much of all 10 welds cut off with a cutoff wheel as you can, you can't get them 3/4's of the way then wack it good with a chisel, you will just bend the plate and the bar.

Does anyone know if the rivnuts mentioned here (N 908 106 01) are the same as the ones in the back of the skidplate? I have one stripped out.

Good luck - hope I didn't scare anyone off here, just trying to help you have a better experience and outcome than I had.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 15:02   #7
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Yes they are the same rivnuts as used in the rear bolt locations, and the front post locations. Although you might be tempted to insert the rivnuts into the bar from the side away from the plate, you'll find that the rivnuts extends out the other side too far even when "crushed". They'd also be as if you welded nuts on top as noted above.

I did revisit this and put in two more bolts/rivnuts as originally planned. No particular reason why.

Only the one location indicated above by the hole without a bolt can potentially interfere with the lower radiator hose. It doesn't actually contact the hose but it comes close. Nothing causes interference at the other locations.

As FUB indicates, cut all 10 welds.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 14:07   #8
TDI_Convert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg average

I called the local stealership (now I know why they are called that) for prices on the bolts and rivnuts. Bolts were quoted as $3.87 each, and the rivnuts were quoted $4.13 each. U.S.$$, not Canadian!

Looks like I'll call dieselgeek and see how much he wants for them.

If it comes down to it, I'll make my own weld-in "nuts".
Old January 23rd, 2007, 19:52   #9
silvurtdi

My bellypan is plastic and is destroyed. Is the metal bellypan special? Where could I get one for cheap? It might be a more reasonable route than a panzer plate.
silvurtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:02   #10
Occams_Razor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvurtdi
My bellypan is plastic and is destroyed. Is the metal bellypan special? Where could I get one for cheap? It might be a more reasonable route than a panzer plate.
The steel bellypan was a VW factory option that came on cars with the rough road package available in Europe. As a factory option it fits exactly as the factory intended using existing mount points, (you have to install the rivitnuts but the holes are already there).

I think it was SVTWeb that found out about the existence of it and installed the first one on a MK4. (if you search back far enough you should be able to find the post about his install as well as his install of the MK5 one that he just did on his new jetta).

Dieselgeek used to sell a kit with all the parts and the steelpan but I am not sure if he still has it available.
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:57   #11
Jettawolfs98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/38/30

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvurtdi
cheap I don't know, check the evolution import aluminium plate

I'll get one this very soon.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 19:02   #12
blueprintbill

TDI(s): A3 TDI 2011
Default Belly Pan

Question,
Is not the plastic pan more of an aerodynamic device than a protective one?
blueprintbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 19:04   #13
compu_85
Gadget Guy

That and sound.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:25   #14
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 50mpg on B100

Keeps grime off the engine, helps the turbo actuator last longer.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 23:58   #15
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

There was nothing cheap about the VW plate as it was over 300$ and that was back 10 years ago before the others started making plates
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote